r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Google FTW

Finally an ISP that freely admits cost is all about the physical network, not about the bandwidth you use.

I would get this in a second.
Who wouldn't pay $300 for 7 years of 5mbps internet???
Getting 1gbps connection is very temping for file transfering and using my companies VPN. Literally everything you connect to will be maxed out based on the other ends connection.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv

Anon

Finally another ISP that lies?

No matter what it costs, bandwidth still has a cost. There is no denying that. And of course physical cost of the network is important, it's a big number.

10 of google's 1gbit customers will not pay for a 10gbit router port anytime soon, and that's without the bandwidth cost.

As soon as they have multiple customers running 1gbit/sec 24x7x365, they'll certainly do something about those.

All ISP's run with the assumption that not all customers will use all of the physical network AND bandwidth at the same time, because it is expensive.

Google hasn't done anything magical here, they overbuilt a loss leader. It's great promotion for them.

I won't deny it's great for the individual that can get the cheap service. But that doesn't mean in the end that the service is being fully paid for.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by skuv :

Google hasn't done anything magical here, they overbuilt a loss leader. It's great promotion for them.

Exactly. I'm not sure why other people don't seem to get this. Google will lose money on this network which is subsidized by their massive advertising revenues and people will claim that every ISP could do a gigabit for $70/mo. As you stated, at $70/mo, they may never recoup their costs on the physical infrastructure, much less the ongoing costs of getting that bandwidth there.