Premium Member
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

1 edit

gozer9 to carajean206

Premium Member

to carajean206

Re: New Netgear 7550 cant get to gateway need assistance

I'm not sure what is causing the block but b/c skype works it must be connecting by an IP address thats why it and the ping command works something is not configured for your DNS servers.

I would use the DNS feture in your linksys to do this and recomend using one of the public DNS servers not Frontiers.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

said by gozer9:

. . . recomend using one of the public DNS servers not Frontiers.

Really? Why?
gozer9
Premium Member
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

gozer9

Premium Member

well I have been with Frontier for more than 9 years and during my time with them I have seen them do many bad things and try thier dns servers and then try some others I know theres a difference and no I'm not just basing this on my own as to how say surfing acts but have run long term responce times for Frontiers compared to some of the pub dns servers and well not even including the fact that I can fell the diif I allso see it in actual timings. this has not allways been the case but it is now so use w/e dns you want but atleast try some otheres.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to NOYB

MVM

to NOYB
I use Public DNS Servers on any connection I set up. They are always hands down better in performance, reliability, and actually following RFCs. Not to mention, they're typically more up to date to processing specific types of records. Some of them such as OpenDNS also provide some nifty features.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Agree 100% with Smith6612, always better.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

I use Public DNS Servers on any connection I set up. They are always hands down better in performance, reliability, and actually following RFCs. Not to mention, they're typically more up to date to processing specific types of records. Some of them such as OpenDNS also provide some nifty features.

Not better performance here.

Can't remember the last time I had an ISP DNS reliability issue.

Which RFCs is Frontier DNS not following that Google, OpenDNS, or Level3 DNS are?

Which specific types of records are Google, OpenDNS, or Level3 DNS processing that Frontier is not?

OpenDNS also does redirection (DNS helper). Correct? Do they have redirection opt-out (without an account)?

Unless there is some specific must have need, I opt for the typically faster ISP (Frontier) DNS servers. Though since queries are locally cached, a few milliseconds speed diff is not typically much of an impact.

Being closer to the customer, ISPs if they chose to take advantage of it have a performance advantage over 3rd party DNS providers. For as long as I've been with Verizon/Frontier FiOS their DNS servers have always been the fastest for me. And I've never had any significant reliability problem. And they seem to be resolving all the record types I need. As for nifty features, well that's not DNS's role, and they are probably not RFC/standards.

So unless there is some specific capability I must have, there is no reason to use 3rd party DNS servers. I do use the non-helper servers though. And if they didn't provide those I'd almost certainly use a 3rd party that didn't do redirection.

In my opinion people make a DNS mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to ISP vs. 3rd party. I get tired of blanket statements that 3rd party DNS is always better than ISP, it's just not the case, and recommending people switch without a specific reason/need. 3rd party DNS is not the best for everyone in all cases.

My recommendation for Verizion/Frontier customers is to use ISPs DNS unless there is a specific reason 3rd party DNS is needed.

DNS Benchmark

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612

MVM

I mentioned OpenDNS separate as their servers can be set up to either violate RFCs in exchange for features that people might use, or follow RFCs if you disable the appropriate stuff in your account. I don't suggest using them without an account.

Do the Frontier servers (stock, not the "clean" ones you manually have to set anyways) you use perform NXDOMAIN Redirection to a search page? There's an RFC violation right there. OpenDNS doesn't when configured, but Level3's DNS and Google DNS do not do that. You just get an NXDOMAIN back which is how it should be.

Also in my case, lookup times were significantly improved, and to CDNs speeds were also better on both my Frontier and Verizon line. The same can be said with Cable connections in my area. The servers I feed out of at Frontier for DNS are in Rochester, right where my connection heads to but have performance issues at night and they redirect as it is. The servers I picked have consistent performance.

Why I use 3rd party DNS isn't "Just because." My arguments are dry as my argumentation skills are poor but the move isn't without merit. I also cannot think of a time where a combination of Level3 + Google DNS hasn't ever gone down. 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3, 4.2.2.4 all point to DNS servers around the world similar to the way OpenDNS Functions. I don't know how 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 function in this regard but I've remained online when ISP DNS has acted up or gone down.

Also, where's a DNSSEC server on Frontier's network or processing for unusually large records?
gregoryshock
join:2012-09-11

gregoryshock

I am new to this site, as well I am also new to DSL. For 5 years I had to be on Verizon Wireless, since Verizon refused to open a DSL line to where I live. Finally Frontier bought my area, and now I finally have DSL as an option. Since Verizon Wireless had gone to "limited internet access" I was extra eager to make the switch from Verizon Wireless to Frontier DSL. I joined up with a site called howtogeek.com It was there I learned about openDNS. I checked into it and decided I really liked the features they have to offer. For me it isn't the extra speed or the reliability that I like them. It is for the extra features they offer. At the time I could use openDNS by setting up my individual computer only. One had to set the computer up and then it would work (sorta) openDNS began failing because Verizon Wireless would continually switch something. I gave up and uninstalled openDNS. After I got my new Frontier Netgear Model 7550 I thought I could change it to the openDNS IP. But so far I haven't been able to figure out how. I first contacted Frontier via online chat support, and they said that all I had to do is set up the openDNS in the modem. I got into the modem and started looking around. I couldn't find where I could put in the IP addresses. Next I went to the openDNS forums and asked them. They told me that you can't put those IPs into my modem. Next I went to howtogeek and showed my screen shots there... So far they haven't been able to figure it out either. But someone just gave me an idea how maybe I could do it.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Log into the modem at »192.168.1.1/ and choose My Connected Home (or My Network) then click on "Network Connections" from the left hand side navigation. From there, choose the edit button for the Broadband Connection (DSL). Under VCs, select the edit button for the option 0/35 which should be the only one enabled besides ATMLBCK (ATM Loopback). From that point, DNS Primary and DNS Secondary are where you fill in OpenDNS's IP addresses.

Save, and possibly reboot the gateway if need be and the Gateway will proxy off your DNS requests to OpenDNS instead of Frontier's offered servers.

Strider7Sfga
@50.42.22.x

Strider7Sfga to gregoryshock

Anon

to gregoryshock
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
It's a waste of time trying to get any real help from 1st level tech support by telephone. Ask for a supervisor or have them schedule an in home technician visit if you're not real tech savvy. You're already paying the tab for equipment rental / support, so may as well avail yourself of it. Anyhow, It's pretty simple to set up different DNS servers to replace the Frontier DNS.
Go To: »192.168.254.254/htmlV/we ··· Main.htm to view the Browser based, settings GUI. Easy, 3 click process.
Click where you see the Red Arrow's to change DNS. Remember to right down previous settings before changing anything so you avoid having to resort to a "default settings modem reset."