tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
reply to ArrayList

Re: my only gripe

Excite@Home, ATTBI, ATT DSL, Comcast, TWC, Charter - just about every company i've ever paid for residential service has prohibited hosting servers.

At one point, ATTBI used to actively scan their network to search for HTTP servers... At the time their only offering was 1.5mbps down, and 128kbps up...

Typically, the part about hosting servers being prohibited in your contract is actually just an excuse for them to cancel your service if it becomes clear that you're using a cheap residential connection to run a profitable server hosting business. Otherwise, most companies dont want to bother with actually policing their network.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
My previous ISPs(Mediacom and AT&T and Comcast) all said that they would not support it, but it was allowed for personal use. This pretty much is in line with what you said about not making money on your internet connection for a server hosting business.