Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2

Details?

viper200

join:2012-07-31
Virginia Beach, VA

It has to do with Verizon blocking the app used for Tethering. Looks like the will have to open it up.

Jackal1

join:2010-08-10
Lincoln, NE
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to viper200

I wouldn't call it being smacked. The only thing they have to do is allow people to tether if they have metered access. Which they do with their new plans. Unlimited people still aren't allowed to tether and the FCC ruling doesn't change that because it only refers to metered users.

So, the only people this affects are those who are on metered plans (such as 2GB/mo) that are pre-share everything.

Also, how does VZ lose with this? If they turn tethering on, you just use your data bucket quicker, and have to buy more data from VZ.

Fail, FCC. Fail.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

said by Jackal1:

Also, how does VZ lose with this? If they turn tethering on, you just use your data bucket quicker, and have to buy more data from VZ.

Not for people still with unlimited data !

Think this FCC case factored into VZW's big push to get everyone on shared, fixed-amount data plans ?

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA
reply to viper200

Zdnet says VZ will charge $20 a month to tethering, but PCmag says they can't tell if someone is using a 3rd party tethering app.

If I start tethering, will I get charged? I have unlimited, if that is relevant to my question.

»www.zdnet.com/verizon-no-free-te···0001987/

»www.pcworld.com/article/260184/v···nes.html

hoyleysox
Premium
Long Beach, CA

When I try to enable "Internet Connection Mode," my VZ Thunderbolt returns the exclamation-mark-in-triangle message: "Warning If you would like to subscribe to Mobile Hostpot/Mobile Broaband Connect, call: Consumer (800) 256-4646 Business: (800)899-4249."

I seldom need to tether and hate calling any IVRU customer service line so I do not want to subscribe to the Wish I could activate mobile hotspot on a daily basis, when needed instead of with a monthly subscription so I do not want to subscribe to Mobile Hostspot..

Ironically: I have recently received flash flood warnings with the same triangle-exclamation mark logo.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by hoyleysox:

When I try to enable "Internet Connection Mode," my VZ Thunderbolt returns the exclamation-mark-in-triangle message: "Warning If you would like to subscribe to Mobile Hostpot/Mobile Broaband Connect, call: Consumer (800) 256-4646 Business: (800)899-4249."

I seldom need to tether and hate calling any IVRU customer service line so I do not want to subscribe to the Wish I could activate mobile hotspot on a daily basis, when needed instead of with a monthly subscription so I do not want to subscribe to Mobile Hostspot..

Ironically: I have recently received flash flood warnings with the same triangle-exclamation mark logo.

Me too. Oddly, the $30 option for tethering is still available for me to get on my account on the web site. Wonder if I add that if they'll charge me?

FoxIT won't work on my t'bolt. Sadly.

hoyleysox
Premium
Long Beach, CA

said by ke4pym:

Me too. Oddly, the $30 option for tethering is still available for me to get on my account on the web site. Wonder if I add that if they'll charge me?

Please update if you find something that works. Couldn't get PDAnet, EasyTether and a few others to work either. :-(

hoyleysox
Premium
Long Beach, CA
reply to ke4pym

said by ke4pym:

said by hoyleysox:

Figured it out! PDA Net + Bluetooth ftw. Very happy now.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to viper200

if i just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 and still retained my unlimited on 4G LTE, is the hotspot feature still unlimited or capped?

thebeav

@myvzw.com

I started with a droid x and unlimited data a couple years ago. Tethered with easy tether. Last month upgraded to razer max and 4g. Still using easy tether, no problems.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to viper200

Anyone get the free tethering to work with the iPhone?