uniqs
share rss forum feed

jpgr
WAR

join:2011-08-18
Clyde, OH

4 edits

frontier will be using a mix of bonded adsl2+ and vdsl2 tech

They said they can get speeds up to 20 megs with this technology but what is it anyone know ?

''Frontier will be using a mix of bonded ADSL2+ and VDSL2 technology to deliver these speeds''

Is it fios or DSL they said 80 % should be able to get 6 megs

heres the paragrahp from

Frontier Communications Management Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Daniel J. McCarthy - President, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Operating Officer - Electric Lightwave

Thanks, Maggie. Slide 8 shows our network enhancement plans from June 30, 2012, through the end of the year and into 2013. We're enabling a significant increase in customer speed, most notably in 6, 12 and 20 megabit per second service.

We expect our 20 meg service to move from 28% of residential households today to 42% by year-end and then 52% by the end of 2013. The 12 meg services planned to increase from 33% of homes today to 51% by year-end and 60% by 2013. And the 6 meg service is planned to increase from 57% of homes today to 74% by year-end and 80% by 2013. The ability to drive these quick increases as due to our recently-completed system conversions, which lets us utilize the advanced features of our DSLAM architecture. That is also due to the extensive investments we've made in the middle-mile transport system. Frontier will be using a mix of bonded ADSL2+ and VDSL2 technology to deliver these speeds, each of which has unique advantages depending on the market and specific deployment.

In addition, we're enhancing the network to deliver VoIP services for business and are also continuing to invest in Ethernet capabilities which, by year-end, will cover 71% of our commercial customer locations. Importantly, the cost to deliver the higher speeds VoIP and Ethernet is all within our stated CapEx guidance. And this roadmap will allow us to meet our FCC commitments in terms of timing and speeds.

Turning to Slide 9, you can see the continued improvements in our overall business and in particular, the positive impacts we've seen from running states on our own systems. Total access line loss rates for acquired properties were 8.5% and compared to our solid legacy business at 6%. West Virginia, which converted to Frontier systems on July 1, 2010, has shown a dramatic improvement from 11.2% to 4.2%. While we don't expect all the acquired properties to get to this level, we are seeing good improvements in the other converted states as the 8.5% results indicate. Residential customer churn also continues to decline and all the acquired properties are closing in on legacy at 1.4%. Broadband availability improved to 85% overall.

On our 3 meg commitment to the FCC, we are at 79% and need to be at 80% by year-end 2012, a level we expect to exceed. We're looking forward to improving these metrics and believe that our speed increases will help make it possible. With system convergence behind us, all areas of the organization are aligned to improve service and increase customer revenues. Network design and engineering, field operations and marketing are working together towards this goal.

I'll now hand the call over to Don Shassian, Frontier's Chief Financial Officer.

any thoughts!
»seekingalpha.com/article/767941-···re&ifp=0

Doug Huffman

join:2007-07-27
Washington Island, WI

Re: frontier bonding adsl 2 + vdsl

Very-high-bit-rate DSL

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL
--
Washington Island, Wisconsin across Death's Door Passage

jpgr
WAR

Clyde, OH

ya I'v been reading that sounds, good looks like there starting to invest on pushing speeds higher. I beleive them, since they did reach rural folks like me . So I have no doubt they realize higher speed more money!

clintonL

join:2008-08-13
Georgetown, OH

said by jpgr:

ya I'v been reading that sounds, good looks like there starting to invest on pushing speeds higher. I beleive them, since they did reach rural folks like me . So I have no doubt they realize higher speed more money!

I agree with you. I am currently on the call list to be informed as soon as it is available in our area.
Expand your moderator at work

NekoSaur

join:2011-08-03
Jackson, MI

I received a call from Frontier today and was told I am now eligible for the 12Mbps "Ultra" speed. The CO equiptment is roughly 2000 ft from my house and was installed about this time last year.
Amazing! Should be turned on tomorrow.

Intrepid1

join:2011-06-15

I wish they would hurry up with the hookups in central WI. They finally joined the fiber together this summer but I have yet to see any remotes go out (assuming that's what they plan on doing).

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
reply to jpgr

Re: frontier will be using a mix of bonded adsl2+ and vdsl2 tech

Darn I'm three miles from the co... 10,000 feet is only about 2 miles.

But they still may be able to bond a couple of channels together to get me to 6mb down.

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

1 edit
reply to Frontierrep

$56 for 25meg? comcast is 50meg for the same price and thats with a 10meg upload.

why even waste the time/money if you aren't even going to be competitive.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to Frontierrep

Frontierrep, what are the current plans for the Rochester, NY area ?
--
DirecTV is pretty neat. If you want a referral ask me.

Dolfan

join:2010-12-03
reply to plat2on1

Because cable cherry picks where they want to serve so a lot of people don't have that option.

Action2

join:2010-06-29
Newman, IL
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

That is very true about cable. I'm in a Comcast service area and can not get cable internet, but I can get Frontier 7.1Mb DSL. Hopefully they deploy this bonded technology to some of the smaller towns, I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little extra for 10+ Mb.

Are these bonded plans still coupled with 768k upload or are they bumping it up at all to say 1Mb?

COjosh

join:2011-02-21

Most of the bonded plans will have a 2Mb upload, but I think there is also a 15/5 tier as well for those about 6700ft or less from the CO.

lemmytech

join:2008-08-19
Rochester, NY

Is that 6700ft total loop or one way distance?

COjosh

join:2011-02-21

One way distance

NekoSaur

join:2011-08-03
Jackson, MI

Click for full size
Click for full size
Got it installed today! Made a post on the "Michigan install" thread.
The 12Mbps "ultra" service was in fact a bonded ADSL2+ solution. So far so good - works really well.

Stats included for your perusal

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I wonder when it will be added to other areas, why they are not doing it everywhere yet and if it is dependent on the DSLAM installed. They just put the DSLAM's up here a year ago and we get 5-6 MB and they are fiber fed. I wonder if those will be capable of receiving it. All they have to do is connect you into a second ethernet port and give you a bonded modem isn't it?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

The DSLAMs need to be ADSL2/ADSL2+ units that support bonding natively. Otherwise Frontier will have to use other techniques to bond the connections (MLPPP, etc). In legacy areas such as what I come out of, the BRAS or DSLAM would most likely need to be replaced before any such upgrades can be made, but it all depends on the equipment and it's age. VPN bonding is an option but that is additional overhead against the network and on the user's router.

cool88

@frontiernet.net

so does any one know if the people like me thats modem set to adsl NOT adsl2+ will get upgrade where we can get the full 3mbps instead 1.3mbps to 1.1mbps or will we not get anything frontier been here for like 5 or 6 years know the high speed been here for about 2 or 3 years know

cool88

@frontiernet.net

here what i get should i beable to get more than 1.1 to 1.3mbps i should beable to get 3or6mbps or what should i beable to get and is my line mode set to the old ADSL or is it ADSL2+

Transceiver Statistics
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1344 192
Margin (dB) 30.3 31.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 22.5 12.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.8 11.9

jpgr
WAR

Clyde, OH

you should be able to get way faster speeds you need to email your regional manager or upgrade your speed tier !

jpgr
WAR

Clyde, OH
reply to cool88

you should get at least 5m down

jpgr
WAR

Clyde, OH
reply to NekoSaur

see Frontier keeps there word it started off rough but it coming in smooth I heard copper technology is getting alot more advance more then any other in the world . Watch in 10 years all us DSL user will think of how slow we started and how fast our speeds have gottin just like dial up !

cool88

@frontiernet.net
reply to jpgr

i was told i will get 3mbps i have never seen the 3mbps since i have had frontier

cool88

@frontiernet.net
reply to jpgr

like should the modem like reset to the speed that i was told i would get if i trun it off

cool88

@frontiernet.net
reply to jpgr

so is my line like great or what???

cool88

@frontiernet.net
reply to jpgr

but do you think i could get the 6mbps if it was in my area

dsless

join:2001-05-16
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to jpgr

Re: frontier will be using a mix of bonded adsl2+ and vdsl2 tech

My sister is still stuck @ 1.5M/768K. She has not seen any speed changes for 10 years and is not eligible. So much for Frontier upgrading the areas in Huntington WV.