Search similar:

uniqs
Expand your moderator at work

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

Re: frontier bonding adsl 2 + vdsl

i do not like hughesnet they have caps and 1 second lag on gaming i will stick with dsl and i think frontier will upgrade us because the cable company is getting closer and make it where more can get 12 and 50mbps speeds i am happy with frontier and will hope to see them upgrade the speeds where we can get atleast 6mbps and will be happy when i see my full 3mbps

motoman
join:2006-03-21
Arcola, IN

motoman to jpgr

to jpgr

Re: frontier will be using a mix of bonded adsl2+ and vdsl2 tech

I just had this installed today. Then the tech tells me that VDSL will be available here next week.
So, I'll upgrade again next week.

Here are the speeds I get with the bonding service.
qi6588
join:2009-05-19
Shepherdstown, WV

qi6588 to dsless

to dsless
I feel your pain. Outside of Shepherdstown, we've been stuck at the same speeds as you though we've only had DSL for a about 4 years or so. No increase in speed has ever been advertised so I think we're hosed for the foreseeable future. I used to have Hughsnet but it played havoc with my remote login to work so DSL was the only viable option.

What's sad (pathetic?) is that my ATT cellular signal is 3x faster and more reliable. In fact, tonight's DSL connection is so lousy I'm using the cell as a hotspot -- again.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

qi6588 - Yes indeed. WV appears to be forgotten, except for the Charleston area. Frontier has stated that they have invested heavily in WV, but that appears to be only the area that was previously Verizon and near the capital. Those of us that are legacy or live in the rural areas have seen zero improvement, in fact as you have stated we have seen regression vice progression.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to Frontierrep

Premium Member

to Frontierrep

A few years ago was when I last had Frontier DSL. I am less than a quarter of a mile away from one of your DSLAM's . The very best download speed I saw at that time was maybe 7 mb/sec and the upload was close to 1. However, there were issues and my speed fluctuated around quite a bit. In addition, at that time, one of your higher up techs uncovered an issue with how the CO's were communicating with each other one day when I let him run some remote tests. He said then that it was going to cost some big bucks to fix the system and they did let me out of my contract.

It has been several years now and I guess that I am just curious if repairs have indeed been made and what speed levels could be offered to me. Of course, I would not switch unless A.) The price was right and B.) They would guarantee me that I would see a certain speed and then deliver it consistently.

The only other thing I did not like the last time I had Frontier was the hidden taxes. My hope would be that Frontier would give me a price that included everything.

Thanks for the reply Frontierrep.
Expand your moderator at work
COjosh
join:2011-02-21

COjosh to Racerbob

to Racerbob

If you had Frontier right after the take over from Verizon I don't doubt that a "higher up tech" found congestion between CO's...that problem of "how the CO's were communicating with each other" was backbone congestion from the CO's to the various aggregators they were attached to..

There have been VAST improvements made in many areas, but there are still many that need work, I don't want to give you false hope because I'm not familiar w/ NY.

If they made improvements to your CO, on the ROADM-if you have a redundant ring network that is, you should see VASTLY improved performance from what you used to have.

To answer your "A & B" scenarios-

A: Frontier's pricing is fairly competitive but it varies market to market. The only way to tell what is currently available, and it's pricing, would be to call in and ask. Frontier does offer a stand-alone HSI service now called "Simply Broadband" which doesn't require you to have POTS.
B: There will NEVER be any guarantees, in my opinion, on the speeds you are being provided. That's why all their marketing says "UP TO x Mbps"

..The long and short of it is that if you had service right after the transition there were LOTS of problems EVERYWHERE but, despite popular opinion, improvements HAVE been made in various markets.

Good Luck

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

If the letter I received from Frontier is correct and you live in a former Verizon area you will see upgrades per the take over agreement. Doesn't mention anything about legacy or rural customers.
Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

Action2 to NekoSaur

to NekoSaur
I got my install a day early, I'm all hooked up but I can't seem to log in to the Comtrend nexuslink 5631 modem.

It uses the 192.168.254.254 address but I can't seem to find a working User/Pass combo.

Any ideas what would it could be?
NekoSaur
join:2011-08-03
Jackson, MI

NekoSaur

My installer had the same issue. It took a phone escalation to a higher tier Frontier agent to finally find the answer!

IP (as you stated) is 192.168.254.254
Username : admin
Password : root

Amazing that this information does not ship with the router, huh?

On a side note - this Comtrend router is pretty crappy. It serves up pages very slowly and the wifi is 802.11g only. Wired Ethernet is only 10/100.
I'm not expecting miracles here, but you can get much better routing equiptment for pretty cheap.

In my install I turned off the wireless, changed the router IP to 192.168.0.1 (easier to remember) and set it up to act as a DHCP for my Apple AirPort Extreme.

MUCH faster page loads doing it this way. Takes a big load off of the Comtrend, which can't seem to handle it well on its own.

As an aside - leave the Frotier DNS server setting ALONE. I was getting terrible speeds (3-5Mbps max) after setting the DNS servers to Google / OpenDNS. I don't know why, but Frontier's DNS servers allow me to download at 10-11Mbps if I leave them as is. Weird.

Hope this helps!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by NekoSaur:

As an aside - leave the Frotier DNS server setting ALONE. I was getting terrible speeds (3-5Mbps max) after setting the DNS servers to Google / OpenDNS. I don't know why, but Frontier's DNS servers allow me to download at 10-11Mbps if I leave them as is. Weird.

Hope this helps!

Probably due to the way the DNS servers point to caching servers. With Frontier's you're probably getting ones closer to the edge or on specific links set up for such use. I use Level3 DNS on my Frontier line and I don't see speed issues, but my connection has no choice but to go to Virginia anyways for data. I don't see speed issues and DNS lookups are actually a bit quicker!
Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

Action2 to NekoSaur

to NekoSaur
Thanks it worked. It is surprising how hard it is to find this information.

It seems we have slightly different versions of the Comtrend or maybe the firmware but I have attached the statistics as a comparison.

I'm not sure what they did, but my latency is lower with the bonded setup compared to just a single ADSL line.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

They may have moved you to a FastPath Profile. Your Interleaver depth is practically nothing and you show no delay from interleaving if those are correct.

Frontier may also have you on some newer, faster circuits or networks dedicated for the bonded setups. That may be worthwhile to look into if we don't get any official confirmation.
NekoSaur
join:2011-08-03
Jackson, MI

NekoSaur to Action2

to Action2
Great to hear - good speeds!
I had the same thing happen with my latency as well. With a single DSL line I would never get below 50ms. With a bonded setup I am getting between 18-30ms.

Anyone care to explain why this would be? Does having row physical lines give a measurable advantage?
nfgbrian
Toronto, ON

nfgbrian to jpgr

to jpgr

I just found out that the 25mbps is available at my address this morning, so I went ahead and upgraded. Rep said I should expect between 20 - 24mbps. much better than the 5 I have been receiving. Anyone know if this is still a bonded ADSL2+ service? I'm interested to see what they'll be installing this Friday.

Not sure about the latency. I've been consistently under 20ms on ADSL, but if bonding makes it even lower than bring it on.
mkrasz
join:2000-03-06
Rochester, NY

mkrasz

The 25M/3M service will be VDSL.
Captain39
join:2009-12-22
Dexter City, OH

Captain39 to jpgr

to jpgr
How are you finding out that you can upgrade? Are they calling or what?
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier to Racerbob

to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

A few years ago was when I last had Frontier DSL. I am less than a quarter of a mile away from one of your DSLAM's . The very best download speed I saw at that time was maybe 7 mb/sec and the upload was close to 1.

Here in Brighton, less than a mile from the city line, Frontier barely managed 3.1Mbps back in 2009. We're served out of the Field Street central office, not one of the DSLAMs or satellite remotes they have on Allens Creek Road or Westfall, so we got the serious short end. They did not even blink when we wanted out.

That was the beginning of the end for Frontier and I after decades of phone service. I always kept my phone line with Frontier for redundancy, but eventually TWC offered a better deal and I have been satisfied with their phone service.

I'd love to have a backup supplier for broadband, but I won't even consider Frontier at the speeds they were offering. If/when they do something about the Elmwood Ave/12 Corners area, we'll see.
nfgbrian
Toronto, ON

nfgbrian to jpgr

to jpgr

I had to call to ask what offers were currently available in my area. I would have never known if I didn't make the call.

Anyone know what modem they use for VDSL?
mkrasz
Rochester, NY

mkrasz

For VDSL: ZyXel P870 or Actiontec V1000

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to mkrasz

MVM

to mkrasz
Gotta pump that upload muscle a bit! 3Mbps is a bit... skimpy to say the least for VDSL(2) . But it's a start from 384kbps!
mkrasz
Rochester, NY

mkrasz

Agreed. The top Business tier delivered via VDSL is 40/10.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to jpgr

Premium Member

to jpgr
I had a flyer from Frontier on my door knob when I arrived home from work today. My area has apparently been upgraded. I have been invited to a demonstration of the new speed that is to be held right around the corner from me next Wednesday afternoon. This is the first time that they have set up any sort of neighborhood demonstration in my area. Seems that they really wish to showcase their products.

The flyer says that a one year commitment is required for service.

$57.99 a month for phone and internet up to 6 Mbps
$67.99 a month for phone and internet up to 12 Mbps
$77.99 a month for phone and internet up to 25 Mbps

I have no desire for phone service from anyone. I am curious about any offers they might have that does not include the phone. I will attend the demonstration next Wednesday and hopefully get some questions answered.
mkrasz
Rochester, NY

mkrasz

The service is also available without the phone service. It is called Simply Broadband.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

Any idea of what the pricing is like on the stand alone product ?
nfgbrian
Toronto, ON

nfgbrian

I think I'm paying around $74 dollars a month for the 25/3 package without phone service, if I could get anyone to come and install it. No call no show for the first appointment and its looking like the same thing for today. Typical service that I expect from Frontier.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

said by nfgbrian:

I think I'm paying around $74 dollars a month for the 25/3 package without phone service, if I could get anyone to come and install it. No call no show for the first appointment and its looking like the same thing for today. Typical service that I expect from Frontier.

They guarantee install up here within a two hour window. At least that is what their flyer says.