Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Mountain Lion kind of sucks...

Anyone else with me on this? Lion was good with the gestures, but beyond complete integration with your portable istuff, this update is largely useless. 200 new features? BS

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Works great for me. Airplay Mirroring, Messages, Notification Center, Reminders/Notes, iCloud documents, hardware h.264 encoding make it well worth the $20 upgrade.

What were you expecting exactly? It's an incremental upgrade.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
For $20 like Thinkdiff said, it's a worth while upgrade.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

Anyone else with me on this?

No, you are completely on your own. The usability of ML is leaps and bounds more polished than Lion was. I've also seen a LOT fewer problems with this upgrade than with the SL->Lion upgrade already.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to WK2

to WK2
said by WK2:

For $20 like Thinkdiff said, it's a worth while upgrade.

HBO GO mirrors to HDTV...that's worth $20.
If I never use anything else...it's paid for itself.
Of course I use the new Notification Center all the time and I'm looking forward to this fall's Facebook and iOS integration, so I guess I'm well ahead of the game.
If this was a "once every five years" upgrade (ala Microsoft) of if they charged $79 or $129 I guess I'd feel a bit let down, but come on, $20 buys you two beers at the ball game.
This is just a $20 tweak...not a major upgrade.
It's a bargain .... IMHO

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
Features, yes
Features I'll ever use, no, features you can trust to be in future releases, hell no.

Sure there are features but I'll never use them. Without MS Live Mess support, messages is completely worthless to me. Notification center is more of an annoyance than a feature and had to turn it off. And even those I'm interested in like reminders I won't use because Apple will certainly abandon them for some newer feature like they did reminders/todo in Lion mail, spaces and other features I used every day. Like Launchpad, I just shake my head in a WTF moment.

I wish these so-called features were optional installs as I'd prefer to skip the bloat and save the space and resources.

Airplay mirroring is the ONLY thing in ML worth the upgrade. Hopefully they will keep it in 10.9.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

...I also like the mini preview of each incoming email.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to skeechan

MVM,

to skeechan
Reminders/ToDo used to rely on external servers (Exchange, etc). Now they're just separate apps and default to iCloud (you can still use Exchange, CalDAV, IMAP, etc).

What exactly did they abandon?

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
Well, I like the new facilities like powernap on my MBA, and being able to doubly backup both my MBA and iMac to two Time capsules on alternate backups. I like the cloud integration, making it a snap to get access to things I am working on easily from remote. My systems seem to be executing programs faster as well. Everything still just works, and a little better too.

I don't understand the problems with gestures, I have not observed any differences with ML, everything is the same in that department.

I don't use any social networking, nor do I use any "messages" / "notifications" facilities, so I can't speak to that. My multiple IMAP and POP email accounts work a charm as usual. Even my hand-installed Bind server ported over seamlessly.

For me, the added functionality added to Time Machine is worth the $20.00 on it's own; actually $10.00, since one of my upgrades was essentially free.

Bob

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

4 edits

1 recommendation

skeechan to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
Yeah, WLM really. We live in a Windows world. It isn't about what I want to use, it's about the protocol that important people in my circles are using whether I think it is any good or not. For SMS, people message my phone by cell num, not ID so the messages desktop will never see it. SMS on the desktop is completely worthless to me without receiving. If someone texts my phone, I'm going to reply with the phone and the conversation will continue on the phone.

Safari RSS gone. Appending URLs gone. Spaces gone (mission control sucks). Mail todo gone. Support for EFI32 gone. Not specific to ML but I used iDisk, I used iDVD, I used iWeb, I used the photo gallery...I used that crap and in the case of iWeb, iWeb with 3rd party templates worked great for me. Being at the top of Google for my desired search terms doesn't have me eager to move to Rapid or Dreamweaver. And yes, I can still use iDVD and iWeb but getting it reinstalled is a major pain in my ass because Apple can't be bothered to put them in the app store. So I am left asking myself, do I want to invest my time with any "new" Apple app that may not be around next year and as many times as I've been burned I say no way. If I have to use 3rd party ware I might as well start with 3rd party ware. I won't even mention OS X Server other than to mention OS X Server which these days is only a shadow of its former self.

Again, not specific to ML but was the old Spaces so broken that they needed to f*ck it all up with mission control? Spaces' application assignment was centralized, spaces were permanent and so easy to work with. Mission control blows goat. Change for change's sake isn't good.

Launchpad? Really?

And I'm not going to argue my point with people that will just defend whatever Apple does or entertain justifications for all of these changes. I don't care. Both are irrelevant.

This is about MY experience and my experience with OS X is getting worse with every release, not better. The OS has only gotten more convoluted, cluttered, bloated and unstable over the past few years. 10.4.7 was the last great Mac OS and my Mac Pro running 10.4.7 was the PERFECT post PPC machine. Since then everything has gone downhill as attention has been focused on non-Mac products. Unfortunately, unlike MS OSes, OS X versions are VERY short lived in terms of support so sticking with what was perfect is impossible.

Speaking of which there are the changes that broke other apps. I have lots of apps that, sure, are 5-6 years old but are completely broken while my 32-bit Windows 7 machines still run DOS apps I wrote in 1987. Apps aren't cheap and I don't want to upgrade everything every 2-3 years especially if it worked great up until the time Apple broke it. Blame apple, blame the 3rd party who didn't update it, I don't care...it still contributes to a declining experience with OS X while my Windows machines run everything, latest and greatest or ancient and dusty.

The reasons I switched to OS X are becoming more muted with every release. OS X is taking on the worst aspects of Windows. Apple needs to learn an important lesson, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I like mission control. As for launchpad... LOL

Really, it was just adding another way to open apps for the sake of adding it. It was the most useless addition of Lion.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
I'm liking ML, especially AirPlay mirroring, reminders and notifications. It was well worth it for me.

Never been a fan of Launchpad though but it can be easily ignored.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Metatron2008

Mod

to Metatron2008
I'm getting used to the new notification system.

I think it needs a few patches before actual judgment can be rendered.
Expand your moderator at work

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

Re: Mountain Lion kind of sucks...

Mission control still has some functionality but like many things is a step backward from Spaces+Expose' just as the new OS X Server is a step backward from the legacy OS X Server.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
I created a poll to assess user attitude »[Poll] Mountain Lion satisfaction

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

bjf123 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

said by skeechan:

I have lots of apps that, sure, are 5-6 years old but are completely broken while my 32-bit Windows 7 machines still run DOS apps I wrote in 1987.

FWIW, I think that's been one of the problems with Windows and why it's been so buggy all these years. They're trying to keep support for legacy programs that are 10-20 years old. Windows got better with XP and Win 7, but it's still way too bloated. Apple doesn't seem inclined to go down that same path. The trade-off for that is users will be forced to buy new hardware and software every 4-5 years as support is dropped for older items.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Mission Control and Spaces+Exposé are not that different. It's not a step backwards. Now you have Mission Control, Exposé and Spaces.
Count Zero

Count Zero to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
I actually find it more useful for uninstalling applications.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Anon

MVM,

to Anon
There were 8 posts before the "all you do is defend/hate Apple" argument was made. That must be some kind of record. Lately these threads degrade much more quickly than that around here.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
Does calling me goth make you feel the same way?

I don't wear makeup at all... Or cry at stupid crap... I'm a body builder...

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

1 recommendation

Count Zero to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Apple is mergering your AppleID with your phone number so iMessages will go to both no matter which they send the message to. As for SMS - just keep your phone nearby.

There are tons of good RSS readers out there, Safari's was just a very basic one.

I think your understanding or criticism of spaces/expose/mission control is unfounded.

OS X Server can still do everything it did under 10.6 except acting as a competent print server with quotas and logging. I liked Server Admin better than Server.app but if you know what you're doing then you can still do EVERYTHING with Server 10.8. They added FTP configuration back into Server.app.

What app made 2-3 years ago doesn't work on a modern mac? The only apps that I have had any trouble with are the old PPC ones that were made much longer than 2-3 years ago.

You just seem to be on an anti-Apple trolling rampage lately.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
Everything is the same, except it isn't the same.

Again, sure, there are 3rd party apps for everything which is my point. I'm being forced to 3rd party so often that I'm not going to be bothered starting with 1st party any more...I keep getting burned, features dropped or changed to the point the workflow is completely f-ed over.

MC doesn't work the same. Less functionality + more convoluted = step backward.

People can explain away or minimize repercussions of these changes but for me they make the experience worse, not better. OS X is getting worse, not better. OS X is becoming Windows. If I wanted Windows, I'd buy a sh!t box Pee Cee for 1/4 the price and toss it out every year and still be ahead.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

How does it have less functionality or more convoluted? Please give a specific example. Because I don't feel that it's any harder to use or any more convoluted.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to skeechan

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Spaces gone (mission control sucks). Mail todo gone.

Huh? I still use spaces and expose every day and they work pretty much the same as they always did.

And my Mail Todos were there, just transfered to the Todo app. I do use an IMAP server though.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero

Maybe I'm retarded but I don't see or can't find this functionality in MC
One of many examples...app assignments to spaces.

In Spaces there was 1 clear window where you can add and subtract and change all you want...all from one PP all at one time. In MC you have to open each app and dick with it (aka assign to), at least that I've found...maybe I'm retarded and missed a new pref pane where this centralized functionality was moved to. Without it, configuring my spaces is MANY more steps, FAR less organized, WAY more convoluted which to me is a HUGE step backward. Does it work...yeah, does it work as well as it used to, no way, not even close.

Another example, I like seeing ALL of my spaces clearly, not microscopic windows of spaces where you can't discern progress in those spaces without going to those spaces. Again, does it still work...yeah. Does it work as well as it used to? No...another step backward.
skeechan

skeechan to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
Again..."pretty much the same" isn't the same if what is no longer same is what you needed.

My point is NONE of these changes are improvements.

In most cases the changes negatively impact my productivity because it takes more steps to do something or I have to buy an app to replace lost functionality (like buying $50 1Password to replace killed off Keychain syncing).

Apple is "fixing" stuff that didn't need fixing and they're f-ing it up in the process.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Click for full size
It's a good solution
Those are pretty trivial problems. Now you can full screen each app and just flip through them with gestures on the trackpad or using hotkeys on the keyboard. Plus MC can rearrange your spaces based on how frequently you visit that space so you don't have to "go as far" to find the windows you're commonly using