Our house is kept at 69-70 year-round.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Everything arrived yesterday after being shipped Monday. Verified and zero'd the HDD per Koitsu's fantastic post here. The Rosewill case is certainly decent for $48, but the space behind the backplate is virtually non-existent for cable management--cables fit very tightly, pressed up against the side of the case. I'll try to post pictures later on. There are certainly no complaints on the tool-less 3.5" and 5.25" bays.

The Asrock UEFI is very pretty and allows for some very easy maintenance. I ensured the SATA controller was set to AHCI (it was by default) and loaded the XMP 1600 memory profile because, while my memory was DDR3-1600, it was set by default to 1333. I don't have the pleasure of having XMP support on my x58 mobo, so this was certainly a joy to use.

All in all, everything came in working order and set up easily. I didn't get an aftermarket CPU cooler, and while I haven't stress-tested the rig yet, the i5 is idling at 34-38 C with the stock cooler, which is high, IMO. We'll see what burn-in temps are, but it appears my Prolimatech Megahalems, which was designed for 1156/1366 socket will fit on 1155, so I may throw that + two Yate Loon fans on the CPU.

Nice man. Let's see some pics later.

I also have zero complaints on the tool-less drive bays. I read some reviews with people bitching and complaining about them. I just don't see the issue at all.

Regarding the XMP setting. I had to manually set mine to 1600 also. It was reading 1333 as default.

Our house temp runs at 75 all summer. Idle temps on my i5 so far have been right at 29-30c. I'm not running a stock cooler though, so that might be about right for yours.

Winter time we barely even run the heater, that's when the house is 64-65 degrees inside. Haha

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

All in all, everything came in working order and set up easily. I didn't get an aftermarket CPU cooler, and while I haven't stress-tested the rig yet, the i5 is idling at 34-38 C with the stock cooler, which is high, IMO. We'll see what burn-in temps are, but it appears my Prolimatech Megahalems, which was designed for 1156/1366 socket will fit on 1155, so I may throw that + two Yate Loon fans on the CPU.

Ran LINPACK for a long while and the CPU stayed in the low-to-mid 60s under 100% load. That's good enough for me. I may re-check them in 6 months or so to verify nothing has changed.

This build is a success! The kid is maxing out BF3 and Skyrim at 2048x1152.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.
Expand your moderator at work

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Gaming build for teenager

So an update to this build. One of the ram sticks were starting to go and causing BSODs, and I didn't like how hot the CPU ran under the stock cooler.

We splurged a bit and replaced the stock cooler with a Xigmatek Night Hawk II that sits on the high end of air coolers (and while looks don't affect functionality, it looks pretty sweet). I also replaced the aging 4x 2GB dimms that came out of my original x58 build 3.5 years ago with some G.Skill Ares 2x 4GB 1866 ram. OCing ram is so easy now--just a drop down menu to load the correct memory profile (all the way up to 2800).
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Krisnatharok
*Edit

I haven't had much issues with my Amd Fx 6100.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

So an update to this build. One of the ram sticks were starting to go and causing BSODs, and I didn't like how hot the CPU ran under the stock cooler.

We splurged a bit and replaced the stock cooler with a Xigmatek Night Hawk II that sits on the high end of air coolers (and while looks don't affect functionality, it looks pretty sweet). I also replaced the aging 4x 2GB dimms that came out of my original x58 build 3.5 years ago with some G.Skill Ares 2x 4GB 1866 ram. OCing ram is so easy now--just a drop down menu to load the correct memory profile (all the way up to 2800).

You spent $50+ on a painted black Hyper 212+? Talk about a waste of $30 :P

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
$20 for looks, ceramic coating on the aluminum heatsink, free case fan, and a heatsink that is compatible with high-profile memory. Not terrible.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok
$50 for a heatsink isn't bad.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
said by Ghastlyone:

I agree. 100%.

Eventually I'd like to go with a Corsair H100...but that's way down the line.
--
McBrain#1558 - DSLR resident face melter.

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Agreed! Most of the advice we give here is under the impression of a firm budget (usually below $1k), or from a "most bang for your buck" angle.

When I build for ME, I tend to pick slightly more expensive components that either look nicer aesthetically, or have a cost premium associated with "performance" hardware. There's no reason to recommend a Corsair AX750 ($170 PSU) and Corsair H100 ($120 closed loop water CPU cooler) to a budget-conscious builder. I happen to have both and am extremely happy with both purchases.

Hell, when I built my x58 rig in early 2009, I spent $270 on a motherboard. But keep in mind this was a $1500 rig, not a $600-1000 one. And I sure as hell won't give up the solid OCing, debug LED my EVGA motherboard came with, nor the customer service of the brand.
--

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to Krisnatharok
Although Kris already knows how I feel about SSD's --- I don't think they belong in a budget gaming build.

The rub here is either to get a 120 GB SSD, or a terabyte in a traditional hard drive.

I totally love SSD's and the general performance increases they give you, but if you're limited in your ability to spend, getting a regular hard drive won't affect your gaming framerates in any way.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Agreed, and that's why my stepson didn't get an SSD in his initial build. I told him he's free to purchase one later, and with 120 GB models as low as $60, that will be doable for him.

For me, I'll probably grab a 256 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD in my next build.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Agreed! Most of the advice we give here is under the impression of a firm budget (usually below $1k), or from a "most bang for your buck" angle.

When I build for ME, I tend to pick slightly more expensive component

Ya same here

When I build for ME its only every 3 or so years and my current system cost me over 2k plus some upgrades after the initial build (so more like 3+K)

But I can't recommend someone go all out if they will never make use of any of the power.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Krisnatharok
Kris,

Give me some advice on eyefinity monitors...I know you have some knowledge here. Let me have it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by McBrain:

Kris,

Give me some advice on eyefinity monitors...I know you have some knowledge here. Let me have it.

I think Nvidia just supported more than 2 monitors with the new 600 cards for the first time.

I opted to stick with my single GTX 580 and buy a very beautiful 27" Auria 2560x1440 LED IPS monitor. I power a secondary 1680x1050 Apple Cinema display via a USB Radeon external GPU.

I might go dual 580s here very shortly so I can max out all eyecandy at 1440p.

If you go Eyefinity, turn them sideways and get as big as you can afford. You'll probably need dual GPUs to adequately power them.
--

Konceptz
Intel

join:2001-12-22
Chesterfield, VA
reply to Krisnatharok
If your going Intel..anything less then an i5 is a joke....

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by Konceptz:

I'd love to see the logic behind that, and how that's even relevant to the thread at hand.
--

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Konceptz
said by Konceptz:

First off, i3 chips are very good but their main goal is based on lowering power consumption. It's meant for low power, light and mobile devices. So for what an i3's main goal is, they did very well. It just depends on your needs. If you're a gamer or hardcore videophile, then yes, an i3 might not be tailored or best for your needs. But saying "anything less than an i5 is a joke", just makes you look ignorant.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok
@Kris -

Here are some quick benchmarks I've found between an AMD 4170 vs. Intel SB 2500. Things seem to be increasingly in Intel favor on this one.

»www.cpu-world.com/Compare/357/AM···500.html

»www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam···06.html?

Of course, you're looking at about a $60-75 price differential between the two CPU's. When you look at it based on price, *to me*, it's probably not exactly worth $75 for the performance differences between the two. You might be best spending that extra money beefing up some other component in the system. Hope I don't sound redundant as I'm sure you already know all of this.

EDIT: Sorry, I read further... and you are way past this.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Yeah, someone necro'd the thread to air a completely unsubstantiated claim about Intel CPUs. Still waiting on Konceptz See Profile to report back with references.
--