DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to twizlar

Re: SOS: sendmail disk space

Yup. At least this is *supposed* to have root permissions.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by DC DSL:

Yup. At least this is *supposed* to have root permissions.

Isn't it a bad practice to allow a login for a user with root permission? I thought it was a best practice to login as a non-privileged user and then switch to a privileged user using su, or execute a command with sudo.

You might try reasking the question over in the Unix forum to get some more specific help.

If all else fails, can you clean up files elsewhere (e.g. /tmp) to free up some room without having to touch the log files?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
The tmp folders are all empty. The maillog family is what's eating up the space.

I have absolutely no input or control over the Linux side of this puppy...they have a propellerhead who rules that domain and he does whatever he does. The guy's a pain in the backside...bitched me out a few months ago when I said we would need more disk space or more frequent purging of the logs since the broadcast volume is now triple our estimates when launched 4 years ago. "Sendmail logging is nowhere as inefficient as Exchange so your argument is invalid." The sob's propeller is going to be spinning backward for a while after he gets back.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."