Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

Jeep Grand Cherokee almost rolls over during maneuver tests

Also pops 7 tires on 3 different test vehicles at ~40mph.
»www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest-part4/

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
A Møøse once bit my sister.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Gbcue
Click for full size
Ha, ha... Guy in the passenger seat wearing a bicycle helmet.

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Bob4:

Ha, ha... Guy in the passenger seat wearing a bicycle helmet.

You'd think how safe modern cars are, you wouldn't even wear a helmet. I'm surprised the driver isn't wearing one...

gillespie
Premium
join:2001-11-28
USA
reply to No_Strings
Well if your sister di.......never mind.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to Gbcue
Wow, those things really blow!

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Gbcue
Why do these people think they can ignore science. Tall, narrow vehicle, driven to extremes, and it flips! Who would have ever though? If you're concerned, buy a Civic.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Lurch77:

Why do these people think they can ignore science. Tall, narrow vehicle, driven to extremes, and it flips! Who would have ever though? If you're concerned, buy a Civic.

+1

There were some maneuvers I've done without fear in my Ford Maverick, LTD, or Cutlass Supreme, but would never even attempt in my Bronco. And on the other hand, there are other things that I can do in my Bronco that would never even think to try in the other cars.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to Gbcue
The test was rigged. The rumor is that they had overloaded teh vehicle and maybe played with the adjustable suspension.

Once the Chrysler engineers showed up at the scene, the magazine could not duplicate the results. I hear they tried over and over agin to duplicate this result. This same model vehicle recently passed the German "moose test".

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
Seems I remember this story. The last time the author was Consumer Reports and the character was a Samurai.

»www.allpar.com/news/index.php/20···st-faked

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

The test was rigged. The rumor is that they had overloaded teh vehicle and maybe played with the adjustable suspension.

Once the Chrysler engineers showed up at the scene, the magazine could not duplicate the results. I hear they tried over and over agin to duplicate this result.

They popped 7 tires instead. Still safe?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Gbcue
Not seeing the tires blow I don't know if and how it happened!
I own a 2005 jeep liberty and I would say it is not the safest car around but not the worst either!
What year where these test done?
How many times in your lifetime will you have to do a maneuver like that video shows?

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
Click the link in my post above. It was rigged to fail.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

They popped 7 tires instead. Still safe?

Not knowing what the tires or the pressures were, it's not possible to say anything without some additional background information. Given a rigged test, I wouldn't be surprised if the tires weren't 100% to begin with.

One thing I can say that over 25 years and probably well over 500k miles I had 3 sudden blowouts and one tire that partly separated from the rim. Of the blowouts, one tire was deformed and had some visible theread separation, but I was too cheap to replace it (was a poor student at that time) the other was a well worn tire that picked up a nail, and a third one was unexplained. The partial separation was caused by a very high speed (smoking) turn and the tire was most likely underinflated to begin with.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

A Møøse once bit my sister.

Llama, Llama, Llama
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to aurgathor
Since the Jeep-Chrysler engineers were right there, I'm sure the tires were properly inflated.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
I would think the 100% comment on the tires from aurgathor is not only possible inflation issues but with wear and tear on the tires. the Chrysler engineers were only there to try and confirm the results - which they could not do according to the link by Lurch77.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

Seems I remember this story. The last time the author was Consumer Reports and the character was a Samurai.

Someone at allpar.com needs to fact check before publishing then as it was Suzuki but the article said Isuzu in grave error.

quote:
The situation seemed similar to the Consumer Reports affair with Isuzu, where a vehicle that had passed the magazines tests was retested to bring failure, with different testing equipment than competitors (outriggers which Isuzu charged were partly responsible for the results).
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI

2 edits
Yeah, I read that, and had the same thought as you. It was not Isuzu.

Like the test this article is about, it was pretty clear it was rigged. Consumer reports had to try over two dozen time to make it get up on two wheels. There used to be a video, now removed from the internet, where you could hear the Consumer reports people egging the driver one, shouting things like, "Come on! Flip it!". And when it finally did go onto two wheel, everyone started cheering.

cahiatt
Premium
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA
reply to Gbcue
That thing does look a little wild coming through that test. But I'm sure there are a lot of factors involved. I was searching for it but can't find it. I recall just a few years ago a journalist flipping over a brand new BMW 3 series doing a similar lane change maneuver. Not a car I would expect to go topside doing that. But it can happen.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Owning a 3 series - I can't imagine it not needing a good bit of help to do that...

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
reply to Gbcue
In nearly all vehicles, if you try to turn really fast circles (doughnuts) to try to rollover a vehicle, the tires nearly always break free of the pavement before enough side force can be produced. But when a vehicle is already traveling at speed, and a sudden and extreme side turn is made, the tire traction can exist long enough to cause a rollover. This is related to the fact that there are two different frictional coefficients between the tires and the roadway. A STATIC coefficient of friction is usually slightly higher than the DYNAMIC coefficient of friction. As long as traction is maintained, then the higher STATIC value applies, but as soon as the tires start sliding, the lower DYNAMIC value applies.

»mb-soft.com/public/rollover.html

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
united state
reply to Gbcue
My friend just flipped her civic ironically....

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
How did she do that????

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
united state
reply to Gbcue
Umm I believe she hit a turn going like 50 and then lost control into a ditch

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Ahhh - the ditch rolled the car... she was not hurt I take it?

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
united state
reply to Gbcue
Few scratches and bruises. Nothing bad, car got it worse.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
reply to Gbcue
Keep using those seatbelts no matter what you drive, please!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to Gbcue
too bad it did not say the year

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
Looking at the video, it is the current generation.