spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

VHurley

@bhn.net

[Internet] Brighthouse Ubee (DVW3201B) Dual Band Connection Prob

After a reset and a couple calls to Road Runner tech support my wireless seems to have the same signal strength as before, and speed at the Brighthouse bandwidth speed test site, but I'm having problems when streaming video online and my wireless network connections speed is showing me at a drastically lower Mbps. Also when I run inSSIDer it doesn't show any network on the 5 GHz band. What can I do to get it back to where it was? Thank you.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:138

Re: [Internet] Brighthouse Ubee (DVW3201B) Dual Band Connection

So you are streaming wirelessly? To what kind of device?

VHurley

@bhn.net

I'm on a pc using a Belking N750 adapter. I have also tried to uninstall and reinstall the adapter with the same results. Everything was working fine up until Sunday (I think). That's when it seems to have gone south after a reset. Was there an update or did something change? When I reset the modem shouldn't everything get back to normal?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to VHurley

So you are on a wireless connection.... please do me a favor and try hard wired and see how things go. We'll take it from there.

VHurley

@bhn.net
reply to VHurley

I'm on a pc using a Belking N750 adapter. I have also tried to uninstall and reinstall the adapter with the same results. Everything was working fine up until Sunday (I think). That's when it seems to have gone south after a reset. Was there an update or did something change? When I reset the modem shouldn't everything get back to normal?

VHurley

@bhn.net
reply to BHNtechXpert

I did try the speed test on the hardwired connection and it was great, up to 40mbps. The speed test on my wireless connection is great also, consistantly at around 30. But when I check my wireless network connection status it reads lower than it was before considerably. Wouldn't even be an issue if I wasn't trying to stream video and having issues. And I'm thinking I lost the 5 GHz dual channel because it doesn't show up at all when I run inSSIDer. I do see my network on the 2.4 GHz. Regular internet is fine until I try to stream HD video. Thanks!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to VHurley

So are we good now or do you still need some help?

VHurley

@bhn.net

I still have no 5 GHz channel, but I guess only a tech can fix that by coming out? Did you think that a firmware update or something like that changes everything? Thanks for your help.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to VHurley

It isn't normally enabled. This is the deal...these are not simultaneous...you either have 2.4 or 5ghz but not both. If you want both then you will need to bridge the modem and use your own high quality router.

VHurley

@bhn.net

Ok, thanks. Well, for the past few months since we've had lightning it's been considerably better, and my adapter would always tell me that it's max speed would be over 200mbps even though of course the Brighthouse speed test maxed out at under 30. Now it's less, with the speed test the same. I would think then it doesn't matter but the high def streaming was greatly affected. What first led me to post the question was all the people on the general forum who seemed to be asking similar questions with similar issues, and all around the same timeframe. If it was a firmware update I hope they fix it with a better one soon, or just figure it out in general. Thanks for your time, though. Vince

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to VHurley

Vince...

If you are doing any streaming at all or gaming for that matter...those devices should always be wired. Wireless should only be used where no other alternatives exist. I realize that product marketing folks for these devices want you to think otherwise but they aren't the ones providing the connectivity to the internet and they know the consumer will naturally blame their provider for the issue so in short they really don't care. The fact of the matter is WE do care and want you to have the best experience possible. The only way we can ensure this happens is for you to utilize the best technology for the application which in this case is using wired connections.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

VHurley

@bhn.net

I absolutely agree... and always prefer a wired connection. When I get my new place (soon) I will definitely be getting the lightning service and have my main machine on a wired connection. It was just weird how on this machine it was one way, then after a sudden reset on Sunday it was another. But I realize there are always other factors involved. You guys at Brighthouse have been very helpful with every issue we might have had, so thanks!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by VHurley :

I absolutely agree... and always prefer a wired connection. When I get my new place (soon) I will definitely be getting the lightning service and have my main machine on a wired connection. It was just weird how on this machine it was one way, then after a sudden reset on Sunday it was another. But I realize there are always other factors involved. You guys at Brighthouse have been very helpful with every issue we might have had, so thanks!

You'r very welcome...let me know if I can help.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to VHurley

said by VHurley :

I still have no 5 GHz channel, but I guess only a tech can fix that by coming out? Did you think that a firmware update or something like that changes everything? Thanks for your help.

5ghz has a shorter range compared to 2.4ghz so that could be the issue
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.