spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bell113

@bell.ca

[Internet] My wifi of my bell router/modem doesnt work

I have a 2wire 2701HG-G modem/router and since 2 days ago it worked fine but yesterday it stopped working the internet works fine when it is connected ethernet but the wifi doesn't work. when i connect it to wifi from my mac i just see and "!" and this is the same with my other devices. i tried to do a troubleshoot but that wasn't possible. Please help me fix this problem. i don't know if I'm supposed to give you my b1 number or any other confidential but let me know.

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
register for a free account and post in the direct forum.

or Call Bell directly.

your paying for the modem, so they should replace it free of charge.

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal
reply to bell113
Did you tried a powercycle of the router?
--
Rogers - iPhone 4s 32gb

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to bell113
As posted previously...... pull the powercord of the modem and let it reboot. if that doesn't fix it, post in the direct forum

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to bell113
Possible but not very likely that would happen. Was there a recent power failure?

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
reply to bell113
Upon reflection I suppose it's also possible the OP had a custom password set in the 2wire modem for the wireless network and the reset button has been pressed, or the custom password has somehow been wiped out some other way.

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
reply to bell113
The wireless part of the 2Wire may have died or the wireless password may have been set to default (no password) or the wireless password has been changed.

The easiest way is to test the 2Wire is to reset the 2Wire.

Resetting the 2Wire will set the 2Wire to factory defaults. All settings and passwords will be erased.

Please read ALL of the following instructions before you start.

Before you reset the 2Wire you will need the following:
1. The Bell B1xxxxxx and the password.
2. An SSID for the 2Wire if you don't use the Bell default such as Bell437. I recommend that you create something unique such as: Found On Road Dead; My lawn is Brown; Summer is too hot, etc.
3. A wireless password (This is yours - create a password of at least 8 characters and use characters such as; &,%,! @ And #, and caps; A, J, X and a, j, x and numbers; 1, 8, 2 etc.

To reset the 2Wire:

1. Unplug the 2Wire and Turn all computers off.
2. Disconnect all cables from the 2Wire.
3. Restart the 2Wire and wait 2 - 3 minutes for the 2Wire to restart
4. With the power connected to the 2Wire; hold the reset button on the 2Wire for at least 10 seconds and then release and wait 2 - 3 minutes.
5. After the 2Wire has restarted, connect an Ethernet from a wired to the 2Wire and start that wired computer and wait for that computer to boot up.
6. Log into the 2Wire at 192.168.2.1 and follow the on screen instructions. This step could take up to 10 minutes.
7. When the 2Wire login has completed; you should have Internet access from the wired computer.
8. Log back into the 2Wire and select wireless.
9. Create your SSID.
10. Set security to WPA2 with AES encryption.
11. Create your wireless password.
12. Good luck.

Post back with any issues and someone here will help.

Notes:
1. WPA2 with AES encryption is the best wireless security.
2. You may need to select an older/less secure version; WPA/TKIP.
3. If your wireless devices will only connect with WEP and a password; post back here.

Rick

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
said by RickStep:

The wireless part of the 2Wire may have died or the wireless password may have been set to default (no password) or the wireless password has been changed.

The easiest way is to test the 2Wire is to reset the 2Wire.

Resetting the 2Wire will set the 2Wire to factory defaults. All settings and passwords will be erased.

Please read ALL of the following instructions before you start.

Before you reset the 2Wire you will need the following:
1. The Bell B1xxxxxx and the password.
2. An SSID for the 2Wire if you don't use the Bell default such as Bell437. I recommend that you create something unique such as: Found On Road Dead; My lawn is Brown; Summer is too hot, etc.
3. A wireless password (This is yours - create a password of at least 8 characters and use characters such as; &,%,! @ And #, and caps; A, J, X and a, j, x and numbers; 1, 8, 2 etc.

To reset the 2Wire:

1. Unplug the 2Wire and Turn all computers off.
2. Disconnect all cables from the 2Wire.
3. Restart the 2Wire and wait 2 - 3 minutes for the 2Wire to restart
4. With the power connected to the 2Wire; hold the reset button on the 2Wire for at least 10 seconds and then release and wait 2 - 3 minutes.
5. After the 2Wire has restarted, connect an Ethernet from a wired to the 2Wire and start that wired computer and wait for that computer to boot up.
6. Log into the 2Wire at 192.168.2.1 and follow the on screen instructions. This step could take up to 10 minutes.
7. When the 2Wire login has completed; you should have Internet access from the wired computer.
8. Log back into the 2Wire and select wireless.
9. Create your SSID.
10. Set security to WPA2 with AES encryption.
11. Create your wireless password.
12. Good luck.

Post back with any issues and someone here will help.

Notes:
1. WPA2 with AES encryption is the best wireless security.
2. You may need to select an older/less secure version; WPA/TKIP.
3. If your wireless devices will only connect with WEP and a password; post back here.

Rick

Default is not "no password"... it's WEP, about 26 numbers/letters long.

And you also don't need to unplug anything or power off the modem in order to reset to factory default... that's some unnecessary steps.

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
said by kovy7:

said by RickStep:

The easiest way . . .

Rick

Default is not "no password"... it's WEP, about 26 numbers/letters long.

And you also don't need to unplug anything or power off the modem in order to reset to factory default... that's some unnecessary steps.

kovy is correct since the Bell forced firmware update to version 6.xxx.xxx firmware from version 5.xxx. x . . .

With reference to how devices should be reset, kovy is correct again; however there are many devices that on reset do not clear the NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory) that retains memory (system settings) when the power is turned off. When these devices are reset; the device will retain all of the information even if a portion is incorrect instead of re-writing the NVRAM, causing errors.

If nothing is connected to the 2Wire on reset it will clear the NVRAM (set to no information).

I do not have the patience; nor the memory any more; to keep track of the programming idiots, from company to company, that don't always clear the NVRAM and I always suggest the longer route.

This is a 5 - 10 minute procedure in any case.

Rick