Search similar:

uniqs

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

I just got word that Mediacom will be charging for excessive bandwidth? I wasn't told specifics but to keep an eye out. Please tell me this isn't true and just a rumor!
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

DoctorX

said by RyanThaDude:

I just got word that Mediacom will be charging for excessive bandwidth? I wasn't told specifics but to keep an eye out. Please tell me this isn't true and just a rumor!

source? Mediacom Chad?

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

The tech I spoke with today.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
Subject was discussed back in June.
»[RANT] 250 GB , really?
Clever Name
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Davenport, IA

2 edits

Clever Name to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
»www.slyck.com/Video_News ··· ps_Guide
»www.slyck.com/ng

I'm shocked it took so long. Bandwidth is cheaper than ever after all. They'll have to get an accurate bandwidth metering system set up I would assume. One the customer can view I mean. That should take them quite a while.

Techs have told me things in the past that never happened also. This is inevitable though I'm sure. Comcast got away with it, so they'll all do it. Get those dirty bandwidth hogs off the line so grandma can check her email and Kristi can update her facebook at blazing speeds.

If I had a company with little to no competition I'd charge as much as I could for as little product as possible too.Why upgrade the system when I can just cap everyone. Oh and after we set some monthly limit lets raise the available speeds just to salt the wound.

»www.slyck.com/ng

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

Forgot to mention this in the original post: Another thing that the tech told me is that they will probably remove the extra modem charge for phone users. He said too many people were complaining and were dropping phone service. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out!

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
Yup new 'allowances' are starting 08/01/2012 (check out the cool new names)

Mediacom Launch 150GB (3 Mbit)
Mediacom Prime 250GB (12 Mbit/15 Mbit)
Mediacom Prime Plus 350GB (20 Mbit)
Mediacom Ultra 999GB (50 Mbit)
Mediacom Ultra Plus 999GB (105 Mbit)

If you go over you get charged $10 for the next 50 GB and so on...

www.mediacomtoday.com/usage will be the new site for the meter but it's not ready.

I guess you can wait for MediacomChad to sugarcoat this turd but hey it's his job.

BTW only applies to new customers or if you make changes to your existing service so make sure you don't make any changes and keep your torrents on 24/7
Clever Name
Premium Member
Davenport, IA

Clever Name

Premium Member

Thanks for the update.
said by Anonymous88:

I guess you can wait for MediacomChad to sugarcoat this turd but hey it's his job.

LOL
said by Anonymous88:

BTW only applies to new customers or if you make changes to your existing service so make sure you don't make any changes and keep your torrents on 24/7

LOL. I guess I'll be stuck at 50mbits for the foreseeable future. Hopefully the lawyers made them add that "applies to new users only" part so they stick to it. Now to download a few terabytes out of spite.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to Anonymous88

Premium Member

to Anonymous88
Are you serious??

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

No jokes here. I'm sure this is done to improve your internet experience.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

I'll be frank, while I hate caps in general, I'd always rather have a clearly-stated cap rather than the arbitrary "It might be 250 gigs, if we decide to let you know" stuff that we've currently been living under. $10 for 50 gigs is also way more generous than what cell providers are trying to gouge customers for. And I'd rather have an option to go over than be paranoid that I'm going to possibly get kicked off my ISP for repeatedly going over.

The best analogy I can think of is a curfew, as a teenager. Would you rather your parents gave you a time that you always had to be home by, or would they rather they just sort of made it arbitrary and never clearly spelled it out for you, or, if they did have a set time and only randomly punished you for breaking it depending on the circumstances? I'd rather be given a set time and then deal with it than be yanked around.
jpatton
join:2010-04-07
Madison, WI

jpatton to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

I'm sure this is done to improve your internet experience.

Reminds me of this commercial

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Effective August 1st, new Mediacom Internet customers, and existing customers who choose to move to one of Mediacom’s new service plans, will have monthly usage allowances that vary depending on the level of service they choose. Monthly allowances range from 150 GB per month for our Mediacom Launch service to 999 GB per month for our Mediacom Ultra and Ultra Plus plans. If needed, additional bandwidth can be purchased for any service plan in 50GB blocks at $10 per block.

Our average Internet subscriber currently uses only 31 GB of data per month, so we don’t expect these allowances to have much impact on our customer base.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

When will the Mediacom Meter go live?
Time to put a bandwidth meter on the ole router and do some comparison
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Our average Internet subscriber currently uses only 31 GB of data per month, so we don’t expect these allowances to have much impact on our customer base.

Where can I view my usage?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

We have released a meter for internal use, the public facing usage meter should be released soon.
bluedyedvd
join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

bluedyedvd to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Effective August 1st, new Mediacom Internet customers, and existing customers who choose to move to one of Mediacom’s new service plans, will have monthly usage allowances that vary depending on the level of service they choose. Monthly allowances range from 150 GB per month for our Mediacom Launch service to 999 GB per month for our Mediacom Ultra and Ultra Plus plans. If needed, additional bandwidth can be purchased for any service plan in 50GB blocks at $10 per block.

if so few customers will be effected why do it? this just money grab plain and simple. $ 10.00 for 50 gb how much does mediacom pay for the same 50 gb a penny if that
Clever Name
Premium Member
Davenport, IA

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
I would recommend using your own bandwidth meter in conjunction with whatever mediacom eventually releases.

Dumeter works well for me but there are a lot of free alternatives.
»alternativeto.net/softwa ··· dumeter/

Will existing "excessive" users still be scolded Chad?

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
will mediacom let people out of contracts early with no ETF over this only seems fair

also yes fuck if where paying for overages till there is a meter thats approved by MO Weights and Measures

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to bluedyedvd

Premium Member

to bluedyedvd
We’ve implemented the usage allowances to ensure we can deliver on our promise of Always Faster Internet. In reality, only 2% of our users exceed our usage allowances. This 2% can use over 19 times what the average household would use, and this can dramatically impact the service you experience in your home. It could cause us to raise our rates for everyone, just to accommodate the excessive use of a few.
Clever Name
Premium Member
Davenport, IA

2 edits

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
Usenet education for all. Watch your supposed average use go up dramatically.

»www.slyck.com/ng

elios
Springfield, MO

elios to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
the one thing i hate about this is the meters are not monitored by states dept of Weights and Measures
if your going it meter the meter should be inspected yearly
time to ad block EVERY THING
also do the meters know to filter ARP traffic?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

1 edit

MediacomChad to elios

Premium Member

to elios
This will only take effect for new customers or customer who make account changes after August 1st. If you already were in a contract the data allowances do not apply to you. As this will not affect customers making a change before Aug 1, there will be no need for an ETF to be waived for this.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

at lest thats not to bad

the cap on Ultra seems fair but the 20mbit seems low compared any way

also if we renew our contract do we keep our grandfathered rates? ie no overage fees?

halsneb
Premium Member
join:2005-10-14
Osage, IA

halsneb to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
So, if your "excessive users" are the ones who are causing a problem by using 19 times the average of 31gb per month, which by the way comes out to 589gb per month, why not just force those user to move to a package instead of punishing all users? So glad I jumped ship.

Also your always faster claim is not accurate you are not always the fastest player in town, in fact you can't even really compete in an area that has any real competition.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
If 2% of the total users or 1 out of every 50 users can impact Mediacom's network in significant ways, there is a serious problem and it is not the customers. Not too mention that caps do not limit their consumption in any way, rather it only charges them more for it.

Mediacom isn't the fastest in this area. It is a shame they can't provide real competition.

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
Well, so much for getting Ultra when it's available. What a load of crap. I thought MC was a good company.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
If it's only effective for people who make changes to their account, how is it supposedly protecting the network if the excessive users never call in and change anything? They can still "degrade the network".

And also, if they're "degrading the network", why even allow them the chance to buy more bandwidth to "degrade the network"?

Bullshit Mediacom, you just want more money. It's a double tax on people who are actually using their internet connections, because they're already paying more for the faster speeds. Let's face it, nobody's getting to a terabyte on the Lite tiers.

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
It's a money grabbing scheme. Plain and simple. Don't believe anything customer service says about degrading service. It's bunch of lies.

Wow this really pisses me off. I'm not going to upgrade my account to 50/5 when it's available.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

To be fair, a 999GB cap on the 50 and 105 tiers is pretty damn generous, although a bit odd. I wouldn't see a number like that as a real obstacle to getting that service, especially since nobody's going to be offering anything comparable to you.

Is it a load of crap? Yes. But it's far better than some I've seen.