spc
Search similar:

uniqs
macdude22
join:2005-09-08
IA

macdude22 to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

Usage data for account *** not available

Sweet?

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
The usage meter *seems* accurate for me. Says 29 gigs, NetWorx is saying 13 gigs but I've only been monitoring since 7/26 and I know I had several substantial downloads plus other device usage that would have tallied into that before that date. I won't know for sure until the monitor synchs up with the monitor I run on my PC though in about a week.

Obviously though monitor accuracy is still a big concern, especially for people whose monitors are way off. And anyone savvy enough to be monitoring generally has a good idea of what their usage is or should be, so I don't doubt their reports of the monitor not being accurate. It's a new system, and things are bound to be screwed up some place. Let's hope they get worked out before people start getting charged for them. That right there is a great case for why the monitors should have been introduced to people several months before overage charges would start coming down the wire, so that people would have time to get used to them and disputing them without having to worry about paying more if they weren't accurate.

mcnewbie
@winegard.com

mcnewbie to RyanThaDude

Anon

to RyanThaDude
I apologize if these questions have been asked already, but just curious:

If you go over, will it automatically apply a full 50GB at $10?

Say you use 20GB of that 50GB, do you just lose the remaining 30 at the next billing cycle or is it something that will rollover and accumulate?

Chad, do you care to comment on what the CSR told me yesterday that the cap for the 12/15 plan is actually between 250-300GB and not exactly at 250GB? This could be very good information to know.
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

DoctorX to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
The truth about bandwidth caps. I would love Mediacom to answer this:

»twit.tv/show/twit-live-s ··· ials/133
macdude22
IA

macdude22 to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
Usage meter is showing 542.6 GB of 250 GB used, which seems plausible. We have multiple TVs we watch Netflix on, plus multiple gaming consoles, gaming computers,(steam sales my best and worst friend), etc...

Mediacom Online Ultra 50
50Mbps Download / 5Mbps Upload
250 GB monthly usage allowance

Granted, I should be in the "old" unlimited plan for now, but will this be updated to show the correct usage allowance?
Clever Name
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Davenport, IA

Clever Name to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
The beauty of a government sanctioned monopoly. Do whatever you want. How many of you have cancelled your service? Yeah.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by Clever Name:

The beauty of a government sanctioned monopoly. Do whatever you want. How many of you have cancelled your service? Yeah.

Alright. I'll bite. Just to whom am I supposed to switch, Mr. Clever? Would that be the DSL provider who won't give me more than 1.5mbit speed (if I'm lucky), which also has caps listed in their TOS that are equal to or probably lower than what I'm getting now since I can't get a decent speed package? Would that be some shabby speed satellite internet company with...caps? Should I try tethering to an overpriced cell phone plan with...caps (which probably prohibits tethering anyway)? Unfortunately, I don't live in the Kansas City area, or I'd do my best to get Google Fiber to show up in my neighborhood.

This is like telling people to switch electric companies or water companies. You can't, because there aren't any others to switch to, or, in the situation where there are other alternatives, they often aren't much better.

So you propose I just cancel my service and live without internet? That seems like cutting off my nose to spite my face. I need service - it's my connection to the outside world for entertainment, work, socialization, and contact with my daughter's school, among all the other everyday things people use the internet for. The best I can do is give the company my two cents worth about their policies, which if you've known me around here you'll know I've not been shy about in the past and try to ride it out.

I'm attempting to look on the bright side with this change because it could be so much worse than it is. Do I like it - no. But if I want internet service, I don't really have another option at the moment.
Clever Name
Premium Member
Davenport, IA

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
What part of monopoly don't you understand? No shit, you're not going anywhere.

That's about the only thing that would get their attention. Mass cancellation, which isn't going to happen.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

I think the sarcasm of your last post completely escaped me. There are people in other areas of the country who are luckier, and who have more choices for these things. I envy them. I seriously do.

mike1965
Geek4rent
join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL

mike1965

Might be a good suggestion to put the meter where you log in to for your account......I have never had a mediacom e-mail address...and have no need for one

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

I agree, I just sent Chad a note about that

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to mike1965

Premium Member

to mike1965
I'm actually glad that I didn't have to log into my account to see it, because I don't have that set up. But really, that would make sense. I think the one benefit I can see to not requiring that is that with multiple people in one house, you maybe wouldn't want everyone knowing the password and being logged into the actual account page. I wouldn't care, for instance, if my daughter was logged into my MCHSI e-mail because I don't use it. But I wouldn't want her logged into the real account area.

IowaMan
Premium Member
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

Guess its now time to update the AUP??
»mediacomtoday.com/aup

"Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other Limitations
You must comply with the bandwidth usage, data storage and other limitations on the Service that are in effect from to time. Mediacom has established a monthly data consumption threshold of 250Gigabytes (GB). If your usage exceeds these limitations, Mediacom may at its sole discretion , charge you for the excess usage, reduce transmission speed or other Service parameters, limit, suspend or terminate the Service or take other actions."....

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
Guys everyone not getting internet after 08/01/12 or making changes to their current internet service after said date will have a 250 GB cap but this cap will not be enforced. No additional fees, no throttling etc.

So you can actually use your connection 24/7 and feel really good about it. Post some screen-shots too.

In Des Moines area utilization is under 50% so there are no issues with bandwidth. This is simply a money grab and nothing else.

PS Give MediacomChad a break! He got his instructions (just like I did) on how to bullshit people about this. Not his choice. Hang in there Chad!

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1 to danawhitaker

to danawhitaker
danawhitaker a bit off topic, in IL you can pick a different electric provider.

On topic, Frontier will offers me bonded dsl of 17/1 with a plan for 25/1 for less than the 12/1 Mediacom offers. Supposedly its without a cap, but we know how that goes.
Clever Name
Premium Member
Davenport, IA

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
Something else to consider when you're on the meter. I'm using almost 1mbit/sec up to download at 50mbit/sec. Both counting towards the total.

I appreciate the info Anon. I've never gotten a call from mediacom about data consumption, hopefully I never will.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970 to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
I'm not changing my plan! I like the idea of no enforced cap or overages
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

said by Boss302_1970:

I'm not changing my plan! I like the idea of no enforced cap or overages

I do too...but the grandfathering could be removed at any time and I expect it to at some point.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970

lets hope not!

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
You never know. I had a friend who was grandfathered for years on Bell in Canada, and he still would be if he hadn't switched ISPs.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
If the old cap is set at 250GB, there is nothing stopping them from enforcing that cap down the road. A verbal promise is meaningless if the AUP/ToS say they can.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by silbaco:

A verbal promise is meaningless if the AUP/ToS say they can.

Definitely. If it's not written on paper, signed, and/or has a seal, it's worthless.
SimbaSeven

SimbaSeven to Clever Name

to Clever Name
said by Clever Name:

I'm using almost 1mbit/sec up to download at 50mbit/sec. Both counting towards the total.

That's why I found it funny when providers were offering 105/1 awhile ago. It's physically not possible unless you only do UDP. If you do any TCP-related stuff (about anything on the internet), it'll cut down your speeds or start having issues.
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

Guys everyone not getting internet after 08/01/12 or making changes to their current internet service after said date will have a 250 GB cap but this cap will not be enforced. No additional fees, no throttling etc.

So you can actually use your connection 24/7 and feel really good about it. Post some screen-shots too.

In Des Moines area utilization is under 50% so there are no issues with bandwidth. This is simply a money grab and nothing else.

PS Give MediacomChad a break! He got his instructions (just like I did) on how to bullshit people about this. Not his choice. Hang in there Chad!

Screenshots of what?

I downloaded around 20GB in the last 24 hours... At least now I have no need to worry about caps for a while.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Of your excessive usage . Who can download more?
macdude22
IA

1 recommendation

macdude22

There's no piracy going on here either. That middle month I reformatted my primary gaming PC and re-downloaded a lot of games from steam. Games, Netflix, VPN, Remote Desktop, etc.....500-600GB seems to be my average.
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

Of your excessive usage :D. Who can download more?

I'll setup a cronjob to run this every 6 minutes :P

curl -o 1.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin &
curl -o 2.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin &
curl -o 3.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin &
curl -o 4.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin &
curl -o 5.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin &
curl -o 6.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin &
curl -o 7.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin &
curl -o 8.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin &
curl -o 9.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin &
curl -o 10.bin -O »cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.bin
rm -f 1.bin
rm -f 2.bin
rm -f 3.bin
rm -f 4.bin
rm -f 5.bin
rm -f 6.bin
rm -f 7.bin
rm -f 8.bin
rm -f 9.bin
rm -f 10.bin

IowaMan
Premium Member
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to macdude22

Premium Member

to macdude22
Of course, Since you have Ultra 50Mbps, You can actually change your account to Mediacom Ultra and actually have the cap set at 999 GB
Why can't Mediacom give you that other 1 GB I mean REALLY

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by IowaMan:

Why can't Mediacom give you that other 1 GB I mean REALLY

Maybe their software can't handle more than 3 digits.
Barnstormer
join:2007-12-12
Waverly, IA

Barnstormer to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
So if 2% of users are the "problem" can we assume Mediacom will start to enforce the existing cap that is already on the books? They almost have to at least make some type of effort to back up their claims of why they are doing this.