uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to IowaMan

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

what? government? nobody mentioned anything like that. to be honest they really didn't say anything about it other than handing out a piece of paper with some Q&A explaining how this will not affect about 98% of mediacom customers.

its a money grab. we all know it. i hope they wont insult people by desciribing this as an enhancement of our service.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN
Then it just must have been that tech talking out his ass. I wonder how many he's told that to and believed him! I do live in an area where, let's say, technology isn't the highest priority.

Hobo Clown

join:2011-08-03
reply to RyanThaDude
I am taking one for the team folks since I found out we have newsgroup access again I have downloaded about 600 GB of high definition Linux Iso's so we shall see if I get a letter or call I have been a HSI customer from the very start.

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK
said by Hobo Clown:

I am taking one for the team folks since I found out we have newsgroup access again I have downloaded about 600 GB of high definition Linux Iso's so we shall see if I get a letter or call I have been a HSI customer from the very start.

If by "taking one for the team" you mean giving Mediacom the excuse to drive up everyone's prices and enforce caps, good work! Can't thank you enough for the hard work and sacrifice you've gone through to use 600 GB of bandwidth to stick it to the man (who then, in turns, sticks it to the rest of us).

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
Yeah. Because they needed a reason to start charging us the modem and EMTA fee, right? Companies conjure up reasons out of thin air. One guy testing the limits one month to see if he gets flagged after supposedly being grandfathered in as unlimited isn't going to be a cause for them raising fees later on. The man was going to stick it to us anyway. It's just a matter of when and for what.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
reply to RyanThaDude
I'm still a little surprised that they didn't change anything on the speeds side of things (with the tiny exception of 20->30 and 12->15). No upload increase? No speed increase for other tiers?

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Well, The 3Mb tier DID receive 512K up

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
reply to MediacomChad
These counters must not be very accurate. I noticed mine didn't change for the last 10-11 days the my billing cycle that just ended. Been saying same amount since the first time I looked for first time on 8/6.

Oh, and on 3rd day of new billing cycle and counter is still at ZERO.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
I'm in need of a new router. I have Ultra 50 now and with the need to monitor bandwidth, Should I look at DD-WRT or something else?
I have a Netgear WNDR 3700v.3 and the wireless on ultra 50 is complete crap. (Wired things are amazing) Advice?
(My Internet 15Mb was going to $50 so Chad set me up for a year on Ultra for not much more)

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 edit
I'd slap dd-wrt on it anyway. It did wonders for my bro-in-law's Belkin and improved it in many ways, including operating several laptops and 5 xboxes without a hitch.

The old stock firmware could barely handle 2 xboxes and a couple laptops.

EDIT: The WNDR3700v3 is supported by Brainslayer. »www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/download···00v3.chk
After that flash, you could go std or big.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Hmm, I can't seem to find the standard builds as it says the 3700v.3 isn't supported??

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

1 edit
I gave you the link to the latest Brainslayer build above. You can usually flash the mini build then flash it to the std or big build.

You have to visit:
Downloads
Other Downloads
others
eko
BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2
07-20-12-r19519 (the latest build)
broadcom_K26

The WNDR3700v3 should be in there as a chk file. After you're done flashing it initially, you can upgrade it to a std or big build.

GrandMstrBud

join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA
This is ridiculous setting a limit on cable internet. Granted 250GB is a lot but it's the point of it. Glad I'm not wasting my money on them anymore.

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA
reply to MediacomChad
What's the point of the meter if it's this far behind?

From the caption under my usage that still shows 0 for this month...
Data usage above as measured by Mediacom as of 8/7/2012 02:20. Note that recent usage may not be included in this amount due to routine or other delays in data usage aggregation and reporting.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
Click for full size
And... Why since I have Ultra 50 does it say I ONLY have 250 GB to use??

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11
that's what mine says. but i'm grandfathered in on the old system since i haven't made any changes in my account. my usage is a little higher then yours though

Clever Name
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Davenport, IA
reply to RyanThaDude
Their meter is way off, in my favor so that's fine. Waaaay off.

Edit - how the hell do you add a reply to the thread in general not to the op. Durp.

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA
Only choice I have ever known of is reply op or reply to a specific user's post. One thing I've not cared for about this forum.

evilbender

join:2012-08-19
Des Moines, IA
reply to RyanThaDude
Does it really matter how much they cap it? With as lousy as the service is anyways you'll never reach the cap, im down constantly with DNS errors and service interruptions. Heck this move isnt even to improve service, thats continually getting worse its a plain old $$$ grab.

Zoomer30

join:2003-05-01
Mason City, IA
reply to RyanThaDude
Only about 15GB for me now. Seem to ave about 20-30 a month.

Omni
Token Psychopath

join:2001-12-03
Iowa
reply to RyanThaDude
Welp, I'm switching ISPs.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
I'm on the verge of this as well (though i'm stuck with TV as I don't want to mess with a contract nor an installation)

Omni
Token Psychopath

join:2001-12-03
Iowa
The interesting thing is, I'm getting ready to move. I was getting ready to recommend we stick with Mediacom to my roommate, but the fact of the matter is, I don't have to put up with their bullshit anymore. The local telephone Coop ran fiber all over the city, and they're going to be offering speeds higher than Mediacom can reach, for less, WITH TV that actually is pretty fucking decent.

Oh, and no cap. No overage.

I'm done with Mediacom. Period.
--
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
- Martin Luther King Jr.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
said by Omni:

The interesting thing is, I'm getting ready to move. I was getting ready to recommend we stick with Mediacom to my roommate, but the fact of the matter is, I don't have to put up with their bullshit anymore. The local telephone Coop ran fiber all over the city, and they're going to be offering speeds higher than Mediacom can reach, for less, WITH TV that actually is pretty fucking decent.

Oh, and no cap. No overage.

I'm done with Mediacom. Period.

Curious, what co-op? The co-op nearest me is running fiber too. I've heard of several people switching from Mediacom to them. Not necessarily because of the caps, though it is safe to say that probably made an impact on their decision.

nicheplayer

join:2008-02-15
Iowa City, IA
reply to RyanThaDude
Whew. Just cut the cord on my cable TV but not my HSI. I've been a MCHSI subscriber here in IC since before the service was officially announced.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to IowaMan
UNLESS YOU MADE CHANGES AFTER 08/01/2012 the cap will be set at 250 GB but it will NOT be enforced. So anyone with Internet service started before 08/01/2012 will not have to deal with overage charges and will see the 250 GB on their meter.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT
said by Anonymous:

UNLESS YOU MADE CHANGES AFTER 08/01/2012 the cap will be set at 250 GB but it will NOT be enforced. So anyone with Internet service started before 08/01/2012 will not have to deal with overage charges and will see the 250 GB on their meter.

So, they're only ripping off "new" customers.

stockiepoo

@mchsi.com
reply to RyanThaDude
as a single guy I used only 11GB this month, and I browse the net and youtube fairly often. However I no longer pirate, and don't watch much streaming content. I'll keep the service until I have problems hitting the caps, then I'll stop.

Or if mediacom charges too much, I know they tack on a $15 fee when you don't have cable. With time warner my father pays only $30 for his internet, I don't think getting it that cheap is possible with mediacom.

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11
reply to Simba7
I'm just glad I'm an old customer