uniqs

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

Damn, 40Mbps for $55 a month I'll take that
»www.southslope.com/resid ··· internet
Clever Name
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Davenport, IA

3 edits

Clever Name to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
Mediacom basically wants anyone that actually uses their broadband to move up to the much higher cost packages. 50 megabits down is $99 a month ($15 more if you don't have tv service), which gets you triple the comcast cap.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to IowaMan

Premium Member

to IowaMan
said by IowaMan:

Damn, 40Mbps for $55 a month I'll take that
»www.southslope.com/resid ··· internet

Last I heard from someone who had that, the 40mbps was more like 50mbps.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
Chad, How long is this going to go on before "current" customers are made to go into this??
(Think AT&T with the Original iPhone plans which were unlimited then capped per month for first new accounts and THEN went to EVERYONE??

If something happens with speeds (or is THIS what you couldn't talk about til now)??? What is the point of having faster speeds if they should come down the road? So we can burn through our cap faster?

fritolay
@centurytel.net

fritolay to MediacomChad

Anon

to MediacomChad
Will there be caps on business accounts?

Also, the current subscriber agreement still has the old 250gb cap listed.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to IowaMan

Premium Member

to IowaMan
Currently we have no plan to add this to current customers. Speeds and data allowances increase with different data tiers. Even with higher download speeds, we are not seeing many go over this allowance as we have watched it. This allows us to increase speeds to better serve customers needs.

This affected residential customers who make internet changes on or after August 1. if you have questions specific to your business service account, please contact your account executive.

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1

So what happens when someone wants the 999GB capped plan but live in an area that Mediacom doesn't provide 50mb+ service?
Will Mediacom be doubling its efforts to bring those speeds to everyone?
Will Mediacom provide 999GB to those stuck at the lower speeds if the customer wants a higher cap?
kwbelt1

kwbelt1 to IowaMan

to IowaMan
From "Chris" in the Mediacom support forums.

"The new data allowances only apply to accounts that were created or changed after August 1st, 2012. Currently we are not changing accounts that were set up before then onto the new data allowances. This means you will maintain the 250GB threshold that existed beforehand."

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to Clever Name

to Clever Name
said by Clever Name:

Mediacom basically wants anyone that actually uses their broadband to move up to the much higher cost packages. 50 megabits down is $99 a month, which gets you triple the comcast cap.

Edit - I'm pretty sure that's with TV service, without tv add $15 so it's $115 a month for 50mbits down.

no thats 100 ON TOP of your TV package
add 15 to 20 for basic

we are paying 110 atm for 20/2 with digital wish it was 50
elios

elios to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
so any chance of bumping all the old max people in the Ultra tier then at there current prices?
Clever Name
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Davenport, IA

Clever Name to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
I was talking about internet only. They add a penalty fee if you don't have tv service. Fairly sure it's $115 total for internet only 50 megabit down.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to kwbelt1

to kwbelt1
said by kwbelt1:

From "Chris" in the Mediacom support forums.

"The new data allowances only apply to accounts that were created or changed after August 1st, 2012. Currently we are not changing accounts that were set up before then onto the new data allowances. This means you will maintain the 250GB threshold that existed beforehand."

And since there was no overage charge to go along with the pre Aug. 1 250GB cap then there still won't be overage charges going forward?

Chad, care to comment?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to kwbelt1

Premium Member

to kwbelt1
Currently we are working to expand out 50/5 service to new areas which will also allow us to expand the allowances out as well. The data allowances are based upon speed, and if the speed isn't available then the data allowances will not be available either. We are offering the ability to purchase additional data (50GB for $10) that will allow users to consume more data if they need to.
MediacomChad

MediacomChad to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
Chris was correct, any services added or changed before Aug 1, 2012 are not subject to usage fees at this time.

MediaCON
@mchsi.com

MediaCON

Anon

Another crap move by mediacon. Let's not tell anybody about what we're going to do until somebody on the forums outs us.

How about this. Mediacon should have given everybody at LEAST 2 weeks notice that these changes were going to happen, to give them the ability to change service, switch, cancel, whatever they wanted to do.

I stated before the buy-out that rosco owning this business outright was going to be a disaster.... just further proof.

Absolute shame that there isn't any decent competition in most areas mediacon is at... if there was, they'd be out of business within the year... and good riddance.

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1

I'm happy I signed a contract earlier this month. But just checking with Frontier they'll start offering bonded DSL to my neighborhood with 12/768 for $50 and upto 25/2 for $60. Supposedly without a cap.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

We’ve implemented the usage allowances to ensure we can deliver on our promise of Always Faster Internet. In reality, only 2% of our users exceed our usage allowances. This 2% can use over 19 times what the average household would use, and this can dramatically impact the service you experience in your home. It could cause us to raise our rates for everyone, just to accommodate the excessive use of a few.

Baloney. It is a money grab Chad.

Since in your own words the majority of customers use only 31mb a month, I would guess the majority of customers are getting screwed. Since you will charge $10 for 50mb over 250mb a month does Mediacom plan on discounting bills for all those average customers that only use 31mb a month? Seems only fair NO? Why would this not be fair for the majority of customers who do not abuse/over use your system? Penalize the abusers- YES, but give discounts to all those customers who do not use even close to 250mb a month.

Of course we all know being fair to customers is not something cable/internet companies are likely to do.

Actions like this are why consumers dislike/hate cable/internet companies.

Lazy Senior
pacmanfan
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Mansfield, MO

pacmanfan to MediaCON

Premium Member

to MediaCON
said by MediaCON :

Mediacon should have given everybody at LEAST 2 weeks notice that these changes were going to happen, to give them the ability to change service, switch, cancel, whatever they wanted to do.

Why? It has been repeatedly stated this doesn't affect existing customers under a contract, until they change their service level voluntarily.
implode
join:2009-09-06
Columbia, MO

implode to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
Wish I actually knew how much bandwidth I burned through...as regular watcher of videos, playing online games, etc etc on two computers in our household, guess we are the hated 2%. I think between our 4 members of our household we have over a dozen networked devices (2x computer, 2x laptop, 4x cell phone, 2x blu ray, 3x tablet, 2x IPOD, etc etc).
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

DoctorX to pacmanfan

to pacmanfan
or does it... it sounds like us with ultra50 have a 250G cap... if that is the case... that is wrong.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to pacmanfan

Premium Member

to pacmanfan
said by pacmanfan:

said by MediaCON :

Mediacon should have given everybody at LEAST 2 weeks notice that these changes were going to happen, to give them the ability to change service, switch, cancel, whatever they wanted to do.

Why? It has been repeatedly stated this doesn't affect existing customers under a contract, until they change their service level voluntarily.

Because people who were on the 3mbit service before the cap was announced will still be on the arbitrary 250 gig cap, while people who subscribe to 3mbit from now on will be on a cap that's 100gb lower. Informed change is always nice, whether it necessarily impacts someone directly or not. I'm sure there are some people out there who would have been impacted by that. I'd be really mad, for instance, if I'd downgraded to 3mbit or was a new subscriber, and would have made a different decision if I'd known this change was coming. And believe me, I could tear through more than 150 gigs back when I was on 1.5 mbit DSL, so it's not an impossibility.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
I'm sure this is so neatly displayed on the website too.

That's one thing I'll give Canada. They actually display their draconian usage limits. Good luck even finding it on an American ISP's website.

That's something the FCC needs to take care of.

And it's not Chad's fault he has to feed the company line. He doesn't want to be homeless.

Dave57
@mchsi.com

Dave57 to MediacomChad

Anon

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

This will only take effect for new customers or customer who make account changes after August 1st. If you already were in a contract the data allowances do not apply to you. As this will not affect customers making a change before Aug 1, there will be no need for an ETF to be waived for this.

Does this apply to change on the account (for example dropping phone or adding premium TV package) or only changes to the internet aspect (say upgrading to 50Mbps)?
Expand your moderator at work
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

quote:
Mediacom Prime Plus 350GB (20 Mbit)
quote:
Currently we have no plan to add this to current customers. Speeds and data allowances increase with different data tiers. Even with higher download speeds, we are not seeing many go over this allowance as we have watched it. This allows us to increase speeds to better serve customers needs.

This affected residential customers who make internet changes on or after August 1. if you have questions specific to your business service account, please contact your account executive.

Well then, I should be fine either way. 20/2 service signed up for in end of May, locked in for 2 years, and I doubt I'm going to hit the 350GB cap.

Considering that my only option here is Frontier DSL, I wouldn't switch back to them even if the cap was the old 250GB.

I'm impressed that Mediacom is changing allowances at a per-tier level, having a cap sucks but at least they aren't going to implement a single cap for all tiers.

My only question is this.. Where will we be able to monitor our bandwidth usage (once it's live)? I know that you can PM chad or one of the support team on the other Mediacom support forums, but there's a tool coming very soon, right?

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to rudnicke

Premium Member

to rudnicke
This is what happens when consumers just bend over and take it up the ass. TW got a lot of crap and they stopped it (for now) only for consumers to forget about it and let Comcast do it. Now they will all follow.

I think cable cos should start mailing samples of ass lube with their monthly statements.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to Dave57

Premium Member

to Dave57
Dave57 - This only applies to changes to the internet service. You can make changes to your television and phone service with no issues.

JTR - We expect the bandwidth usage monitoring tool to be online soon, and it will be located on the MediacomToday.com website.

evilpasta
@mchsi.com

evilpasta

Anon

Will the data measurement be applied to downstream, upstream, or both?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

The data usage takes into account both the download and upload bandwidth usage.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
whats pricing on the new Ultra 50 with the 999GB cap?
how much more would it be over what we are paying now? the 120/m deal you got us? were on the 20/2 now