uniqs
share rss forum feed

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to implode

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

I'd run the math, but the problem is that the amount you see with speedboost varies wildly. The only thing I could really factor in is overprovisioning, and even that can vary.

One thing to note with my calculations is that I'm only calculating maxing out download bandwidth. Upload bandwidth usage isn't factored in.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
reply to drslash
(sorry for the double post, I'm used to forums that merge recent posts)

We are technically unlimited now.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to RyanThaDude
how about they just upgrade the areas that dont have docsis 3 yet. For petes sake come on. Lets keep on rolling out crap that most people cant have. Then screw them to caps when they want to upgrade because mediacom was TO SLOW TO UPGRADE ALL AREAS.

rudnicke
Premium
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL
kudos:4
reply to RyanThaDude
Does anyone know how to get a hold of the CEO of Mediacom? I'd like to give him and his greedy folks there at corp a piece of my mind.
--
One Big Ass Mistake America

saddened

@mchsi.com
reply to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

how about they just upgrade the areas that dont have docsis 3 yet. For petes sake come on. Lets keep on rolling out crap that most people cant have. Then screw them to caps when they want to upgrade because mediacom was TO SLOW TO UPGRADE ALL AREAS.

here in chillicothe around x-mas time they went docsis3 and some of us on the max got their modems blowed. of course none in stock for this. i had to spend 98 dollars at Staples. so my 5tb a month makes me feel lil bit better. they havent offered me a modem since 1999 old surfboard.

thurst0n

join:2011-06-19
Johnston, IA
kudos:1
reply to RyanThaDude
This almost reminds me of the whole 99% vs 1% in the US Economy right now. Should the top 1% of income earners pay more taxes? Should the top 2% of internet users pay for more infrastructure?

The bottom line is that everyone (everyone = mediacom AND customers) only thinks about themselves.

The sad reality is that we are all in this together, whether it's the internet or whether it's the economy, health care whatever.

Everyone (see definition of everyone above) you have to have a little give and take.

If you're actually using 1TB of data a month, you should pay for it, get a business account for example.

I'm not sure how any customers can say these current implementations are completely out of whack, they might need some tweaking and finesse with implementation. But the bottom line is that you actually need these speeds with that much bandwidth than you should have options. But more than likely you're just being greedy yourself while trying to tell mediacom they are being greedy.

Disclaimer: I think mediacom is greedy, but so are all their customers.

The only ones that aren't greedy are the ones that are bending over and taking it, an that's because they don't know any better.

Bottom line: Mediacom is a business. It needs customers to ensure a continuing business, even if it does effectively have a monopoly in some areas. Mediacom should remind themselves of this everyday, and work to ensure that customers are treated well.

Customers should take a step back and realize how spoiled they are. Oh noes! I can't use more internet than I need. STFU with your first world problems. I'm going to leave everyone with a quote from thomas paine. It rings true on so many levels.

"Personal property is the effect of society; and it is as impossible for an individual to acquire personal property without the aid of society, as it is for him to make land originally.
Separate an individual from society, and give him an island or a continent to possess, and he cannot acquire personal property. He cannot be rich. So inseparably are the means connected with the end, in all cases, that where the former do not exist the latter cannot be obtained. All accumulation, therefore, of personal property, beyond what a man's own hands produce, is derived to him by living in society; and he owes on every principle of justice, of gratitude, and of civilization, a part of that accumulation back again to society from whence the whole came."
-Agrarian Justice Part Three

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

3 edits

1 recommendation

said by thurst0n:

I'm not sure how any customers can say these current implementations are completely out of whack, they might need some tweaking and finesse with implementation. But the bottom line is that you actually need these speeds with that much bandwidth than you should have options. But more than likely you're just being greedy yourself while trying to tell mediacom they are being greedy.

Disclaimer: I think mediacom is greedy, but so are all their customers.

The customer is already paying Mediacom and paying Mediacom very well. Since when is paying money every month and expecting decent service in return greedy? No one is wanting anything for free.

Internet connectivity is more or less an unlimited resource. It never runs out and is limited only by the size of the pipe. Fact is the cost to increase the size of that pipe is dropping at an incredible speed, as are costs for deploying and upgrading networks. None of these savings are being passed on to the customer. Charging a customer money based on consumption for an unlimited resource when they are already paying a monthly bill is greedy. Making up excuses about how the consumption must be limited to protect the network from congestion, then providing a method that does not in any way prevent or even reduce congestion is wrong. If Mediacom isn't making enough money, which they are, then they could simply raise the monthly bill. Instead they are trying to put the blame on the 2% of their customers who use the product they are paying for. They will effectively charge those top 2% more money and at the same time push other customers up to higher tiers, push people to business tiers, and therefore make money without actually raising the monthly bill. It is all about making more money. Mediacom just assumes their customers are incompetent and will believe what they are told.
Expand your moderator at work

MNUser

join:2010-11-27
Hamel, MN
reply to RyanThaDude

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

Here's a fun idea ... how about turning those data meters off when our download speed is less than 50% the speed we're led to believe that we're paying for?

Yes, I still regularly experience this, Chad. And I do sincerely thank you for your help in solving my issues last year, but no, I'm not interested in spending months on the issue again only to have Mediacom eventually determine that the issue is not on my side and acknowledge that they need to address the congestion issue on their network. Of course, I'd then wait a few months for it to actually be addressed due to rescheduled maintenance in my area. I am defeated.

For the money I spend on Mediacom each month, I get the lowest value and least level of customer satisfaction of all services I pay for, but I have very few options. I moved my home office out of the home because of this and I'm quite satisfied with my Comcast 70+ Mbit down consistent bandwidth there. I wish they offered service in my area, but I live about 1 mile west of their service area. Frustrating on so many levels.

implode

join:2009-09-06
Columbia, MO
reply to RyanThaDude
I hope google fiber offers some competition soon, the reality of that would force some positive changes in my area. $100 for full cable minus HBO, and Gigabyte internet would be pretty sweet. When competition enters the market things will get ugly.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Our average Internet subscriber currently uses only 31 GB of data per month ...

Interesting ... I was racking up triple that on a 3.0Mbs DSL connection!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
said by NormanS:

said by MediacomChad:

Well I guess that makes you above average!

It's not about how much bandwidth people use right now. Cable CEOs have nightmares about their companies becoming 'dumb pipe' providers. They have no interest in providing just a connection for people to access content provided by someone else.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
said by Anonymous:

said by NormanS:

said by MediacomChad:

It's not about how much bandwidth people use right now. Cable CEOs have nightmares about their companies becoming 'dumb pipe' providers. They have no interest in providing just a connection for people to access content provided by someone else.

Yet Cable CEOs jack cable TV rates twice a year with large percentage increases. People will change their habits when they get screwed.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Anonymous
said by Anonymous:

said by NormanS:

said by MediacomChad:

That figure was obtained from the AT&T bandwidth meter, implemented about February, 2011. They set the usage cap on legacy DSL accounts at 150 GB, with $10 per 50 GB over. Surely bandwidth doesn't cost them that much! Ah, yes; their caps on U-verse are 250 GB, so a stick (overage fees on a lower cap) and a carrot (a higher cap before charging overage) to move people away from their aging ADSL services.

It's all about price gouging money. Funny how all the companies billing overage have settled on 10$ per 50 GB. "Monkey (Mediacom) see (AT&T/Comcast overage charges), monkey do?"

Anyway, I fired AT&T last year (April, 2011), and currently have no caps on my service.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
reply to MediacomChad
Sorry it's been said and I missed it, but are customers going to have visibility to their usage on a daily basis?

mcnewbie

@mchsi.com
reply to RyanThaDude
FWIW, I signed up for a new 12/15 account today and the sales rep I spoke with repeatedly stated that the cap was between 250-300 gb but would not state an exact number when asked.

Also kind of disappointed I couldn't get in at the price that is clearly stated on this page: »mediacomcable.com/special_offers_01.html

Don't know if it's an outdated page or what, but if so it should probably be taken down. Almost cost them my signup today but I must have service. Chad, want to help a new customer out?

mcnewbie

@mchsi.com
I also find it very annoying that a service call is required for an installation. This was a brand new install two months ago before one of the previous people moved out and to get it set back up (ie: the technician to connect the coax to the modem) I have block off a four-hour period from work and pay $9.99.

I'm not an expert, but I think I can handle attaching a coax and call in for activation, and I know the local office carries the modems.

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA
Most likely a tech is needed to remove/change the trap to allow the internet freq's through to you.

Clever Name
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Davenport, IA
They don't block the internet with traps. They control access completely from their end so there's no need. They will most likely just check the signal.

If he's getting their tv service then yeah, traps.

twhiting9275

join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to RyanThaDude
As we've all seen confirmed, yes they will be. there ARE soe quite serious concerns with this though, not the least of which is coming from Mediacom.

Firstly, it is on mediacom to PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt that the user is using , well, excess data. It's not on the customer to know this! Just because you want to charge for something doesn't mean you legally CAN do so. You must PROVE that the customer has done this.

Secondly, the limits are draconian. This isn't 2005 where nobody streams, downloads or does anything online . Those limits are about half what they should be.

Thirdly, and more importantly, this is self serving. Mediacom and every other cable co simply wants you to stop streaming tv. This way you have to do things THEIR way. Why? They lose revenue when you stream. So, they penalize you, their already highly charged customer.

This is as ridiculous as it gets . It's all about ripping customers off as much as they can!!!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
reply to Clever Name
mcnewbie - When a house is disconnected, it is most often hard disconnected so we do require a technician to install new service.

The special offers page that you linked are offers that we have for current customers. The offers that we have for new customers are separate from those for existing customers.

WhatHappened

join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN
The new customer specials are better:

»mediacomcable.com/site/order_ser···fers.php

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to RyanThaDude
Has anyone checked the accuracy of the meters?

I went through my router log and notice it's way off! In my logs from 6/18 - 7/17 it shows I used 89.69GB whereas their meter shows I used 132.8GB, 43.11GB off! I definitely will be keeping an eye on this. I'm sure my router might be a little off. A gig or two would be acceptable but 43 gig? While this cycle isn't over it also is showing around 40GB off but due to 12 hour power outage we had a few days ago due to the storms it shows nothing used on the 4th in my router, but no way in hell I used 40GB!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
Sounds like an issues with time frames. We are displaying your current billing cycle use.

WhatHappened

join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN
Holy crap, that bandwidth meter is way off.

I don't have Netflix anymore and I currently use 32-46GB/month.

But for June the Mediacom site is showing I used 228.6 GB. How could anything be that far off ( over 500% off, Actual total June 1-30 usage 41,240MB)? May, July and current Aug reported usage looks about right.

This is going to be fun when/if overage charges start. I hope Chad is going to come here and say that previous 3 months data are bogus or something.

That extra made up ~200GB could cost someone $40.

Riverpilot

join:2006-12-11
U.S.A
reply to RyanThaDude
Unfortunate mediacom is doing this.

The person behind chad, may I suggest you have your IT check the accuracy of the usage meter. I know for a fact my router is accurate, as I've been monitoring for over a year. I also have separate software monitoring my data usage.

Mediacom stats and mine are nowhere close to being the same. In fact, they are off by more than 300%. Something on your system is not monitoring correctly.

I would also like to know how the metering is done. Via account number? IP? I believe a full explanation of how the metering is conducted should be put up immediately.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

Walkerton, IN
reply to MediacomChad
The data I pulled from the router was during the billing cycle. I copied each date (up & down) and placed it in a spreadsheet to calculate. I wish there was a way for DD-WRT to use a billing cycle instead of a full month to rule out error.

kwbelt1

join:2006-06-03
Marion, IL
reply to WhatHappened
Am I blind or missing something. Where are you seeing on the Mediacom site how much data you're using?

Edt: Never mind, I found it. I truly am blind.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

Walkerton, IN

phantom99b

join:2008-08-04
Chillicothe, IL
reply to RyanThaDude
I just check to see how accutate my usage was according my router and my router shows that I have used 16.61 gigs as of right now while the usage meter shows that as of 8/7/2012 01:15 I used 15.7 gigs which sounds about right since I was uploading files all night last night.