join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to MediacomChad

MVM

to MediacomChad

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

said by MediacomChad:

Our average Internet subscriber currently uses only 31 GB of data per month ...

Interesting ... I was racking up triple that on a 3.0Mbs DSL connection!

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by MediacomChad:

Well I guess that makes you above average!

It's not about how much bandwidth people use right now. Cable CEOs have nightmares about their companies becoming 'dumb pipe' providers. They have no interest in providing just a connection for people to access content provided by someone else.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

said by Anonymous88:

said by NormanS:

said by MediacomChad:

It's not about how much bandwidth people use right now. Cable CEOs have nightmares about their companies becoming 'dumb pipe' providers. They have no interest in providing just a connection for people to access content provided by someone else.

Yet Cable CEOs jack cable TV rates twice a year with large percentage increases. People will change their habits when they get screwed.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Anonymous88

MVM

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

said by NormanS:

said by MediacomChad:

That figure was obtained from the AT&T bandwidth meter, implemented about February, 2011. They set the usage cap on legacy DSL accounts at 150 GB, with $10 per 50 GB over. Surely bandwidth doesn't cost them that much! Ah, yes; their caps on U-verse are 250 GB, so a stick (overage fees on a lower cap) and a carrot (a higher cap before charging overage) to move people away from their aging ADSL services.

It's all about price gouging money. Funny how all the companies billing overage have settled on 10$ per 50 GB. "Monkey (Mediacom) see (AT&T/Comcast overage charges), monkey do?"

Anyway, I fired AT&T last year (April, 2011), and currently have no caps on my service.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
Sorry it's been said and I missed it, but are customers going to have visibility to their usage on a daily basis?

mcnewbie
@mchsi.com

mcnewbie to RyanThaDude

Anon

to RyanThaDude
FWIW, I signed up for a new 12/15 account today and the sales rep I spoke with repeatedly stated that the cap was between 250-300 gb but would not state an exact number when asked.

Also kind of disappointed I couldn't get in at the price that is clearly stated on this page: »mediacomcable.com/specia ··· _01.html

Don't know if it's an outdated page or what, but if so it should probably be taken down. Almost cost them my signup today but I must have service. Chad, want to help a new customer out?
mcnewbie

mcnewbie

Anon

I also find it very annoying that a service call is required for an installation. This was a brand new install two months ago before one of the previous people moved out and to get it set back up (ie: the technician to connect the coax to the modem) I have block off a four-hour period from work and pay $9.99.

I'm not an expert, but I think I can handle attaching a coax and call in for activation, and I know the local office carries the modems.

ZC_217
join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA

ZC_217

Most likely a tech is needed to remove/change the trap to allow the internet freq's through to you.
Clever Name
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Davenport, IA

Clever Name

Premium Member

They don't block the internet with traps. They control access completely from their end so there's no need. They will most likely just check the signal.

If he's getting their tv service then yeah, traps.
twhiting9275
join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA

twhiting9275 to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
As we've all seen confirmed, yes they will be. there ARE soe quite serious concerns with this though, not the least of which is coming from Mediacom.

Firstly, it is on mediacom to PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt that the user is using , well, excess data. It's not on the customer to know this! Just because you want to charge for something doesn't mean you legally CAN do so. You must PROVE that the customer has done this.

Secondly, the limits are draconian. This isn't 2005 where nobody streams, downloads or does anything online . Those limits are about half what they should be.

Thirdly, and more importantly, this is self serving. Mediacom and every other cable co simply wants you to stop streaming tv. This way you have to do things THEIR way. Why? They lose revenue when you stream. So, they penalize you, their already highly charged customer.

This is as ridiculous as it gets . It's all about ripping customers off as much as they can!!!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to Clever Name

Premium Member

to Clever Name
mcnewbie - When a house is disconnected, it is most often hard disconnected so we do require a technician to install new service.

The special offers page that you linked are offers that we have for current customers. The offers that we have for new customers are separate from those for existing customers.
WhatHappened
join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

The new customer specials are better:

»mediacomcable.com/site/o ··· fers.php

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

Has anyone checked the accuracy of the meters?

I went through my router log and notice it's way off! In my logs from 6/18 - 7/17 it shows I used 89.69GB whereas their meter shows I used 132.8GB, 43.11GB off! I definitely will be keeping an eye on this. I'm sure my router might be a little off. A gig or two would be acceptable but 43 gig? While this cycle isn't over it also is showing around 40GB off but due to 12 hour power outage we had a few days ago due to the storms it shows nothing used on the 4th in my router, but no way in hell I used 40GB!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Sounds like an issues with time frames. We are displaying your current billing cycle use.
WhatHappened
join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

Holy crap, that bandwidth meter is way off.

I don't have Netflix anymore and I currently use 32-46GB/month.

But for June the Mediacom site is showing I used 228.6 GB. How could anything be that far off ( over 500% off, Actual total June 1-30 usage 41,240MB)? May, July and current Aug reported usage looks about right.

This is going to be fun when/if overage charges start. I hope Chad is going to come here and say that previous 3 months data are bogus or something.

That extra made up ~200GB could cost someone $40.
Riverpilot
join:2006-12-11

Riverpilot to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
Unfortunate mediacom is doing this.

The person behind chad, may I suggest you have your IT check the accuracy of the usage meter. I know for a fact my router is accurate, as I've been monitoring for over a year. I also have separate software monitoring my data usage.

Mediacom stats and mine are nowhere close to being the same. In fact, they are off by more than 300%. Something on your system is not monitoring correctly.

I would also like to know how the metering is done. Via account number? IP? I believe a full explanation of how the metering is conducted should be put up immediately.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
The data I pulled from the router was during the billing cycle. I copied each date (up & down) and placed it in a spreadsheet to calculate. I wish there was a way for DD-WRT to use a billing cycle instead of a full month to rule out error.

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1 to WhatHappened

to WhatHappened
Am I blind or missing something. Where are you seeing on the Mediacom site how much data you're using?

Edt: Never mind, I found it. I truly am blind.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

»www.mediacomtoday.com/us ··· gemeter/
phantom99b
join:2008-08-04
Chillicothe, IL

phantom99b to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
I just check to see how accutate my usage was according my router and my router shows that I have used 16.61 gigs as of right now while the usage meter shows that as of 8/7/2012 01:15 I used 15.7 gigs which sounds about right since I was uploading files all night last night.
macdude22
join:2005-09-08
IA

macdude22 to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
Usage data for account *** not available

Sweet?

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
The usage meter *seems* accurate for me. Says 29 gigs, NetWorx is saying 13 gigs but I've only been monitoring since 7/26 and I know I had several substantial downloads plus other device usage that would have tallied into that before that date. I won't know for sure until the monitor synchs up with the monitor I run on my PC though in about a week.

Obviously though monitor accuracy is still a big concern, especially for people whose monitors are way off. And anyone savvy enough to be monitoring generally has a good idea of what their usage is or should be, so I don't doubt their reports of the monitor not being accurate. It's a new system, and things are bound to be screwed up some place. Let's hope they get worked out before people start getting charged for them. That right there is a great case for why the monitors should have been introduced to people several months before overage charges would start coming down the wire, so that people would have time to get used to them and disputing them without having to worry about paying more if they weren't accurate.

mcnewbie
@winegard.com

mcnewbie to RyanThaDude

Anon

to RyanThaDude
I apologize if these questions have been asked already, but just curious:

If you go over, will it automatically apply a full 50GB at $10?

Say you use 20GB of that 50GB, do you just lose the remaining 30 at the next billing cycle or is it something that will rollover and accumulate?

Chad, do you care to comment on what the CSR told me yesterday that the cap for the 12/15 plan is actually between 250-300GB and not exactly at 250GB? This could be very good information to know.
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

DoctorX to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
The truth about bandwidth caps. I would love Mediacom to answer this:

»twit.tv/show/twit-live-s ··· ials/133
macdude22
join:2005-09-08
IA

macdude22 to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude
Usage meter is showing 542.6 GB of 250 GB used, which seems plausible. We have multiple TVs we watch Netflix on, plus multiple gaming consoles, gaming computers,(steam sales my best and worst friend), etc...

Mediacom Online Ultra 50
50Mbps Download / 5Mbps Upload
250 GB monthly usage allowance

Granted, I should be in the "old" unlimited plan for now, but will this be updated to show the correct usage allowance?
Clever Name
Premium Member
Davenport, IA

Clever Name to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
The beauty of a government sanctioned monopoly. Do whatever you want. How many of you have cancelled your service? Yeah.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by Clever Name:

The beauty of a government sanctioned monopoly. Do whatever you want. How many of you have cancelled your service? Yeah.

Alright. I'll bite. Just to whom am I supposed to switch, Mr. Clever? Would that be the DSL provider who won't give me more than 1.5mbit speed (if I'm lucky), which also has caps listed in their TOS that are equal to or probably lower than what I'm getting now since I can't get a decent speed package? Would that be some shabby speed satellite internet company with...caps? Should I try tethering to an overpriced cell phone plan with...caps (which probably prohibits tethering anyway)? Unfortunately, I don't live in the Kansas City area, or I'd do my best to get Google Fiber to show up in my neighborhood.

This is like telling people to switch electric companies or water companies. You can't, because there aren't any others to switch to, or, in the situation where there are other alternatives, they often aren't much better.

So you propose I just cancel my service and live without internet? That seems like cutting off my nose to spite my face. I need service - it's my connection to the outside world for entertainment, work, socialization, and contact with my daughter's school, among all the other everyday things people use the internet for. The best I can do is give the company my two cents worth about their policies, which if you've known me around here you'll know I've not been shy about in the past and try to ride it out.

I'm attempting to look on the bright side with this change because it could be so much worse than it is. Do I like it - no. But if I want internet service, I don't really have another option at the moment.
Clever Name
Premium Member
Davenport, IA

Clever Name to RyanThaDude

Premium Member

to RyanThaDude
What part of monopoly don't you understand? No shit, you're not going anywhere.

That's about the only thing that would get their attention. Mass cancellation, which isn't going to happen.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

I think the sarcasm of your last post completely escaped me. There are people in other areas of the country who are luckier, and who have more choices for these things. I envy them. I seriously do.

mike1965
Geek4rent
join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL

mike1965

Might be a good suggestion to put the meter where you log in to for your account......I have never had a mediacom e-mail address...and have no need for one