All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor

Re: [IPv6] When will they roll out IPv6 where I am?

that doesnt mean comcast has
checked the approved devices page

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

The "J" model is.

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

This just means they have actually had someone verify support. I can think of a number of modems that aren't listed but work on v6 on the Comcast network.

It's more likely the case your CMTS isn't enabled.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by whfsdude:

said by JigglyWiggly:

This just means they have actually had someone verify support. I can think of a number of modems that aren't listed but work on v6 on the Comcast network.

Keee-wrecked!

All D3 modems/gateways/eMTAs are IPv6 compliant...or they would not be Docsis 3.0.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by PeteC2:

said by whfsdude:

said by JigglyWiggly:

Keee-wrecked!

All D3 modems/gateways/eMTAs are IPv6 compliant...or they would not be Docsis 3.0.

That is not entirely correct. The SMCD3G-CCR used for Comcast Business Class customers is a DOCSIS 3.0 device, but it is in no way IPv6 compliant (or even IPv6 cognizant).

JigglyWiggly
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly to EG

to EG
if it isn't painfully obvious i dont own the j, i said zoom5431, which implies the h model because if you had the j model it says J all over. Even in my modem configratuion tab it just says zoom5341, not h.

also that isn't possible ipv6 is in Pleasanton California. It was the first market for ipv6
»Comcast Begins IPv6 Pilot Deployments [41] comments

the zoom5341 does support ipv6, it's even in the configuration page, it's just not there. Comcast doesn't support ipv6 on this modem.

but idk why people care ipv6, it's just worse.
I just don't want to be NAT'd.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

the zoom5341 does support ipv6, it's even in the configuration page, it's just not there. Comcast doesn't support ipv6 on this modem.

What router are you running behind the modem? If it's pfsense (saw dual wan earlier in your posts) you need to be on the 2.1-BETA0 branch for DHCPv6-PD to work.

but idk why people care ipv6, it's just worse.

So the end-to-end nature of the internet can preserved without NAT gateways shoved everywhere. Even if Comcast has enough IPv4 for a couple years of growth, the rest of the Internet doesn't.

I just don't want to be NAT'd.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

if it isn't painfully obvious i dont own the j, i said zoom5431, which implies the h model because if you had the j model it says J all over.

Isn't it "painfully obvious" that I was just making a point that one of them is indeed "checked" on their list ?

JigglyWiggly
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly to whfsdude

to whfsdude
Wait in the modem page I don't have an ipv6 address for my modem. I would assume I would need that first, which is why I didn't bother upgrading pfsense to an ipv6 version. So does my router need to be ipv6 compliant for the modem to get an ipv6 address? I would think the modem would just get an ipv6 address but just not use it if the router does not support it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

Wait in the modem page I don't have an ipv6 address for my modem. I would assume I would need that first, which is why I didn't bother upgrading pfsense to an ipv6 version. So does my router need to be ipv6 compliant for the modem to get an ipv6 address? I would think the modem would just get an ipv6 address but just not use it if the router does not support it.

What you are seeing on the "modem page" is probably the IP address used by Comcast for their CMTS access, and it has nothing to do with end user IPv4 or IPv6 access. Post a screen shot if you want us to really know what you are seeing.

If you want to find out if you really have Comcast's native IPv6 enabled for your connection, just connect a PC (that has an IPv6 protocol stack installed) directly to your modem. Then power cycle the modem and reboot the PC. If the PC gets an IPv6 address, then you have IPv6 available, and then you can worry about trying to configure your router.

If you don't know how to tell if your PC has an IPv6 address, then go to »www.comcast6.net/ and run the three tests on the upper right side of that page. That will tell you if you actually have an IPv6 connection.

JigglyWiggly
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

that's what i thought
and yes i know how to check if i have ipv6 access
idc for having ipv6 though, just curious.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

that's what i thought
and yes i know how to check if i have ipv6 access
idc for having ipv6 though, just curious.

OK, glad you know how to check for IPv6. Your previous post however, did not seem to say that, and that is why you got the unneeded advice.

JigglyWiggly
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

what made you say that? I was asking if my router had to be ipv6 compliant for my modem to get a ipv6 address.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

what made you say that? I was asking if my router had to be ipv6 compliant for my modem to get a ipv6 address.

I know what you asked, and that is why I assumed that you needed help. But since you say you don't need help no more help will be coming from me.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

Wait in the modem page I don't have an ipv6 address for my modem. I would assume I would need that first, which is why I didn't bother upgrading pfsense to an ipv6 version.

Like NetFixer See Profile said your modem doesn't need an IPV6 address for your router to be able pull a V6 address.

And for the record IPV6 is indeed active in Pleasanton.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by netcool:

Like NetFixer See Profile said your modem doesn't need an IPV6 address for your router to be able pull a V6 address.

And for the record IPV6 is indeed active in Pleasanton.

netcool See Profile it is IPv6 not IPV6.. come on dude really?