how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
reply to Mele20

Re: Is it possible to quit Google?

I didn't know about the PCIe slot issue, but I lost interest after I'd read that Dell lied about the number of SATA 3.0 ports on the 8500. Dell originally advertised two SATA 3.0 and two SATA 2.0, but there's only one SATA 3.0! Who equips a new PC with only one SATA 3.0 port? If the PCIe slots are screwed up, forget adding a PCIe card with SATA 3.0 ports.

What are you looking at now? Dell now claims the Alienware is the only consumer PC with two SATA 3.0 ports.

»en.community.dell.com/support-fo···20113833

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
THIS IS VERY OT. Maybe this discussion could be moved to a new thread?

Sigh. I looked at HP computers...higher end...they are junk and get horrible reviews at least the ones I looked at. I can't buy from a boutique higher end maker (like Maingear or Falcon Northwest) because of shipping costs if any problems arise...it would be ok with a laptop but not desktop so I don't know what I will do.

I missed that thread you linked to but had picked up in more recent threads at Dell forum the fact that there is only one SATA 6.0 port instead of the 2 stated originally. I don't want a RAID configuration but still would want the second hard drive to run on SATA 6.0 port. I am really confused now though. If there is only one SATA 6.0 port then does that mean that if you choose the configuration with either the SSD 32GB or 250GB (if you can afford the latter) that it runs on the SATA 6.0 port and then the main hard drive has to run on SATA 3.0 port???

Then there are issues with the 8500 like the sound card mess. You can't put those old Creative cards you found on the Dell site in the 8500 (assuming Dell gets the PCIe slots problem solved) as Dell would probably say that violates the warranty because they are not approved parts and they have driver problems on Win 7 anyway but work fine on XP. Dell has only two parts listed for the 8500 and those are two Creative cards. One is a newer one (late 2011) that is evidently being sold outside the USA mostly and the other is the highest priced older Xi-Fi card which I don't think will work with my 4 speakers plus big subwoofer. I tried to ask about why Dell doesn't have a sound card on the configurator as they did for the 8300 and got answers from Dell associates that didn't answer my question. Plus, will a Creative sound card work with Windows 8 as I may end up with it? Plus, I suspect Dell has high prices on the two they list for the 8500 but no one seems to know the price. I basically got "idiot" responses from Dell to my question.

»en.community.dell.com/support-fo···20153652

Then there is the maximum RAM issue. Dell apparently no longer is saying that one can add up to 32MB RAM. I am NOT getting caught in this lie about available RAM AGAIN! Dell lied about the available RAM in the XPS 600 that I have. Now it looks like Dell's earlier statement that they would be offering the XPS 8500 with more than 16GB RAM later this year is another lie! Apparently, but no clear answer on it that I have seen, this machine is limited to 16MB RAM..mobo issue I suppose like with my XPS 600.

Dell should rename this machine. Part of the problem (aside from Dell's lying about the SATA 6 ports, maximum RAM,, etc) is that the XPS 8500 is not an XPS as Dell buyers have known it in the past. It stopped being an XPS when Dell acquired Alienware. My XPS 600 would today be sold as Alienware Aurora. Even if I had the money for Aurora it is still Sandybridge processor and is even larger than my XPS 600. There appear to be NO consumer type desktops anymore in the medium size range. They are small form factor and very difficult to work inside because of that.

I am very, very unhappy and frustrated. Plus, I just read Microsoft released Windows 8 to OEM today so how much longer will machines with Win 7 be offered?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
I personally think you got a good thing going here..and we all want to know your final decision when you do buy a new box.
Understand your frustration.

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

If there is only one SATA 6.0 port then does that mean that if you choose the configuration with either the SSD 32GB or 250GB (if you can afford the latter) that it runs on the SATA 6.0 port and then the main hard drive has to run on SATA 3.0 port???

There is only one SATA 3.0 port (6Gb/s). The rest are all SATA 2.0 ports (3Gb/s).

From what I have read on the Dell forums, no. It appears Dell puts the HDD on the lone SATA 3.0 port (6Gb/s) and the mSATA SSD on a SATA 2.0 port (3Gb/s). You can add a second SATA 3.0 HDD, but it will run at SATA 2.0 speeds because there isn't another SATA 3.0 port to connect it to.

Here are a couple of threads you might want to look at:

»en.community.dell.com/support-fo···20141266
»en.community.dell.com/support-fo···20152297

Some users claim to have bumped up the memory to 32GB on the XPS 8500.

If you want the links, let me know and I'll PM them.