All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Cjman
join:2012-06-19
Lake Elsinore, CA

Cjman

New Rev. I N-Router - Slower Wireless Speeds?

Basically I was sent a new Wireless-N Router, the Actiontec Rev. I version, and everything seemed to be set up correctly. Made sure to release the DHCP before attaching the new one as I've seen others mention. My current internet speed is the 75/35 package and my wireless speed on my previous router, the Rev. E, was around 26mbps down which wasn't too bad but I wanted to take advantage of as much as I could. So lo and behold, I set up this new router and now my average speed is about 14mbps down and 16 up; not sure what's wrong - would love to hear your theories, I know you guys are pretty awesome at helping. Thanks in advance!
matthewh16
join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA

matthewh16

I wouldn't use it for wireless N. Go grab a Linksys/Cisco WRT1xx/3xx or 1xxx/2xxx model such as this one: »www.amazon.com/Cisco-Lin ··· 03VYEYE0
and put DD-WRT on it. Make sure you set it to N only (keep the Verizon for B/G Devices), turn on 40Mhz channel, and crank up the output to 71mW. Not only will you get much faster speeds, but it'll be a much stronger signal too. I use a similar setup at my house, running dual WiFi Networks, with a RevI for B/G and a WRT320N for N and get very good speeds as well as a signal that covers our entire acre yard and 3-4 houses down :P
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

i would change the wireless channel. the router probably is picking up wifi interference

Cjman
join:2012-06-19
Lake Elsinore, CA

Cjman to matthewh16

to matthewh16
said by matthewh16:

I wouldn't use it for wireless N. Go grab a Linksys/Cisco WRT1xx/3xx or 1xxx/2xxx model such as this one: »www.amazon.com/Cisco-Lin ··· 03VYEYE0
and put DD-WRT on it. Make sure you set it to N only (keep the Verizon for B/G Devices), turn on 40Mhz channel, and crank up the output to 71mW. Not only will you get much faster speeds, but it'll be a much stronger signal too. I use a similar setup at my house, running dual WiFi Networks, with a RevI for B/G and a WRT320N for N and get very good speeds as well as a signal that covers our entire acre yard and 3-4 houses down :P

Well I was hoping to just use this new router as my main for everything as I had before. I only have 1 wireless-N ready device per say so I'm more worried about the b/g devices that I use more often that seem to have taken a dip in speeds. On the old Rev. E, my laptop which has a b/g wireless adapter peaked around 26mbps on my 75/35 connection. But now with this new Rev. I router, its only peaking at 14-16. Thank you for the tips though I'll definitely look into trying to snag one of those if I must.
Cjman

Cjman to hubrisnxs

to hubrisnxs
said by hubrisnxs:

i would change the wireless channel. the router probably is picking up wifi interference

Following your advice, I changed the wireless channel from 6, to 1, and to 11. Each time the speed either stayed the same at around 14-16mbps or even lower (the average speed on the old router was around 26mbps). I'm just confused as to why this new router seems to be less effective than my old one.