All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
LondonOntGuy
join:2004-05-12
London, ON

LondonOntGuy to Walter Dnes

to Walter Dnes

Re: [Rant] People standing in bus rear doorway (TTC)

I remember the first low rider buses the LTC had, I think they were Novas and they were awful. The rear door was as far back as possible, beside it, two awkwardly placed seats. Between the rear wheel and doors, there was a single seat.

All those oddities could have been overlooked had it been for the fact that these buses weren't made for Canadian weather. They'd break down in the winter and leaked whenever it rained.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Didn't they also have a small issue with fires as well? I vaguely remember a series of bus fires in the last few years. The older "new look" (fishbowl) buses seemed very strong, one destroyed the bridge on Richmond Street, and I recall another blowing through the wall of a building downtown. The later GM Classics never seemed to know which gear it was suppose to be in, at certain speeds they would continually shift up and down and lurch about.

Whatever stuff they are running now seems to be much louder as they pass by, I hate getting stuck beside one when the driver hits the throttle, it’s enough to blow out your ear drums if you have the windows down.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

Didn't they also have a small issue with fires as well? I vaguely remember a series of bus fires in the last few years. The older "new look" (fishbowl) buses seemed very strong, one destroyed the bridge on Richmond Street, and I recall another blowing through the wall of a building downtown. The later GM Classics never seemed to know which gear it was suppose to be in, at certain speeds they would continually shift up and down and lurch about.

Whatever stuff they are running now seems to be much louder as they pass by, I hate getting stuck beside one when the driver hits the throttle, it’s enough to blow out your ear drums if you have the windows down.

That's what the point of a bus is... Make you jealous... you should be riding the GM Newlooks all the time, they really did have versatility as the key deciding factor in their designs... The new flyer's while they look nice, are complete crap. I want to see a SOLID, like Sumo Wrestler bus that isn't packed full of indigents and ne-r-do-wells in Hamilton THEN and ONLY THEN will I see the work of my tax dollars becoming a positive investment.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I remember when the TTC was testing the classic,no corporate colours, inside or out, really nice seats. Something tells me that Bus was really designed for intercity driving, not the rigour of city driving.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to zacron

Premium Member

to zacron
Do the New Flyers have "HUMPS" around the wheels and other odd places with less overall seating? If so I have seen the inside of one, they kind of look like some sort of bluish and grayish plastic play center for kids full of bars and rails and inclines. Everything is shapeless, cheap and plastic like a port-a-potty and the excessive rails, bars and posts almost imply that this bus was designed to do a series of barrel rolls during a collision (or before).

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

1 edit

corster

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

Do the New Flyers have "HUMPS" around the wheels and other odd places with less overall seating? If so I have seen the inside of one, they kind of look like some sort of bluish and grayish plastic play center for kids full of bars and rails and inclines. Everything is shapeless, cheap and plastic like a port-a-potty and the excessive rails, bars and posts almost imply that this bus was designed to do a series of barrel rolls during a collision (or before).

Pretty much every low-floor bus fits your description. Very likely that it was a New Flyer though, the New Flyer D40LF is probably the most common low floor bus on the road in Ontario (outside of Toronto and Ottawa, anyways)

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Wow, that looks crowded. I prefer the Montreal buses a lot more.