join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
Reviews:
·VOIPO

time for new LED screen?

Click for full size
mangled screen
This is what I get on a client's screen. Advice?

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

You can try reseating the signal cable where it connects through the hinge to the mainboard, sometimes it gets janky there, but if no change it's a replacement yes.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to PCInTech

Before I went out and replaced it, I would try it on another computer with a different video cable. Also, if the monitor has multiple video inputs, try the other one.

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
Massena, NY

outboard VGA output works fine

bbear2
Premium

said by PCInTech:

Then it's not your monitor. Did you change a driver for your video card? Something else change? Try a driver update.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

bbear2 See Profile, it is quite clearly not a software issue.

bbear2
Premium

If it works fine with the onboard video card and not with the external video card then yes it could be the ext vid HW or driver. It could also still be the connector on the ext. video board.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to PCInTech

That system looks like a laptop. That's very, very important because so far the thread seems to imply it's a desktop system. There's a pretty substantial difference between the two in this specific case.

Likely causes as I see them:

1. The physical signal cable between the motherboard and the LCD screen as sbconslt See Profile says -- and honestly this usually is the crux of the problem when it comes to laptops so my money would be on this. I've seen this happen on 2 different models of laptops I've had to (grudgingly) repair.

2. Graphics driver problem. This is just as likely as #1. Format the system (do not "roll back" -- do a full OS install) and see if it goes away.

If the problem is not evident while in the system/PC BIOS, then that may indicate the screen and connector (described in #1) might be okay. I say MIGHT because the PC BIOS does not use the same graphics capability as the driver in Windows. I don't even want to get into explaining the difference -- they're immense.

3. The graphics card (chip) which drives the onboard video portion. Yes, it's the same chip that drives the VGA output port, but possibly something is fried/wonky within the chip that only affects the native display vs. the VGA output (e.g. some traces are busted, internal transistor/circuitry is wonky)

#1 still has my vote, as I said.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

Yes, it's a laptop, Dell 17" LED screen. Was told one of the users was in a habit of slamming down the lid. No breaks are obvious on the panel, and I've reseated the ribbon cable. The location of the two "bars" corresponds with the location of the input cable and camera cable directly behind the bars.

Signal from the VGA port to an external monitor is fine. Only onboard display seems to be affected, I really don't suspect a software (driver) issue. Yes, it does the same thing pre-Windows (as in BIOS setup) so it's pretty safe to say it's a hardware issue. What I wonder, is could this possibly be an issue with the panel itself? That's an easy enough swap, but I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the whole video cable. Arrrgh.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

Yep, that sounds like a physical or electronic/electrical problem then, especially if the problem is evident while outside of Windows.

Sure, it could be the panel itself -- meaning the physical connector where the cable connects. It could just as likely be the cable (somewhere in it a broken wire or equivalent). One thing's for sure, it's not the power inverter.

It'd be a lot easier to just make it Dell's problem.

Think of it this way: if you go out and buy a replacement panel (say, from eBay), deal with the pain that is replacing an LCD panel (if you go this route you will probably soon find out what I mean ), but find that the problem still happens, you can't return the panel to the seller, so effectively you have an LCD screen that's sitting around doing nothing and have wasted money + time, effectively.

I don't know if vendors sell just the cables either.

The above is what I went through myself trying to repair some model of Inspiron laptop a few years ago. All my efforts were in vain as well -- it turned out that the actual graphics chip was on its way out, and completely fried (in some manner) about 15 minutes after I replaced the LCD panel.

Because it cost me only $75 less to get the laptop repaired by Dell than it did to just get a new one (newer model), I opted for the latter and sucked up the financial loss, and opted never to deal with this kind of crap again. Laptops are just a complete utter nightmare compared to desktops.

The location of the two "bars" corresponds with the location of the input cable and camera cable directly behind the bars.

I'm fairly certain has zero relevancy to the problem at hand. It's just chance.
--

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

Thanks for your comments, koitsu. IF I press on the panel in the vicinity of the connector, or above it where the white bar is, the screen will change color. While not "broken", there is a nasty scratch right in the area of the bars, on the front side of the panel, indicating "blunt force trauma". I love it when clients don't tell you the whole story. The client wants to repair it, and isn't concerned about the cost. Replacing the panel is no sweat, I've done hundreds of 'em, and this one is a piece of cake. I'm going to order one and give it a shot. IF it's the data cable, yes, they're available, but installation will be a major PAIN, I'll just jack the bill up. Thanks for all your help, as usual!

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

1 recommendation

No problem. I would love to see a video of how actual laptop repair techs do LCD panel replacement + repair, because for me it was a bloody nightmare. I imagine to some degree it depends on the laptop/model being worked on and so on but still, it's painstaking for me.

Good luck, and be sure to post a follow-up when you figure out what the root cause was!
--

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

I found a video of replacement on this model, and it was easier than it looked, actually. Some models and makes, I've pulled hair out and drank heavily. Easiest: Dell, Asus, Toshiba. Bizarre to Ridiculous: Compaq/HP, Acer, Gateway/EMachine, in my opinion. LOL Will let you know! Panel is on the way to me as I type.

bbear2
Premium

2 recommendations

reply to PCInTech

said by PCInTech:

Sorry, when you said 'outboard', I assumed it was a desktop with integrated graphics vs. an external video card - hence two separate video controllers. Now I see it was the laptop monitor vs. the external monitor; and it's the internal laptop screen that is messed. With one controller, then obviously not a driver issue.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 recommendation

reply to PCInTech

said by PCInTech:

Thanks for your comments, koitsu. IF I press on the panel in the vicinity of the connector, or above it where the white bar is, the screen will change color. While not "broken", there is a nasty scratch right in the area of the bars, on the front side of the panel, indicating "blunt force trauma". I love it when clients don't tell you the whole story. The client wants to repair it, and isn't concerned about the cost. Replacing the panel is no sweat, I've done hundreds of 'em, and this one is a piece of cake. I'm going to order one and give it a shot. IF it's the data cable, yes, they're available, but installation will be a major PAIN, I'll just jack the bill up. Thanks for all your help, as usual!

I had that problem with my 2408WFP,those nasty bars would show up on right side of the screen, the only way to get rid of them was to bang the monitor.

Dell RMA'ed it, in fact they RMA'd 5 2408's before I got the one I'm currently working on. They kept sending me refurbs that weren't refurbed properly. Had to get the local newspapers consumer advocate involved, they finally sent me a brand new one, news revision too.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

reply to koitsu

Just thought I'd let you all know, got the new screen, installed and she's like a brand new machine!