Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

geercom
Premium
join:2012-03-27
Ashtabula, OH

Confirming my town has working 4G from Verizon

How do I know for sure when Verizon's 4G will really be up and running and saturating my home town? They advertise it as available now, but someone said they haven't even started work on the new 4G Verizon tower in our area yet.

How do I know for sure when it is available and saturating my town apart from what Verizon advertises or tells me before I go out and buy a device and plan?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

Verizon offers a 14 day trial period without commitment. Get a device and give it a try.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to geercom

said by geercom:

but someone said they haven't even started work on the new 4G Verizon tower in our area yet.

If you know which bay of antennas is Verizon (85% of the time they lease the top of any tower) and that bay has antennas all the way across to the next bay, and not just at every corner of the tower, then it is 4g.
But that doesn't meant its switched on. Once the 4g antenna array is assembled, it can take at worst, up to a year and at min. (on average)half a year to get the rest of the work done.

They also normally use existing towers, and not have new ones erected for 4g. That is unless they are still building your city with cell service all together.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to geercom

Go to a VZW store and try a 4G phone. See if "4G" shows up in the status bar.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to Jim_in_VA

said by Jim_in_VA:

Verizon offers a 14 day trial period without commitment. Get a device and give it a try.

Keep in mind the restocking fee if you return it though

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to geercom

4G just went live in Allendale NJ this morning per a family member's 4G thunderbolt. Can't wait for the new iPhone with 4G!!

vonage

join:2003-11-29
Parlin, NJ
reply to geercom

Finally got the S3 thoe I loved the blazing download speeds of the Thunderbolt it sucked battery like a crack whore! Now I have the s3 but I am hearing AT&T's LTE network is faster ? Any truth to that? Not planning to switch for now since I still have the unlimited data plan.
--
"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Yeah at&t is currently faster, at&t launched one year after verizon (meaning much less 4g items on the market) and at&t only plans to update areas with hsdpa... meaning cities and busy areas only.

I bet in the end verizon is faster.