join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

[ML] Can't install Java?

After doing a clean ML install on my iMac I'm trying to reinstall Maple 16 which requires Java. I went to the Java PP to install it and ML opens the SU window "finding software" but just hangs awhile until saying that the software can't be found.

Is Java 2012-004 the same runtime as it is available as a direct download from Apple's support pages?

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Sounds right. Odd that you had trouble installing Java. When I installed CrashPlan on my server OS X took care of downloading and installing Java w/o any problems.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Cool, downloaded and installed fine.

iMac is going from bad to worse with ML...it's a basket case. Starting a new thread about a new problem.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to skeechan

Yes.

10.8 deletes Java and you need to go dig for it on the internet. Since day 1

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Dig for it on the Internet? It downloaded java for me in about 30 seconds, on day 1.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Mike

While not installed by default, ML, like Lion, will automatically download Java on first use or if you open the Java applet which is still installed by default (in the utils folder) in ML. Mine hung doing the automatic download.

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH
reply to skeechan

As an FYI, as of Java 7.0 (SDK 1.7) Oracle now produces a MacOSX installer for java. Works quite well for me.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

10.8 deletes Java and you need to go dig for it on the internet. Since day 1

Monday night I used MacPorts to compile (from Terminal command-line) some open-source projects and one compile needed Java (for configure I suppose), and a dialog box appeared on the screen and offered to download and install. I accepted and once installed the compile continued. Working great here.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to GILXA1226

I thought it was still in beta.

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH

said by skeechan:

I thought it was still in beta.

Nope, it's General Availability now.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

It's out of beta for everything BUT OS X. I just checked and OS X's version is still a "dev preview". The Java DL page still tells you to get it from Apple.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to Mike

I don't think so. There was a little missing plugin icon which when clicked on downloaded the java installer. Run that, and piece of cake.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

While not installed by default, ML, like Lion, will automatically download Java on first use or if you open the Java applet which is still installed by default (in the utils folder) in ML. Mine hung doing the automatic download.

Even with Lion, when I open the Java Applet on 2 different Macs with clean installs, they always hang. I guess the same thing happens in ML.
--
Obama in 2012 - There's No Tea Left In The Bag.

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

No problems with auto install on 3 Lions and 2 ML.

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

It's out of beta for everything BUT OS X. I just checked and OS X's version is still a "dev preview". The Java DL page still tells you to get it from Apple.

There is my disconnect, I never just dl the jre, I always get the JDK and it has no such message.
--