share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

[CDV] Caller ID on TVs not working

Everyone,

I've made a few comments in different threads about my caller ID not working on any of the TV's in my house, so I figured it was time to post a thread to try to figure out what is wrong.

Prior to May 18th of this year I had both Comcast Internet (Performance package) and Cable TV (I forget exactly which level but I know its not the lowest one). I also had AT&T as my home phone service (pots line). I have 3 TV's in the house, and all three of them have their own Cable box connected to them.

On May 18th, I went down to my local Comcast office, and added Comcast Digital Phone. They gave me a eMTA modem, started the process to port my existing phone # over, and I left.

A few days later (I think it was 4 business days) my number was ported over from AT&T without any issues, and things were great. Outside of a battery with my original eMTA modem, everything worked: Except Caller ID on the TV's.

It is now coming up on 3 months later, and Caller ID still does not work. In the threads that I have read on here, I've heard everything from "It should just start working", "It needs 24-48 hours after you sign up", "You have to call them to get it working", etc.

So, my question is: Do I have to do anything to get it working? Is there an issue with any of my cable boxes, or the TV's in my house? Do I not have something configured properly on the TV's?

If more information is needed, I will be happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance,

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

Did you go into the "Interactive TV" menu choice on your cable boxes to set up Caller ID?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Nope I have not done that (did not know I was suppose to). Comcast did not say anything to me when I signed up for CDV that I needed to change anything on my end.

I'll go check that now on one of the cable boxes, and see if that does anything.

Thanks,

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Instead of editing my last post, I wanted to add another one.

So, I pressed the "menu" button on my cable remote, and that brought up the menu with all kinds of options. One of them, as you indicated was "Interactive TV".

I selected that, and got a new screen. The below options and selections as I list them below was how it was setup (I did not have to change anything)

Caller ID is ----> ON
Snooze Duration is ----> 1 hour
Location is ----> Bottom of screen

Since everything was set, I did not have to modify anything. I then pressed the exit button a few times to close out the menu.

I then used my cell phone to call my house. While the phones in the house rang, and caller id works on the phones themselves, still nothing on the TV.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to plencnerb

What boxes do you have on your tv's? some do not have enough RAm to run the application.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to plencnerb

I have had this happen on Time warner (our current provider). It turned out the codes to make it work weren't on our account and was removed for some odd reason.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to flwpwr

said by flwpwr :

What boxes do you have on your tv's? some do not have enough RAm to run the application.

I looked at the one Cable Box in my living room (the one I did the test on before with the menus), and here is what I found out.

The name on the front says "Motorola".

On the bottom, it says
F/G No: 488494-004-00

Set Top Box
Model # DCT6200/2005

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Floppy

join:2002-07-03

The DCT6200 is 9-10 years old. I suggest swapping the box.

flwpwr

@comcast.net

dct6200 should have enough free ram to run it, its the 1800/2000's [black SD with clock] that cannot do it. However times change and it could be an issue with it who knows for sure.

If you can just walk into a start and swap the box, doing so will probably force a refresh of the UCID info and get it working again in about 24 hours.

If you cannot you can try calling in and asking the CSR to refresh it, but they will probably have no idea how to and have to put a ticket in to get it working so 48 hours or so after that.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Well, I do have 2 other cable boxes in the house. I did not look at them to see what make/model they are. I'll do that tomorrow and report back.

I also have to verify the settings on the others like I did on this one tonight. I'll do that tomorrow to, and report back with what I find out.

As far as the age goes, I know that we are renting all three from Comcast. I would think that if the age was an issue, when I added CDV, the person in the local office would have said something like "Hey..I see on your account you have a cable box that is over 8 years old..in order for caller id to work on that tv, you have to swap the box out". However, nothing like that was done. That of course could be because the person in the local office did not check either. However, if there is a known issue with older boxes, I would think they would have checked that. I bring this up as they were quick to give me a new cable modem (an eMTA instead of the standard one) as I would need that for voice to work. So, they had to be looking at my account to know I did not already have an eMTA in the house. Why would they not verify the rented cable boxes at the same time, and bring any issues (like the age of them) to my attention as well?

--Brian

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

We know more about the boxes than the reps in the Comcast offices know. They'd have no idea about whether or not the box could handle CID.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

said by owlyn:

We know more about the boxes than the reps in the Comcast offices know. They'd have no idea about whether or not the box could handle CID.

I agree that appears to be the case. However, I don't like that as an answer.

If you work for a company in Customer service (as these people at the local office somewhat do), then they should be educated at least on a basic level of the equipment requirements for their service.

Again, this goes back to the fact that they pulled up my account, saw I did not have an eMTA cable modem, and gave me one to swap out with the one that I had. Why did they do this? Well, my current modem that I was renting was not an eMTA, and of course does not support Digital Phone (there are no plugs on the back for it). In order for me to use the service I was adding, a swap of my cable modem was needed. Just think of the backlash of issues that could happen if one did not have an eMTA, went to their local office, added CDV, and came home only to discover that their modem was the wrong one, and did not support it.

Since I was adding CDV, and since one of the "features" of CDV is called ID on your TV, which (from what it sounds like) is dependent on what kind of Cable Box one has, I would think the customer service person at the local office would check that too. It would be different if I was not renting them from Comcast. But, since I was, they do have all three of them listed on my account, and I would bet that it lists more info then just "Renting Cable Box". It probably has all kinds of info (Model #, Serial #, Brand Name, Mac Address, etc)

Bottom line is this: If I have spent 3 months trying to figure out why this does not work, and it turns out that my cable box is to old, and a quick check by the comcast rep in the local office could have fixed this before it was even an issue when I went in to sign up for service...I'm not going to be really happy. Not much I can do about it now, but its just the principle of it.

Ok...rant over.

I did verify that the other two cable boxes in my house are the same as the one in the living room (same brand name, same F/G Number, and Same Model #). They also have the same options set from inside the "Interactive TV" menu (already setup to have Caller ID turned on). Yet, the feature does not work on any of them.

Before I go down to my local office and swap out the cable boxes, I just wanted to confirm that was the issue. I would hate to go through all that trouble, only to come back home and it still does not work.

Thanks,

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

flwpwr

@comcast.net

Brian its a possibility that swapping the box will not work, that box is not a known ram issue box, I have no idea why some nontech is mentioning old and frankly I do not care. All the EQ you get is old to be honest, its what happens in a n industry focused on corporate earnings like ours is. Yes customers would be happier with new boxes but we can;t let go of that cost to replace. End of the story. Do they work with the service as far as I know they do, swapping them may still fix the issue once you get a new box on your account a new connection is made to the UCID service and that may restart it, or you may have an issue with your OOB/return and the problem may continue, no telling. The fist thing I would do is call in and say the UCID is not working and can they refresh the UCID info and process the issue.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb

Back when I had Comcast's phone service this used to break periodically. I have an iPad and when the Caller ID broke, the iPad app could also no longer control my cable box.

It turns out sometimes the back channel that Comcast uses to communicate with the box fails. I was told that unplugging the box and plugging back in will normally get it working (it can take about a day to work after powering off the box).

If that doesn't work, you'll need to call in and get it fixed. There's a special support number for "apps", but I forgot what it is.

I'd recommend posting on Comcast's Universal Caller ID forums.

By the way the DCT6200 is compatible. That's what I have. See »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···aller-id
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to flwpwr

said by flwpwr :

Brian its a possibility that swapping the box will not work, that box is not a known ram issue box, I have no idea why some nontech is mentioning old and frankly I do not care.

See, that is my worry to, which is why I don't want to disconnect all three boxes (or even just one), drive out there, swap the box, drive home, re-connect everything, and it still not work.

said by flwpwr :

The fist thing I would do is call in and say the UCID is not working and can they refresh the UCID info and process the issue.

Is this refresh something I can do at my end (like unplug the cable box for say 30 minutes and then plug it back in), or is it like the cable modem reset that they can send on their end? I don't mind calling them, but I was just wondering if it was something I could on my end without the phone call.

And if I do call them, I will mention to them that the UCID is not working and ask them to refresh the UCID on their end.

Thanks,

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner