SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

4 edits

Not all IMAX theaters are the same...

Click for full size
IMAX has just popped up at the mall where my office is. I think I would have noticed if IMAX was being added to the theater considering the screen would be 6 stories tall.

Being curious how they got that huge screen to fit, I gave the manager a call to find out the details. Turns out they are using two digital projectors blended to fill a 28ftx58ft screen. It's been dubbed by some as MiniMax and even fake IMAX. As good as it may be, it's not the same.

Glad I called. I'll just drive an hour or so to see the Dark Knight Rises on 70mm film. Real IMAX. While it's still around.

76ft x 97ft should be worth the drive since almost half the movie was shot on 70mm IMAX film.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
IMAX on anything less than 76 x 97 (aka Lincoln Center) is lame. I'll just go see it in digital / digital 3D then.

By the way -- the Lincoln Square IMAX theater is awesome if you get the right seats so your not craning your neck. Unfortunately its like the only "real" IMAX theater around which is sort of surprising.

I haven't been to the one in Brooklyn or the one north of the Bronx as its just too far / inconvenient to get to.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to SysOp
The first IMAX film I saw was "The Dream Is Alive" at the LA Science Museum.
Totally blew me away.......
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
moving soon
I've really only seen IMax at Ontario Place on the Toronto waterfront. Seen quite a few free short films there. The only full movie I saw there was Cliff Hanger.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to SysOp
I went to the Imax here in portchester and I was disappointed.. from the outside I had my doubts about it being a "fake" IMAX..

I'm not sure of any real IMAX screens around the Tri-sate area?

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to SysOp
I believe we are getting an Mini-Max in our town soon. They are building a huge multiplex with an Imax but from the size of the building it's not going to be six stories tall.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
said by b10010011:

I believe we are getting an Mini-Max in our town soon. They are building a huge multiplex with an Imax but from the size of the building it's not going to be six stories tall.

Yep same I came to think about it.. let me see if it's on google streets..

»maps.google.com/maps?q=movie&ll=···997,,0,0

yeah I was like no way is this a full size screen and it's not.. it looks pretty much like your normal screen
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to SysOp
the Mini-Max are liked because they are still much bigger than a normal screen and can be projected digitally.

I think the true full IMAX still use that massive 70mm film.

That said I would love to see an eyegasm movie in IMAX 3D on the proper screen. Something like Avatar would likely be pretty awesome.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
moving soon
Or the last mission impossible!