uniqs

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to Anonymous88

Premium Member

to Anonymous88

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

Are you serious??

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

No jokes here. I'm sure this is done to improve your internet experience.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

I'll be frank, while I hate caps in general, I'd always rather have a clearly-stated cap rather than the arbitrary "It might be 250 gigs, if we decide to let you know" stuff that we've currently been living under. $10 for 50 gigs is also way more generous than what cell providers are trying to gouge customers for. And I'd rather have an option to go over than be paranoid that I'm going to possibly get kicked off my ISP for repeatedly going over.

The best analogy I can think of is a curfew, as a teenager. Would you rather your parents gave you a time that you always had to be home by, or would they rather they just sort of made it arbitrary and never clearly spelled it out for you, or, if they did have a set time and only randomly punished you for breaking it depending on the circumstances? I'd rather be given a set time and then deal with it than be yanked around.
jpatton
join:2010-04-07
Madison, WI

jpatton to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

I'm sure this is done to improve your internet experience.

Reminds me of this commercial

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Effective August 1st, new Mediacom Internet customers, and existing customers who choose to move to one of Mediacom’s new service plans, will have monthly usage allowances that vary depending on the level of service they choose. Monthly allowances range from 150 GB per month for our Mediacom Launch service to 999 GB per month for our Mediacom Ultra and Ultra Plus plans. If needed, additional bandwidth can be purchased for any service plan in 50GB blocks at $10 per block.

Our average Internet subscriber currently uses only 31 GB of data per month, so we don’t expect these allowances to have much impact on our customer base.

IowaMan
Premium Member
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

When will the Mediacom Meter go live?
Time to put a bandwidth meter on the ole router and do some comparison
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Our average Internet subscriber currently uses only 31 GB of data per month, so we don’t expect these allowances to have much impact on our customer base.

Where can I view my usage?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

We have released a meter for internal use, the public facing usage meter should be released soon.
bluedyedvd
join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

bluedyedvd to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Effective August 1st, new Mediacom Internet customers, and existing customers who choose to move to one of Mediacom’s new service plans, will have monthly usage allowances that vary depending on the level of service they choose. Monthly allowances range from 150 GB per month for our Mediacom Launch service to 999 GB per month for our Mediacom Ultra and Ultra Plus plans. If needed, additional bandwidth can be purchased for any service plan in 50GB blocks at $10 per block.

if so few customers will be effected why do it? this just money grab plain and simple. $ 10.00 for 50 gb how much does mediacom pay for the same 50 gb a penny if that

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
will mediacom let people out of contracts early with no ETF over this only seems fair

also yes fuck if where paying for overages till there is a meter thats approved by MO Weights and Measures

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to bluedyedvd

Premium Member

to bluedyedvd
We’ve implemented the usage allowances to ensure we can deliver on our promise of Always Faster Internet. In reality, only 2% of our users exceed our usage allowances. This 2% can use over 19 times what the average household would use, and this can dramatically impact the service you experience in your home. It could cause us to raise our rates for everyone, just to accommodate the excessive use of a few.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

the one thing i hate about this is the meters are not monitored by states dept of Weights and Measures
if your going it meter the meter should be inspected yearly
time to ad block EVERY THING
also do the meters know to filter ARP traffic?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

1 edit

MediacomChad to elios

Premium Member

to elios
This will only take effect for new customers or customer who make account changes after August 1st. If you already were in a contract the data allowances do not apply to you. As this will not affect customers making a change before Aug 1, there will be no need for an ETF to be waived for this.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

at lest thats not to bad

the cap on Ultra seems fair but the 20mbit seems low compared any way

also if we renew our contract do we keep our grandfathered rates? ie no overage fees?

halsneb
Premium Member
join:2005-10-14
Osage, IA

halsneb to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
So, if your "excessive users" are the ones who are causing a problem by using 19 times the average of 31gb per month, which by the way comes out to 589gb per month, why not just force those user to move to a package instead of punishing all users? So glad I jumped ship.

Also your always faster claim is not accurate you are not always the fastest player in town, in fact you can't even really compete in an area that has any real competition.

fritolay
@centurytel.net

fritolay to MediacomChad

Anon

to MediacomChad
Will there be caps on business accounts?

Also, the current subscriber agreement still has the old 250gb cap listed.

IowaMan
Premium Member
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
Chad, How long is this going to go on before "current" customers are made to go into this??
(Think AT&T with the Original iPhone plans which were unlimited then capped per month for first new accounts and THEN went to EVERYONE??

If something happens with speeds (or is THIS what you couldn't talk about til now)??? What is the point of having faster speeds if they should come down the road? So we can burn through our cap faster?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Currently we have no plan to add this to current customers. Speeds and data allowances increase with different data tiers. Even with higher download speeds, we are not seeing many go over this allowance as we have watched it. This allows us to increase speeds to better serve customers needs.

This affected residential customers who make internet changes on or after August 1. if you have questions specific to your business service account, please contact your account executive.

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1

So what happens when someone wants the 999GB capped plan but live in an area that Mediacom doesn't provide 50mb+ service?
Will Mediacom be doubling its efforts to bring those speeds to everyone?
Will Mediacom provide 999GB to those stuck at the lower speeds if the customer wants a higher cap?
kwbelt1

kwbelt1 to IowaMan

to IowaMan
From "Chris" in the Mediacom support forums.

"The new data allowances only apply to accounts that were created or changed after August 1st, 2012. Currently we are not changing accounts that were set up before then onto the new data allowances. This means you will maintain the 250GB threshold that existed beforehand."

elios
Springfield, MO

elios to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
so any chance of bumping all the old max people in the Ultra tier then at there current prices?
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to kwbelt1

to kwbelt1
said by kwbelt1:

From "Chris" in the Mediacom support forums.

"The new data allowances only apply to accounts that were created or changed after August 1st, 2012. Currently we are not changing accounts that were set up before then onto the new data allowances. This means you will maintain the 250GB threshold that existed beforehand."

And since there was no overage charge to go along with the pre Aug. 1 250GB cap then there still won't be overage charges going forward?

Chad, care to comment?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to kwbelt1

Premium Member

to kwbelt1
Currently we are working to expand out 50/5 service to new areas which will also allow us to expand the allowances out as well. The data allowances are based upon speed, and if the speed isn't available then the data allowances will not be available either. We are offering the ability to purchase additional data (50GB for $10) that will allow users to consume more data if they need to.
MediacomChad

MediacomChad to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
Chris was correct, any services added or changed before Aug 1, 2012 are not subject to usage fees at this time.

MediaCON
@mchsi.com

MediaCON

Anon

Another crap move by mediacon. Let's not tell anybody about what we're going to do until somebody on the forums outs us.

How about this. Mediacon should have given everybody at LEAST 2 weeks notice that these changes were going to happen, to give them the ability to change service, switch, cancel, whatever they wanted to do.

I stated before the buy-out that rosco owning this business outright was going to be a disaster.... just further proof.

Absolute shame that there isn't any decent competition in most areas mediacon is at... if there was, they'd be out of business within the year... and good riddance.

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1

I'm happy I signed a contract earlier this month. But just checking with Frontier they'll start offering bonded DSL to my neighborhood with 12/768 for $50 and upto 25/2 for $60. Supposedly without a cap.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

We’ve implemented the usage allowances to ensure we can deliver on our promise of Always Faster Internet. In reality, only 2% of our users exceed our usage allowances. This 2% can use over 19 times what the average household would use, and this can dramatically impact the service you experience in your home. It could cause us to raise our rates for everyone, just to accommodate the excessive use of a few.

Baloney. It is a money grab Chad.

Since in your own words the majority of customers use only 31mb a month, I would guess the majority of customers are getting screwed. Since you will charge $10 for 50mb over 250mb a month does Mediacom plan on discounting bills for all those average customers that only use 31mb a month? Seems only fair NO? Why would this not be fair for the majority of customers who do not abuse/over use your system? Penalize the abusers- YES, but give discounts to all those customers who do not use even close to 250mb a month.

Of course we all know being fair to customers is not something cable/internet companies are likely to do.

Actions like this are why consumers dislike/hate cable/internet companies.

Lazy Senior
pacmanfan
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Mansfield, MO

pacmanfan to MediaCON

Premium Member

to MediaCON
said by MediaCON :

Mediacon should have given everybody at LEAST 2 weeks notice that these changes were going to happen, to give them the ability to change service, switch, cancel, whatever they wanted to do.

Why? It has been repeatedly stated this doesn't affect existing customers under a contract, until they change their service level voluntarily.
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

DoctorX

or does it... it sounds like us with ultra50 have a 250G cap... if that is the case... that is wrong.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to pacmanfan

Premium Member

to pacmanfan
said by pacmanfan:

said by MediaCON :

Mediacon should have given everybody at LEAST 2 weeks notice that these changes were going to happen, to give them the ability to change service, switch, cancel, whatever they wanted to do.

Why? It has been repeatedly stated this doesn't affect existing customers under a contract, until they change their service level voluntarily.

Because people who were on the 3mbit service before the cap was announced will still be on the arbitrary 250 gig cap, while people who subscribe to 3mbit from now on will be on a cap that's 100gb lower. Informed change is always nice, whether it necessarily impacts someone directly or not. I'm sure there are some people out there who would have been impacted by that. I'd be really mad, for instance, if I'd downgraded to 3mbit or was a new subscriber, and would have made a different decision if I'd known this change was coming. And believe me, I could tear through more than 150 gigs back when I was on 1.5 mbit DSL, so it's not an impossibility.