spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

user1466

@shawcable.net

Shaw Broadband 100 in Calgary

The website states that Broadband 100 should have upload speeds of 10mbps.

Am I the only one in the southeast capped at 5mbps? I talked to support the other day and they stated not all areas have been upgraded.

Feel like I am getting ripped off as broadband 50 has the same upload speed...

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14
Website says 50/3, 100/5 for me.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
I see the same as scubascythan:
10/0.5
20/0.5
50/3
100/5

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to user1466
Click for full size
Here's what I see in Winnipeg

Nerdy

join:2012-07-20
reply to user1466
Says the same thing for me in Surrey, BC. Shows 10 upload for Broadband 100 put I only get 5. They don't have any estimations when my area will be upgraded either.

user1377

@shawcable.net
reply to user1466
For Calgary:

Up to 100 Mbps download speed
Up to 10 Mbps upload speed
10 email addresses
2 dynamic IP addresses
Shaw Exo WiFi trial

Shaw Webmail
Shaw Photo Share
Shaw Video Mail
Shaw Webspace

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to scubascythan
When selecting Calgary as location,

I see 100/10 on the website,

But if you feel you are being ripped off because your upload is set at 5mbps, downgrade to BB50, it is $70 instead of $80 for BB100

Save the $10/month until your area has been upgraded, I am sure there will be some sort of thread about it here when it happens, then upgrade back to BB100
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

user1466

@shawcable.net
I talked to tech support today and they said southeast Calgary is currently scheduled to be upgraded but gave no eta.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
I hope my account gets upgraded with this, but I doubt it at the moment, but I can hope

Not very often are the business accounts slower than the equilivant residental accounts.

You are also aware, it has been scheduled for upgrading for over a year now?
--

Heavydigits

@telus.com
Stomach this- calgarys advertised upload of 5 has now changed to 3 upload. I've been on the phone with shaw all day, their 50/5 in Calgary is now 50/3.

Did anybody notice this upload bandwidth change?

Did anybody notice their bills decrease? I sure didn't.

Please I'm curious if this is city wide.

I have been getting 5 upload for a year, had some bridging issues an now shaw says 5 upload was never available despite my using it at 5 and other stating their not getting 10 only 5.

I used to have bb100 but changed to bb50 due to 5upload max. Now I'm at 3 upload and shaw says that's always how it's been and the website for Calgary is wrong?? Im on hold with support as I type.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to user1466
Shaw's residential 50Mb plan has features 3Mb upload at all locations, I believe. The 50Mb on Biz has been 5Mb, though.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Some places it was/is 5, but minimum 3.

Heavydigits

@telus.com
I finally spoke with 'the right person' in tech support who actually acknowledged the 5mb upload exists.

In Calgary - I'm sure some areas excluded - it should be 5 upload. I am currently getting ~2.78 consistently on speedtest.shaw.ca.

Tech support noted my wave provisioning file was coded for 3up however they manually provisioned for 5, and modem tools show that it is provisioned for 5, but like the wave file I'm still only getting 2.78(3).

They suggested to test during off peak hours, and they will call back tomorrow early afternoon.

What is everyone else seeing with bb100 and bb50 for their uploads??

It seems they are flashing in 3mb caps in Calgary now. Maybe to deal with load balancing on temporary backbones during repairs at shaw court?? Simply speculation.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
I'm not sure they can set speed-profiles manually?

Unless something major has changed recently, speed profiles are created by the billing codes, which are then sent to the TFTP server for the modems to download. Only thing would be to delete the modem profile and re-create it, or change plan and change back?

Again, unless something major has changed, that just doesn't quite make sence.
--

Heavydigits

@telus.com
Thats what I would have thought, but from what I understood they were able to change it somehow.

Anybody tested their bb50/100/250 uploads? (in the 5mb areas?)

user1466

@shawcable.net
reply to Heavydigits
11:19 pm test to calgary: 70 ms ethernet ping - 23.82 download 4.11 upload
11:20 pm test to brooks: 35 ms ethernet ping - 37.79 download 4.52 upload

Tell me this isn't false advertising?

Heavydigits

@telus.com
Looks decent to me. I'm happy to see that upload.

TAKN

join:2003-09-21
Calgary, AB
reply to user1466
I'm in Calgary (SW) and recently signed up for BB50 (advertised as 50 down, 5 up on the Calgary Shaw website). I typically average around 45-47 down, and 2.6 up. So I suspected that I was capped at 3 mbps upload speed too.

I jumped on the Shaw online support chat and explained my issue. The rep confirmed that my modem "is setup for 3 mbps". He then came with the response: "It looks like we are waiting for the Digital Network Upgrade to be completed in your area. Once this is completed, this will be bumped up to 5mpbs or possibly more in the future."

While I would appreciate the extra speed as I upload a lot of files to my remote web servers, it's not too big of a deal. It is just somewhat irritating that it is advertised as one thing, then they cap you at a different speed.

Heavydigits

@shawcable.net
I've had 5mb upload for the last year.

We can't get 10 upload due to not being upgraded at the hubsite.

Now I'm receiving 3 only. Tech support says it should be five and are trying to fix it.

Heavyd18t

join:2012-08-12
Oh today we're back to "if I had 5mb upload it was a mistake". So everyone who has 5 right now, make sure shaw doesn't find out their giving you what is advertised. Or you may loose it!!!

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to user1466
I had to switch my brother's modem to bridge mode. This is still a much bigger hassle then it needs to be!

Overall though, after I finally got this accomplished, his speeds were 'updated' to 50/3
--