uniqs
share rss forum feed

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
join:2000-10-08
New York, NY

Question re Prepping Setup for 150/65 Upgrade

Hi gang. I am having my service upgraded to 150/65 this week. My Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D currently sits behind my Airport Extreme (ONT has ethernet enabled). Should I revert to the plain vanilla setup for the installation (i.e., put the Actiontec back in front and take the AE out of the equation)? I don't want the tech to get confused/annoyed, etc.

One problem is that I am having a hard time getting back to my original configuration. For some reason, the Actiontec doesn't want to connect to the internet when I put it back in front. I can get into the settings, just can't hit the internets. Perhaps I have to reboot the ONT?
--
The Monkey

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Yes, the reason you can't get the Actiontec to connect is because it cannot get a DHCP lease from Verizon. Rebooting the ONT could solve that, however you probably shouldn't need to revert back to the old setup. The tech will give you a Rev. I Actiontec as well. Make sure the tech ensures that when the service upgrade is complete, you're still on Ethernet WAN, and haven't been switched to Coax WAN.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

1 recommendation

Rebooting the ONT won't release your DHCP lease.
You need to release the DHCP lease from the router, or call VZ to break the lease.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
New York, NY

Thank you both. Forcing the router to release the DHCP lease is the step I had forgotten about in "going back" to the way the setup was originally. Will try it tonight.
--
The Monkey

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
kudos:2

I have never found any way to release the DHCP lease on any Apple AirPort devices, so you'll likely have to call Verizon to have them do it, if you haven't already.

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
New York, NY

Yup, I had forgotten about that, too. So I called Verizon and bingo. Back to plain vanilla now.
--
The Monkey

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
New York, NY
reply to The Monkey

Install is done. Unfortunately, I couldn't be there so I left detailed instructions with my wife. Tech left without Doug speed tests. I had her run one via wireless and she was getting 11mbs down 7 up. Not good at all. I know I've got to do all the normal trouble shooting steps to diagnose but has anyone heard of getting crap speeds after upgrade? Thanks.
--
The Monkey

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

Check a wired connection to the router first to see what speeds you get.

They finally got my 150/65 up yesterday(along with my other services). Over a wired connection I was getting around 155Mb/s down and 70Mb/s up. Since I have the TV service I thought I would get slightly faster speeds. But I'm really only concerned with the faster upload since whether it's 155Mb/s down on 165Mb/s down is not going to make a difference in my use. But I could certainly use some faster upload speeds than what I'm getting when I upload to my cloud drives. Since I'm maxing out the upload speed right now.

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
New York, NY

Yeah, I will take your advice and try the wired connection. I may also consider using the Airport Extreme to handle wireless duties to see if that makes a difference. Not sure if I'm going to put the Apple Extreme back in front of the Actiontec. At least not until I know everything is working right.

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aaronwt

Germantown Maryland. They refuse to upgrade me to GPON. We do not qualify. ~$8500 in the c/o would have to be spent. Can't be done for a single customer. How can they sell to more customers if they can't provide the service? The whole Quantum GPON upgrade is being driven by market, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! The whole initial press release was full of lies and half truth. No one qualifies for a BPON to GPON upgrade unless Verizon wants to spend the money.

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
New York, NY
reply to The Monkey

So I just tried the hardwired connection and am getting reasonably close to full speed (though not actual) via speedtest.net. That's annoying but I can deal for now. Much more annoying is that the best I can get with wireless is 25 down 25 up. Unacceptable. Now I need to try to do some workarounds.
--
The Monkey

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

said by The Monkey:

Much more annoying is that the best I can get with wireless is 25 down 25 up. Unacceptable. Now I need to try to do some workarounds.

Even though the max speed for 802.11N is just 130mb/s (theoretically 300mb/s) in the real world the average is around 50-60mb/s. My laptop is around 20 feet from my wireless-n router and thats what I average when transfering files back and forth.

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
New York, NY

Better now that I have the Airport Extreme handling wireless duties.

--
The Monkey

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by The Monkey:

Better now that I have the Airport Extreme handling wireless duties.

Thats pretty amazing speed for Wireless-N.....My 60mb/s speed is with using the Actiontec F router.

The Monkey
I like bananas
Premium
New York, NY

And here it is wired:

--
The Monkey