Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game

Premium Member

Wi-Fi hotspots banned at the Olympics

Click for full size
Something you won't see on TV, this is the Olympics Wi-Fi Police. They seek unauthorized wifi signals & shut them down.
»twitter.com/SadaoTurner/ ··· 58566401

Wi-Fi hotspots banned at the Olympics
Posted: 25 Jul 2012, 22:26, by Charlene

While we are used to a laundry list of banned items at major sporting events, this year the Olympics is forbidding something new. In addition to the usual suspects – drugs, booze, and weapons, Wi-Fi hotspots are now on the no no list.

Attendees at the summer games in London will not be permitted to setup personal Wi-Fi or 3G hotspots to access the Internet. Since smartphone are allowed, however, there is little stopping you from operating some sort of Wi-Fi tethering speakeasy, unless they plan on sending the Internet police around with Wi-Fi finders, which seems unlikely.

While it’s not immediately clear why Wi-Fi hotspots ended up as contraband, they did join other odd banned items such as large golf style umbrellas, oversized hats, and excessive amounts of food. Clearly the games aren’t being held here in the states this year. The IOC also noted that both fans and athletes can use various social media outlets, such as Twitter, Facebook, and blogs, but only if they are written in a “first person diary type format.”

»www.phonearena.com/news/ ··· _id32662

WiFi could pose threat during Vancouver. Olympics: police expert. A Vancouver Police computer crime investigator has warned the city that plans for a citywide

»www.vanintel.com/Media/T ··· eat2.pdf

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has declared a ban on Wi-Fi hotspots at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Because money. Or terrorism. Or something.

Leave it at home.
(Credit: Wi-Fi Alliance)
London looked pretty good after announcing a major Wi-Fi roll-out to serve visitors and locals around major city locations. But London itself can only control so much, and the IOC seems to be making a habit of erring on the side of draconian when it comes to letting ticket holders actually enjoy the Games.

Now it has been found that Wi-Fi hotspots sit right alongside drugs, toxins, pets and bikes as a banned item from Games venues.

Perhaps it's to make sure that no one does any of that photo or video sharing from the crowd, which is also banned. The spirit of bringing the world closer through the Olympic spirit is alive and well.

If the IOC had a little more tech savvy it might have realised that the data traffic density in major stadiums typically makes wireless data a joke, anyway. Let's hope by Rio 2016 the Olympics accepts that you can only keep a lid on social media for so long.

»www.cnet.com.au/now-the- ··· 0913.htm
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

2 recommendations

OZO

Premium Member

This craze in London's Olympics 2012 is all around copyright. Copyright police banned everything, words (use only "London" and "2012"), signs, etc. And, of course, there should be no media sharing... That's why they try to hunt down all those hot spots. So, spectators could not upload their photos or those brief video streams. One word comes to mind - greed...

Enjoy the money making spirit of the new Olympics, London 2012 (tm).

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

I guess the red tape makes it official

»www2.rohde-schwarz.com/e ··· 745.html
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Okay they can enforce the wifi thing with "RF Cops" but they really cannot tell people how they are allowed to tweet. As long as they twitter over the cell network.

As networks progress I bet sporting venues will knock the cell network down to 1X during events because of the fear of "lost money" over someone even uploading one photo from the event to their facebook.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

As networks progress I bet sporting venues will knock the cell network down to 1X during events because of the fear of "lost money" over someone even uploading one photo from the event to their facebook.

They shouldn't have to bother -- I have yet to attend a major event (sports, concerts) where there was even enough bandwidth to upload photos during the event (in cities such as Seattle, Portland, and Chicago)...

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Click for full size
London Olympic Venues ban mobile WiFi hotspots

With the London Olympics just a few days away punters will be looking to see what items they can and cannot bring into the venues under the new restrictions

The London Olympics 2012 Organising Committee has released the full list of restricted items allowed in the Olympics Venues and among them is the use of WiFi mobile hotspots.

In a pdf issued by the LOOC the leaflet gives a very complete description of what is and isn't allowed saying: “Personal/private wireless access points and 3G hubs (smart devices such as Android phones, iPhone and tablets are permitted inside venues, but must not be used as wireless access points to connect multiple devices).”

Among the other items that have been banned punters will only be allowed to bring in 100ml of liquids surely forcing them to find refreshment once inside the venues.

The banning of mobile hotspots however will surely be difficult to police with most modern smartphone including the Apple iPhone 4S and the Samsung Galaxy S3 sporting the feature.

While some make more sense than others such as the carrying of fake firearms, the more bizarre restrictions include oversized hats, flags and clothing which could in any way advertise a company that isn't one of the official Olympics sponsors.

»www.t3.com/news/london-o ··· hotspots

My kid tethers his new iPad to his iPhone 4s very common I see..

»discussions.apple.com/th ··· tstart=0

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 edit

1 recommendation

EGeezer to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Ah, more restrictions in the name of "terrorism" and "protecting the children".

Also see »www.sfgate.com/sports/ar ··· 2548.php

Surely I'm a curmudgeon for saying it, but I have lost practically all interest in the olympics (lower case intentional). IMO the individual athletes have become pawns of a commercial media "content manufacturer" that has turned it into just another glitzy over-hyped media event with ridiculous restrictions on visitors and spectators. Additionally, there's no way a citizen-athlete can even afford to compete in any major event without major corporate and/or government sponsorship.

Now if they go back to the ancient tradition of athletes competing in the nude, I just might watch women's volleyball.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

Now if they go back to the ancient tradition of athletes competing in the nude, I just might watch women's volleyball.

Womens beach volleyball is close...

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 edit

EGeezer

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

I do get enjoyment at Siesta Beach (Sarasota) watching such games there. Vanderbilt Beach in Naples is also a nice place.

As for security, I don't have to endure olympic security at either beach. I can wear a logo'd T shirt, take water and a cooler, and take a camera with a lens measuring longer than 30cm. And, it's free in Sarasota. In Naples, I need to pay or get a beach parking pass unless someone drops me off.

edit - fixed tag screwup

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

This craze in London's Olympics 2012 is all around copyright. Copyright police banned everything, words (use only "London" and "2012"), signs, etc. And, of course, there should be no media sharing... That's why they try to hunt down all those hot spots. So, spectators could not upload their photos or those brief video streams. One word comes to mind - greed...

And their focus on copyright is all about bringing in added revenue: royalties, concessions, broadcasts, rebroadcasts, trinkets, memorabilia, etc, etc. Anything remotely connected with the Games is potential fodder for income to help offset the incredible costs of putting on and securing the show (a cost which invariably ends up signficantly larger than anticipated at bid). I believe only the 1984 Olympics in L.A. has ever turned an auditable profit.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

You're right...

Olympic games in London is a vivid example of over-commercialization of what should always be a free event. The event, that allows everyone in the world compete with piers and show, who is the best. Keep in mind, that it's not a professional sport, specifically created to make money from it - all participants in Olympic games are not professionals. But the "organizers" are all for making money from them

And they want (and will) to make money on everything. This time they banned T-shirts with brand names, that do not belong to so-called "sponsors" (paying money to Olympic committee)? Next time they will require spectators to wear an outfit, that they (and only they) will sell you... They'd sell you an ear, if they could. And they will copyright it with branding "Air with Olympic Spirit". Do you want a discount? Bring with you your equipment with compressed air, taken from outskirts of the London (with paid to Olympic organizers certificate, proving that). I just wonder, why in London they did not ban all smart phones yet? It'd be easier to enforce the copyright protection laws, if no one had a device with any camera in it. Just add more copyright cops (who cares, all will be paid off later) and strip down all visitors. And if someone wants to make a call - there will be wired paid phones, installed by "sponsors". It's like 100ml limit on liquids, that visitors can bring, which is already close to a complete absurd, if you think about it.

Until people realize what's going on and stop participating in this over-priced commercial enterprise - the show will go on... It seems to be there is no other limit here. No common sense, no actual idea, that was behind it, when the movement was created, nothing. It's all about money now...

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

8 recommendations

jaykaykay to EGeezer

MVM

to EGeezer
[BQUOTE=EGeezer In Naples, I need to pay or get a beach parking pass unless someone drops me off.

edit - fixed tag screwup
[/BQUOTEBut do remember that this when being dropped off!

Several days ago as I left a meeting at a hotel I
desperately gave myself a personal TSA pat down.
I was looking for my keys. They were not in my
pockets.

A quick search in the meeting room revealed nothing.

Suddenly I realized I must have left them in the
car. Frantically, I headed for the parking lot.

My husband has scolded me many times for leaving the
keys in the ignition. My theory is the ignition is the
best place not to lose them.

His theory is that the car will be stolen. As I burst
through the door, I came to a terrifying conclusion.

His theory was right. The parking lot was empty.

I immediately called the police. I gave them my
location, confessed that I had left my keys in the
car, and that it had been stolen. Then I made the
most difficult call of all, "Honey," I stammered;
I always call him "honey" in times like these.

"I left my keys in the car and it has been stolen."

There was a period of silence. I thought the call
had been dropped, but then I heard his voice.

"Are you kiddin' me", he barked, "I dropped you off"

Now it was my time to be silent. Embarrassed, I
said, "Well, come and get me."

He retorted, "I will, as soon as I convince this
policeman I have not stolen your car."

Yep! It's the golden years...

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
As an aside

Some journalists have been surprised to see Olympic workers taping over the logos on their Dell and Apple computers, since neither company is bankrolling the games.
Read the full AP story about the insanity

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Yep! It's the golden years...

Funny I thought it was called senile dementia

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Sheeples gotta be sheared...

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

I thought the term was "fleeced".

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

Ah, more restrictions in the name of "terrorism" and "protecting the children".

Also see »www.sfgate.com/sports/ar ··· 2548.php

Surely I'm a curmudgeon for saying it, but I have lost practically all interest in the olympics (lower case intentional). IMO the individual athletes have become pawns of a commercial media "content manufacturer" that has turned it into just another glitzy over-hyped media event with ridiculous restrictions on visitors and spectators. Additionally, there's no way a citizen-athlete can even afford to compete in any major event without major corporate and/or government sponsorship.

»www.suntimes.com/sports/ ··· don.html
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
This is the perfect time to introduce you to a very useful English word: jobsworth.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to Name Game

Mod

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

I guess the red tape makes it official

»www2.rohde-schwarz.com/e ··· 745.html

Well, if security accidentally shoots him he's never going to track down all those lawbreakers!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
the 100ml of liquids thing is purely and only to force people to buy drink inside the venues. Really no different than many ballparks.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
And yet another testimony of extreme greed and stupidity of London's Olympic games organizers - lots of empty seats, that everyone can see now.

If they went to elementary economic school before they make their stupid financial decisions, they would know that price defines the demand. If those seats had been reasonably priced, they would not have such failure now...

Again, one word comes to mind - greed...

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

As an aside

Some journalists have been surprised to see Olympic workers taping over the logos on their Dell and Apple computers, since neither company is bankrolling the games.
Read the full AP story about the insanity

I guess it's a good thing Chicago didn't get the Olympics. Try that there and they'd have needed all that riot gear.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
This photo of Olympic divers being photoshopped on the toilet seats has hit the web. these seats seem to be filled.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to OZO

MVM

to OZO
said by OZO:

The event, that allows everyone in the world compete with piers ...

Can I use docks instead?
Curiosity
join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC

Curiosity to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

the 100ml of liquids thing is purely and only to force people to buy drink inside the venues. Really no different than many ballparks.

I thought that was to make sure nobody blows up the stadium, or arena, or whatever, just as people may not take more than 100 ml of liquid on an aeroplane in carry-on bags.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Yes, it's a common thought implanted in our minds now, and please, still believe that
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Curiosity

Premium Member

to Curiosity
said by Curiosity:

said by Kearnstd:

I thought that was to make sure nobody blows up the stadium, or arena, or whatever, just as people may not take more than 100 ml of liquid on an aeroplane in carry-on bags.

That is the spin, I have not believed this liquid explosives bullshit since day one... I think someone saw Die Hard 3 one too many times at the TSA and knew the public would fall in for it. These days where selling water is a multi-billion dollar business from sports arenas to on board airplanes it should come as no shock BYOW is restricted.(However some airports do allow empty water bottles through the checkpoint.)

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

said by StuartMW:

I do get enjoyment at Siesta Beach (Sarasota) watching such games there. Vanderbilt Beach in Naples is also a nice place.

As for security, I don't have to endure olympic security at either beach. I can wear a logo'd T shirt, take water and a cooler, and take a camera with a lens measuring longer than 30cm. And, it's free in Sarasota. In Naples, I need to pay or get a beach parking pass unless someone drops me off.

edit - fixed tag screwup

Naples is just awesome. Born and raised here

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Great read here..check out the link...

Draconian 'Wi-Fi police' stalk Olympic Games

You've probably heard of the overzealous Olympic Games "brand police" harassing old ladies making Olympic cakes and other shop owners getting into the Olympic spirit, but how about the "Wi-Fi police"?
Sponsors pay tens of millions of pounds to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for exclusive rights to spruik their wares around London and beyond, and the IOC will stop at nothing to protect those revenue streams.
BT is the "official communications services provider" for the Olympics and has 1500 Wi-Fi hotspots at Olympic sites, with prices starting from £5.99 for 90 minutes. It's the largest single Wi-Fi venue installation in Britain, according to BT.
To protect this lucrative deal - and presumably minimise any potential technical interference - LOCOG, the London Olympics organising committee, has banned "personal/private wireless access points and 3G hubs" from Olympic venues.
Want to create a wireless hotspot on your smartphone so you can get online on your laptop or tablet in between matches? That's prohibited, as are portable Wi-Fi hotspot devices.
More below
Skip to top | bottom
Sadao Turner Esq, director of new media for TV personality Ryan Seacrest's production company, tweeted a photo of the "Olympics Wi-Fi police" that are charged with seeking out unauthorised Wi-Fi hotspots with big red detectors.
The absurdities don't end there. According to Britain's Daily Telegraph, Fish and chip stalls have been advised they are not allowed to serve chips on their own without fish as McDonald's is the official chip maker of the Games. The Independent reported that the ban on chips extended to 800 retailers at the 40 Olympic venues.
Hundreds of uniformed Olympics officers have been patrolling London enforcing the multimillion-dollar marketing deals signed with companies such as Visa, Proctor & Gamble, Coca-Cola, Adidas, McDonald's and BP.
Only official sponsors who have paid a certain amount of money are permitted to use Olympic Games trademarks in their advertising.
Under laws specifically passed for the London Games, the brand army has rights to enter shops and business premises and bring courts actions and fines up to £20,000.
Words such as "Olympic", "gold", "silver", "bronze", "sponsors", "summer" and "London" have been banned from business advertisements so as not to give the impression they are connected to the Olympics. Even pubs can't have signs displaying brands of beer that are not official sponsors.

»m.theage.com.au/technolo ··· jdc.html
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
England is why america has The Constitution and the Bill of Rights. this wouldn't fly here!. we don't want this type of control here!. although not perfect by any means, Democracy is better.