Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Name Game

Re: Wi-Fi hotspots banned at the Olympics

And yet another testimony of extreme greed and stupidity of London's Olympic games organizers - lots of empty seats, that everyone can see now.

If they went to elementary economic school before they make their stupid financial decisions, they would know that price defines the demand. If those seats had been reasonably priced, they would not have such failure now...

Again, one word comes to mind - greed...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

As an aside

Some journalists have been surprised to see Olympic workers taping over the logos on their Dell and Apple computers, since neither company is bankrolling the games.
Read the full AP story about the insanity

I guess it's a good thing Chicago didn't get the Olympics. Try that there and they'd have needed all that riot gear.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to OZO
This photo of Olympic divers being photoshopped on the toilet seats has hit the web. these seats seem to be filled.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

The event, that allows everyone in the world compete with piers ...

Can I use docks instead?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Curiosity

join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

the 100ml of liquids thing is purely and only to force people to buy drink inside the venues. Really no different than many ballparks.

I thought that was to make sure nobody blows up the stadium, or arena, or whatever, just as people may not take more than 100 ml of liquid on an aeroplane in carry-on bags.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
Yes, it's a common thought implanted in our minds now, and please, still believe that
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Curiosity
said by Curiosity:

said by Kearnstd:

the 100ml of liquids thing is purely and only to force people to buy drink inside the venues. Really no different than many ballparks.

I thought that was to make sure nobody blows up the stadium, or arena, or whatever, just as people may not take more than 100 ml of liquid on an aeroplane in carry-on bags.

That is the spin, I have not believed this liquid explosives bullshit since day one... I think someone saw Die Hard 3 one too many times at the TSA and knew the public would fall in for it. These days where selling water is a multi-billion dollar business from sports arenas to on board airplanes it should come as no shock BYOW is restricted.(However some airports do allow empty water bottles through the checkpoint.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

said by StuartMW:

Womens beach volleyball is close...

I do get enjoyment at Siesta Beach (Sarasota) watching such games there. Vanderbilt Beach in Naples is also a nice place.

As for security, I don't have to endure olympic security at either beach. I can wear a logo'd T shirt, take water and a cooler, and take a camera with a lens measuring longer than 30cm. And, it's free in Sarasota. In Naples, I need to pay or get a beach parking pass unless someone drops me off.

edit - fixed tag screwup

Naples is just awesome. Born and raised here

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Name Game
Great read here..check out the link...

Draconian 'Wi-Fi police' stalk Olympic Games

You've probably heard of the overzealous Olympic Games "brand police" harassing old ladies making Olympic cakes and other shop owners getting into the Olympic spirit, but how about the "Wi-Fi police"?
Sponsors pay tens of millions of pounds to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for exclusive rights to spruik their wares around London and beyond, and the IOC will stop at nothing to protect those revenue streams.
BT is the "official communications services provider" for the Olympics and has 1500 Wi-Fi hotspots at Olympic sites, with prices starting from £5.99 for 90 minutes. It's the largest single Wi-Fi venue installation in Britain, according to BT.
To protect this lucrative deal - and presumably minimise any potential technical interference - LOCOG, the London Olympics organising committee, has banned "personal/private wireless access points and 3G hubs" from Olympic venues.
Want to create a wireless hotspot on your smartphone so you can get online on your laptop or tablet in between matches? That's prohibited, as are portable Wi-Fi hotspot devices.
More below
Skip to top | bottom
Sadao Turner Esq, director of new media for TV personality Ryan Seacrest's production company, tweeted a photo of the "Olympics Wi-Fi police" that are charged with seeking out unauthorised Wi-Fi hotspots with big red detectors.
The absurdities don't end there. According to Britain's Daily Telegraph, Fish and chip stalls have been advised they are not allowed to serve chips on their own without fish as McDonald's is the official chip maker of the Games. The Independent reported that the ban on chips extended to 800 retailers at the 40 Olympic venues.
Hundreds of uniformed Olympics officers have been patrolling London enforcing the multimillion-dollar marketing deals signed with companies such as Visa, Proctor & Gamble, Coca-Cola, Adidas, McDonald's and BP.
Only official sponsors who have paid a certain amount of money are permitted to use Olympic Games trademarks in their advertising.
Under laws specifically passed for the London Games, the brand army has rights to enter shops and business premises and bring courts actions and fines up to £20,000.
Words such as "Olympic", "gold", "silver", "bronze", "sponsors", "summer" and "London" have been banned from business advertisements so as not to give the impression they are connected to the Olympics. Even pubs can't have signs displaying brands of beer that are not official sponsors.

»m.theage.com.au/technology/techn ··· jdc.html
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to Name Game
England is why america has The Constitution and the Bill of Rights. this wouldn't fly here!. we don't want this type of control here!. although not perfect by any means, Democracy is better.

Pjr
Don't Panic

join:2005-12-11
UK
said by iknow:

England is why america has The Constitution and the Bill of Rights. this wouldn't fly here!. we don't want this type of control here!. although not perfect by any means, Democracy is better.

The goverment haven't banned them so don't try to score any political points.

The next Olympics will be even more draconian as will the ones after that. Companies have paid major money in sponsorship and broadcasting rights; perhaps the contracts stated that these measures have to be taken to protect the investments.

I agree that greed plays a large part in these Olympics but IMO it's not just one organisation that has to take the blame.
--
Overflow error in /dev/null

iknow
Premium
said by Pjr:

said by iknow:

The goverment haven't banned them so don't try to score any political points.

The next Olympics will be even more draconian as will the ones after that. Companies have paid major money in sponsorship and broadcasting rights; perhaps the contracts stated that these measures have to be taken to protect the investments.

I agree that greed plays a large part in these Olympics but IMO it's not just one organisation that has to take the blame.

the Government allowed it, so they are responsible. people in the UK are much more used to being told what they can and cannot do than those in america, that's for sure. they STILL have a Monarch. although on the surface has less powers than originally. We in America, never had such intrusions on rights such as this for the Olympics, yes, we had the Olympics here before!. BTW, i'm NOT bashing the system in the UK, if the people there like it, it's fine with me.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
The US govt will be taxing our Olympic athletes on their winnings..other Countires don't do that, in fact they give them bonuses. Is that fine with you ?

»finance.yahoo.com/news/us-Olympi ··· 656.html

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to iknow
You might care to do a little background reading, since your remarks come across as rather naive.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituti ··· monarchy

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

(tunj1-tweeted-this-image-with-the-caption-the-queen-looking-like.jpg)
You know who the current monarch is - it's Queen Elizabeth II. But do you know about what she has to do with the UK Parliament?

»www.parliament.uk/education/onli ··· to-know/

Royal assent
Ideas for new laws must be approved by the Commons and the Lords, but also by the Queen. The monarch's approval is called 'royal assent'. She has the right to say no to a new law, but this would be unusual. The last monarch to refuse was Queen Anne in 1707.

Parliament has the power to make new laws and change old ones.

Parliament's parts

The UK Parliament can be found in Westminster, London. It has three parts:

The House of Commons is made up of 650 Members of Parliament (MPs). We vote for our MPs and whoever wins represents everyone in our local area (called a constituency) even if we voted for someone else.
The House of Lords has over 700 members, who are not elected but who have been selected by the prime minister and appointed by the Queen.
The monarch, our Queen, opens and closes Parliament every year, asks the winning party in a general election to become the government and officially signs all the laws that Parliament votes for.

How are laws made in Parliament?

Acts of Parliament are laws of the land that affect us all. For example, laws determine at what age people can drive cars or vote in elections.

A proposed new law is called a bill. Bills must be agreed by both Houses of Parliament before becoming laws. This often means that a bill is passed backwards and forwards between the House of Commons and House of Lords, each making changes, until they are both happy with the exact wording.

This makes sure that the bill is properly thought through and that all the consequences of the new law have been considered.

Once both Houses have agreed on the bill it can be approved by the Queen. This is called Royal Assent and means the bill becomes an Act of Parliament and therefore officially a new law.

»www.parliament.uk/education/onli ··· d-lords/
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

1 recommendation

She has the right to say no to a new law, but this would be unusual.

OK, since we're side-tracking into British institutions: there is a delicate balance in Britain, such that the Crown nominally has power, but they'd better not try and use it.

Thus, for example, it would likely provoke a constitutional crisis if the monarch did in fact refuse a law, since Parliament considers itself supreme. Maybe, maybe not. Can't find out without trying.

(Contrary to American views, Britain regards itself as having a constitution, simply not a written one. In some respects this has worked well, since Britain has not the 'constitutional literalism' that plagues the USA in legislative debates, but I think relying on tradition and precedent is outmoded in the 21st century.)

As a relatively recent example about who's in charge, consider the matter of Edward VIII, who was forced to abdicate the crown by the government of the day.

And, by the way, outside the Palace of Westminster ('Houses of Parliament') there is a statue of Oliver Cromwell, a celebrated regicide.

The British are a people comfortable with ambiguity.

Pjr
Don't Panic

join:2005-12-11
UK
reply to iknow
said by iknow:

the Government allowed it, so they are responsible.

That is your strongest argument? The government has more important things than this to consider.

Video cameras and unauthorised transmission of events are also banned (see the terms and conditions ticket buyers agree to) so perhaps banning hotspots is an attempt to stop the uploading of videos. God forbid NBC viewers get to see the events live.

All that is speculation though because I can't find an explanation anywhere.

I'll treat the rest of your post with the contempt it deserves.
--
Overflow error in /dev/null

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I suspect that many of these terms are spelled out in the paperwork when you sign up to host the olympics, i.e., sovereign governments have little choice but to lick the IOC's arse.

Of course, my viewpoint is that I can't see why any country would be insane enough to want to host the olympics.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to iknow
Click for full size
And don't start bashing the Queen..she is a sweetheart..a good sport..and has her own life to live.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

1 recommendation

She's a welfare queen.

iknow
Premium
reply to dave
said by dave:

I suspect that many of these terms are spelled out in the paperwork when you sign up to host the olympics, i.e., sovereign governments have little choice but to lick the IOC's arse.

Of course, my viewpoint is that I can't see why any country would be insane enough to want to host the olympics.

it's a huge cash flow, that's why they bend over. because of the size of the event, i imagine it's held in a public owned area, so the government would normally have a say on what goes on there, but i haven't checked.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

And don't start bashing the Queen..she is a sweetheart..a good sport..and has her own life to live.

And she's still Head Of State of many Commonwealth countries.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Name Game
The rules and banned things at the Olympics are becoming quite ridiculous.

I've even received threatening take-down requests for a couple pictures I posted online which I took at an olympic venue in Beijing, using my own camera. My sister had some videos she posted on YouTube (again, taken from her own camera) deleted. These were all posted after the games had ended.

Turns out you don't own the rights to ANY pictures or videos you take anywhere on the Olympic venues.

Oh, and I had to throw out certain drinks and food items I had taken with me when entering the Olympic grounds, because the brand of those items were competitors to some Olympic sponsors. Ridiculous!!!

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I think you must be mistaken. I read the 'role of the IOC' according to their charter, and it's all about promoting sports competition. They don't say a thing about it being a goal to protect the profits of big multinationals by overly-aggressive tactics directed at members of the public.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
Good stuff still comes out of it all...

»abcnews.go.com/US/olympics/olymp ··· 16929084

iknow
Premium
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

The rules and banned things at the Olympics are becoming quite ridiculous.

I've even received threatening take-down requests for a couple pictures I posted online which I took at an olympic venue in Beijing, using my own camera. My sister had some videos she posted on YouTube (again, taken from her own camera) deleted. These were all posted after the games had ended.

Turns out you don't own the rights to ANY pictures or videos you take anywhere on the Olympic venues.

Oh, and I had to throw out certain drinks and food items I had taken with me when entering the Olympic grounds, because the brand of those items were competitors to some Olympic sponsors. Ridiculous!!!

they don't know the law then, or they do and thought maybe you don't. any pictures you take are yours. »www.krages.com/phoright.htm

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
In such matters, 'the law' often takes second place to the consideration of whose lawyers can outspend the other guy's lawyers.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Name Game
I wonder how they handle shops with London in their name... because you know having a city name in a business located in a city is rather common.

main thing if the games came to the US again is Goodluck to the IOC brand police telling some hole in the wall bar owner to take the beer branded neon from his windows. odds are he would tell them to go fsck themselves its his bar and unless they are city PD the signs stay.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports