uniqs
share rss forum feed

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to dave

Re: Wi-Fi hotspots banned at the Olympics

said by dave:

I suspect that many of these terms are spelled out in the paperwork when you sign up to host the olympics, i.e., sovereign governments have little choice but to lick the IOC's arse.

Of course, my viewpoint is that I can't see why any country would be insane enough to want to host the olympics.

it's a huge cash flow, that's why they bend over. because of the size of the event, i imagine it's held in a public owned area, so the government would normally have a say on what goes on there, but i haven't checked.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

And don't start bashing the Queen..she is a sweetheart..a good sport..and has her own life to live.

And she's still Head Of State of many Commonwealth countries.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Name Game
The rules and banned things at the Olympics are becoming quite ridiculous.

I've even received threatening take-down requests for a couple pictures I posted online which I took at an olympic venue in Beijing, using my own camera. My sister had some videos she posted on YouTube (again, taken from her own camera) deleted. These were all posted after the games had ended.

Turns out you don't own the rights to ANY pictures or videos you take anywhere on the Olympic venues.

Oh, and I had to throw out certain drinks and food items I had taken with me when entering the Olympic grounds, because the brand of those items were competitors to some Olympic sponsors. Ridiculous!!!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I think you must be mistaken. I read the 'role of the IOC' according to their charter, and it's all about promoting sports competition. They don't say a thing about it being a goal to protect the profits of big multinationals by overly-aggressive tactics directed at members of the public.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
Good stuff still comes out of it all...

»abcnews.go.com/US/olympics/olymp···16929084

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

The rules and banned things at the Olympics are becoming quite ridiculous.

I've even received threatening take-down requests for a couple pictures I posted online which I took at an olympic venue in Beijing, using my own camera. My sister had some videos she posted on YouTube (again, taken from her own camera) deleted. These were all posted after the games had ended.

Turns out you don't own the rights to ANY pictures or videos you take anywhere on the Olympic venues.

Oh, and I had to throw out certain drinks and food items I had taken with me when entering the Olympic grounds, because the brand of those items were competitors to some Olympic sponsors. Ridiculous!!!

they don't know the law then, or they do and thought maybe you don't. any pictures you take are yours. »www.krages.com/phoright.htm

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
In such matters, 'the law' often takes second place to the consideration of whose lawyers can outspend the other guy's lawyers.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Name Game
I wonder how they handle shops with London in their name... because you know having a city name in a business located in a city is rather common.

main thing if the games came to the US again is Goodluck to the IOC brand police telling some hole in the wall bar owner to take the beer branded neon from his windows. odds are he would tell them to go fsck themselves its his bar and unless they are city PD the signs stay.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports