Support Our Troops
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Baldwin, NY

Viet Vet

Premium Member

[Outlook] Outlook.com SMTP INFO

Morning;

I just added a Outlook.com email address (IMAP) and downloaded the MS add on to enable it to work with outlook 2007. It all work as it should.
But I also have mail washer and I need to find the SMTP info so it will filter the mail. I am using firefox and after logging in to my OL.com account and going to settings, the server setting are not listed.
Any help would be welcomed.

phreekd
Premium Member
join:2003-06-10
Parkville, MD

phreekd

Premium Member

I using these settings with Outlook 2010:

Hotmail Help & How-to
If you’d like to manage your Hotmail account using an email app, you’ll need to set up your POP3 or SMTP server and port settings in your email app. You’ll need the following info:
• POP3 server: pop3.live.com (port 995)
• SMTP server: smtp.live.com (port 25)

Note
If port 25 has been blocked in your network or by your ISP, you can set the SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL Encryption (depending on which email app you're using).
• Choose the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) option for both POP3 and SMTP connections.
• Choose the SMTP authentication for SMTP connections.
• Choose the outgoing server requires authentication option. (In most email apps, this option isn't checked by default.)
• User name: Enter your full email address.
• Password: Enter your Microsoft account password.
• If you don’t want email messages to be permanently deleted from your inbox after you download them to your mail program, select the Leave a copy of messages on the server option.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by phreekd:

Hotmail Help & How-to
If you’d like to manage your Hotmail account using an email app, you’ll need to set up your POP3 or SMTP server and port settings in your email app. You’ll need the following info:

Note
If port 25 has been blocked in your network or by your ISP, you can set the SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL Encryption (depending on which email app you're using).
• Choose the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) option for both POP3 and SMTP connections.
• Choose the outgoing server requires authentication option. (In most email apps, this option isn't checked by default.)
• If you don’t want email messages to be permanently deleted from your inbox after you download them to your mail program, select the Leave a copy of messages on the server option.

Are you using the Outlook connector with your desktop email client. Everything I've read states that the connector must be downloaded and installed in order to use an email client.

phreekd
Premium Member
Parkville, MD

phreekd to Viet Vet

Premium Member

to Viet Vet
No, I just manually configured it via Outlook menu options like any other pop3 config.

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium Member
Baldwin, NY

Viet Vet to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

said by phreekd:

Hotmail Help & How-to

Note

Are you using the Outlook connector with your desktop email client. Everything I've read states that the connector must be downloaded and installed in order to use an email client.

Yes i am I, there is no problem with the functioning of outlook and Outlook.com. I am having trouble configuring mail washer to work with it I tried the above SMTP setting in mail washer and no joy.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to phreekd

Premium Member

to phreekd
said by phreekd:

No, I just manually configured it via Outlook menu options like any other pop3 config.

Doesn't work for me. Manually configuring the settings results in mail sending via my outlook desktop program just fine. Problem is, it will not receive any email.

phreekd
Premium Member
Parkville, MD

phreekd

Premium Member

See if you don't have a NEW folder with inbox et al underneath your other accounts. Look on left side tree structure. Mine created a folder named after my Outlook.com account. Double click to open.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by phreekd:

See if you don't have a NEW folder with inbox et al underneath your other accounts. Look on left side tree structure. Mine created a folder named after my Outlook.com account. Double click to open.

If you have a new folder for that inbox in the tree structure to the left, sounds like you set yours up as IMAP. I've never added a new pop account in outlook and had it create a separate inbox......only seen that happen for IMAP.
GuruGuy

GuruGuy to Viet Vet

Premium Member

to Viet Vet
I see nothing in writing that allows a person to just manually configure outlook on a pc and it will work without also using the connector. I've tried numerous times and it sends email fine, just will not receive.

Here is the MS article -

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2735989
GuruGuy

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by GuruGuy:

I see nothing in writing that allows a person to just manually configure outlook on a pc and it will work without also using the connector. I've tried numerous times and it sends email fine, just will not receive.

Here is the MS article -

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2735989

I installed the connector and now my desktop outlook is sending and receiving fine without any issues. It DID add an Outlook.com inbox and some other folders to the left hand tree within Outlook (desktop). Looking at the settings, it setup the account as MAPI.

phreekd
Premium Member
Parkville, MD

phreekd

Premium Member

Mine is pop3, not IMAP. I'm out of ideas. Everything I've read says the connector is only necessary to get all the other features of Live or Outlook.com. Mine works fine, yes it looks like IMAP setup but I don't use IMAP, I pop3 and don't delete from server. Same effect for me.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by phreekd:

Mine is pop3, not IMAP. I'm out of ideas. Everything I've read says the connector is only necessary to get all the other features of Live or Outlook.com. Mine works fine, yes it looks like IMAP setup but I don't use IMAP, I pop3 and don't delete from server. Same effect for me.

Can you post some screenshots of the settings for that account

How did you get the extra inbox in your folder tree? That's what is puzzling to me if you are using a pop3 setup

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium Member
Baldwin, NY

Viet Vet

Premium Member

Thanks guys; I had my question answered on the Firetrust forum. You two gentlemen totally hijacked my thread. Hope you find your answer.
VV

phreekd
Premium Member
Parkville, MD

phreekd

Premium Member

I apologize man.

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium Member
Baldwin, NY

Viet Vet

Premium Member

Thank you

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Viet Vet

Premium Member

to Viet Vet
said by Viet Vet:

Morning;

I just added a Outlook.com email address (IMAP) and downloaded the MS add on to enable it to work with outlook 2007. It all work as it should.
But I also have mail washer and I need to find the SMTP info so it will filter the mail. I am using firefox and after logging in to my OL.com account and going to settings, the server setting are not listed.
Any help would be welcomed.

Sorry you thought your thread got hijacked. You asked about server settings for SMTP and that's where I started going, but admittedly got a little sidetracked. Sorry about that.

After digging most of the day trying to solve my issue, I found this in regards to the connector vs manually configuring without the connector. Server settings are also shown.....

»www.msoutlook.info/question/332

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to GuruGuy

MVM

to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

"Outlook Connector" is only necessary if you want the benefits of HTTPMail (uses the "DeltaSync" protocol). One of those benefits is access akin to IMAP.

If you wish, you can use POP3/SMTP; but you can't download the folder structure of the account. POP3 is not designed for that level of access.
NormanS

NormanS to Viet Vet

MVM

to Viet Vet
said by Viet Vet:

Yes i am I, there is no problem with the functioning of outlook and Outlook.com. I am having trouble configuring mail washer to work with it I tried the above SMTP setting in mail washer and no joy.

It has been years since I evaluated MailWasher. Does it even need SMTP configured? I thought it downloaded headers for checks; and only worked with POP3 servers. I wouldn't expect it to work with the "Outlook Connector" because that uses "DeltaSync" instead of POP3.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

After digging most of the day trying to solve my issue, I found this in regards to the connector vs manually configuring without the connector. Server settings are also shown.....

»www.msoutlook.info/question/332

Good info. Thanks for posting that.

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium Member
Baldwin, NY

Viet Vet to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by Viet Vet:

It has been years since I evaluated Mail Washer. Does it even need SMTP configured? I thought it downloaded headers for checks; and only worked with POP3 servers. I wouldn't expect it to work with the "Outlook Connector" because that uses "DeltaSync" instead of POP3.

MW is working well and I have the outlook connector installed. As to the need for SMTP info, the setup requested it and I went looking for it. Right now MW checks both my gmail and outlook.com accounts. That's really all I care about.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Viet Vet:

MW is working well and I have the outlook connector installed. As to the need for SMTP info, the setup requested it and I went looking for it. Right now MW checks both my gmail and outlook.com accounts. That's really all I care about.

Okay. I imagine the only reason MW wants (no need) SMTP info is to configure to send forged bounces. That feature is a bad idea on at least two levels.

Or is MW scanning outbound as well, and why?

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium Member
Baldwin, NY

Viet Vet

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by Viet Vet:

Okay. I imagine the only reason MW wants (no need) SMTP info is to configure to send forged bounces. That feature is a bad idea on at least two levels.

said by NormanS:

said by Viet Vet:

MW is not sending bounces (I disable that feature) The reason I was looking for the SMTP is MW now has a an Error reporting log that was alerting me to to an error. When the correct SMTP was added the error notification stopped.
Look; thank you for your interest, but I have spent more time on this than it deserves and as far as I am concerned the issue is closed.
Again thanks for all your input.
VV