uniqs
arisk
join:2001-08-08
London, ON

arisk to Semaphore

to Semaphore

Re: Xplornet vs. Rocket/Turbo for rural dilemma

said by Semaphore:

I build wireless networks for a living. Wireless is ALWAYS an option, it's just a matter of how much are you willing to spend.

Canopy is now among the slowest 900Mhz solutions in the market. Move to a MIMO 900 solution with sufficient Fresnel and you'll make 5Mbps easy. I've seen 12Mbps over 900Mhz MIMO at 4 Kms with about 50% of it moderate deciduous foliage... but the OP doesn't want to talk about options such as that.

If guys like you would build them, they would be an option.
They don't exist.

I'm at the consumer end of things.
Am I supposed to build the infrastructure?
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido

Premium Member

Sure, build it yourself. Grab a couple Ubiquiti Rocket M5's with RD30's and find someone in town to share internet with and split the bill.
You seem to have had a good trial run with Xplornet, so go with them. You say there are no other options, so there's your best bet from the lack of address information provided.
I also can say for 100% for sure that there is another wireless option in your area. So I'm not sure where you get your information that there is not.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to arisk

Premium Member

to arisk
said by arisk:

said by Semaphore:

If guys like you would build them, they would be an option.
They don't exist.

I'm at the consumer end of things.
Am I supposed to build the infrastructure?

Sure I can do that. I assume You'll pay for it ? Because as I said I do it for a living so I do expect to get paid.

And Yes you are expected to pay for it - did you get hydro to your property yet ? I bet that it was totally remote and Hydro1 has told you that THEY will cover ALL the costs of getting electricity JUST to you right ? Totally Free. C'mon!! If your location is that ridiculously far out of the way - which we can only assume it is since you refuse to divulge the secret sauce - then YES you should be expected to PAY for it. Forget the Digital Divide line too - That's a political crock of steaming hot sauce itself - I live in the country, and I have ALL my life, and you know WHY ? because I love the COUNTRY, not because I righteously DEMAND to have every damn thing they have in the City without any of the drawbacks, plus let's not forget the "for FREE" Part.

And by the way I did pay for the connection to My remote property because I wanted it and it was totally impractical to expect ANY ONE but me to pay for it. And it was a LOT of money... but then I expect to have to pay my own way, not to whine about someone else not doing it for me.
arisk
join:2001-08-08
London, ON

arisk

Go back and read my original posting and ask youreself if you have in any way contributed anything constructive to this post.

Life's too short to deal with your reading comprehension.
Thanks to those who were helpful.
Bye.

Semaphore
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Semaphore

Premium Member

said by arisk:

Go back and read my original posting and ask youreself if you have in any way contributed anything constructive to this post.
Bye.
7. Other constructive comments welcome.
Any caveats I'm not aware of?
Remember the NO OTHER OPTIONS situation.

Yup i can read - see point 7 above ? There are ALWAYS other options... not our fault that YOU don't want to accept that or to pay for it...

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT

said by Semaphore:

said by arisk:

Bye.
7. Other constructive comments welcome.
Any caveats I'm not aware of?
Remember the NO OTHER OPTIONS situation.

Yup i can read - see point 7 above ? There are ALWAYS other options... not our fault that YOU don't want to accept that or to pay for it...

How about not being an asshat and accept the fact that a lot of people cannot afford such luxuries. I can accept the fact that a higher cost of living is expected if you want to live out in the boonies, but he's probably not making the six-figure salary like a network engineer such as yourself is making. AFAIC, wireless providers charge too much for the labour to get someone started on a WISP service.

Semaphore
Premium Member

Semaphore

Premium Member

said by XT0RT:

How about not being an asshat and accept the fact that a lot of people cannot afford such luxuries. I can accept the fact that a higher cost of living is expected if you want to live out in the boonies, but he's probably not making the six-figure salary like a network engineer such as yourself is making. AFAIC, wireless providers charge too much for the labour to get someone started on a WISP service.

ROFLMAO - I'm a tower climber not an Engineer.. you think a tower monkey, working for and ISP makes a six figure salary ?
Try about 36K a year - look it up. And I don't think I'm being an Asshat - I think I'm a realist - if you want something pay for it. If you can't afford it, save for it. If you can't save money then forget about it. I work my asshat off for less money than most bartenders make, and I accept the fact that I have to pay for what I want... seems pretty straight forward to me.
The OP was adamant that there were not other options. That's false. He asked for someone to think out of the box - a number of folks here tried that, BUT he doesn't wanna hear that it would take time and effort, and (oh my) money on his part.... There are always other options but very few people want to take the responsibility to pay for it themselves and then folks like yerself wanna lay blame on us millionairess that are making 36K a year working 12 hour days 6 days a week from -30C to +36C, a few hundred feet in the air to try to get that "overpriced" service to you.
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob

said by Semaphore:

said by XT0RT:

ROFLMAO - I'm a tower climber not an Engineer.. you think a tower monkey, working for and ISP makes a six figure salary ?
Try about 36K a year - look it up. And I don't think I'm being an Asshat - I think I'm a realist - if you want something pay for it. If you can't afford it, save for it. If you can't save money then forget about it. I work my asshat off for less money than most bartenders make, and I accept the fact that I have to pay for what I want... seems pretty straight forward to me.
The OP was adamant that there were not other options. That's false. He asked for someone to think out of the box - a number of folks here tried that, BUT he doesn't wanna hear that it would take time and effort, and (oh my) money on his part.... There are always other options but very few people want to take the responsibility to pay for it themselves and then folks like yerself wanna lay blame on us millionairess that are making 36K a year working 12 hour days 6 days a week from -30C to +36C, a few hundred feet in the air to try to get that "overpriced" service to you.

Semaphore speaks truth, People in the wisp industry aren’t in it to get rich. They are generally in it to provide the best service. My service comparable to wholesaler adsl1 broadband in the city.

The reason's installations cost so much with most wisp's is because a install to be done properly can take between 1.5-4 hours and the materials cost's add up.

It is very enjoyable to offer people what a service that is comparable to bell/wholesale ADSL for latency and consistency.
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido

Premium Member

Well, glad to see we were all able to help Mr. CIA. lol I hate it when people do what the OP did. Come in and want answers but refuse to provide the information to get the right answers or assume they know everything before they even ask the question..lol Maybe a mod wants to lock this thread as the OP has apparently decided to end it all.