Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JPedroT

join:2005-02-18
kudos:1
reply to claykin

Re: USG50 HELP request - Tmobile wifi call traffic blocked

Android works just fine, albeit the DHCP client does not support it. So you need to have SLAAC enabled on your USG.
--
"Perl is executable line noise, Python is executable pseudo-code."

claykin

join:2003-08-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by JPedroT:

Android works just fine, albeit the DHCP client does not support it. So you need to have SLAAC enabled on your USG.

I have several RIM devices that do not support IPV6.

And which version/flavor of Android did you have luck with? I've been reading some varying IPV6 support on the Android forums.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

JPedroT

reply to claykin
I have done it with the Galaxy Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus obviously with JB and ICS. But I was experimenting with the Nexus S before ICS I believe.

But if not all your devices does support it then its not something that will solve your problem completely

But I do suggest you do the IPv6 thing, because its something you need to do anyway and why not do it now and solve the problem for a subset of your users?
--

JPedroT

reply to mozerd
Before the Nexus S, TMobile had a LG Android phone with IPv6 support available. So that list is not 100% correct
--

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to claykin
DSL pardner, you are a fine wine my friend, you only get better with age!!

claykin

Fort Lauderdale, FL
I really do appreciate the help and advice. Wish I could easily implement IPV6 and resolve this.

Not sure I'll satisfy most users. There's only a few Androids, and most seem to be 2.3.x models such as myTouch4G. They've got another 6 months - year before they'll be upgrading again.

I've got quite a few BB9900 users who travel Int'l often and they won't give up their BB anytime soon. BB has the best data roaming options so they stick with it. Plus the 9900 seems to be a pretty good phone. Does all the important stuff a smartphone should do, just minus some popular apps (mostly goofy apps).

Right now I'm thinking I need to look into a second WAN IP for these locations.

How would I go about setting this up with a second WAN IP?

BTW, I did hear back from the USG PM @ Zyxel. Their HQ is looking at this and will report back shortly. I'll continue to be hopeful.

imanon

@comcast.net
reply to claykin
I had a similar problem with the IPsec port being captured by the device rather than forwarded to the AT&T 3G microcell on my LAN - I solved it by removing IPsec from the "wan to zyxel" rule, obviously that means no IPsec VPN terminations to the device, so I'm using SSL VPN instead - not sure if that work be sufficient for you.

claykin

Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by imanon :

I had a similar problem with the IPsec port being captured by the device rather than forwarded to the AT&T 3G microcell on my LAN - I solved it by removing IPsec from the "wan to zyxel" rule, obviously that means no IPsec VPN terminations to the device, so I'm using SSL VPN instead - not sure if that work be sufficient for you.

Tried that, but had unpredictable results. Worked, then didn't. Not nearly as well as when USG was completely out of the picture.

claykin

Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

reply to claykin
A happy ending.

TMobile released a new SIM card called UICC GBA (Generic Bootstrapping Architecture). This SIM handles user authentication and since converting to it, I no longer have USG log entries from TMo servers on port 4500.

The odd thing is this SIM came out in Q4 2011 and I've called TMo about 10 times about my wifi calling issues and not a single person said anything about a new SIM. Yet, their tech page says this GBA SIM is required for newer phones using wifi calling. Anyway, a billing rep knew about it. A quick trip to my local TMo store and I was swapped out.

So far so good. Its been 5 days with pretty good Wifi calling success behind the USG with my IPSec VPN enabled.

claykin

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to imanon
said by imanon :

I would check with AT&T and see if they have a new SIM. I cannot imagine TMo are the only ones...