spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cablecharge

@comcast.net

[HD] Franchise fees??? For What???

I have Comcast HD and new lines run to my house in Northern IL and channel 7 and 9 and a few others pixel to the point that I can't even watch these channels? Seems to me that the infrastrucure is not up to date. They just keep charging us fees and raising the cost of cable. Such a ripoff!

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

Franchise fees pay for government, educational, and public access channels. They also pay for the ability to put programming on those channels and services for schools and public buildings

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by mikedz4:

Franchise fees pay for government, educational, and public access channels. They also pay for the ability to put programming on those channels and services for schools and public buildings

....and are required to be collected and passed along to your local franchise authority (municipality, town, village, city, hamlet, state). It's like a local tax. Your franchise authority should be listed on your monthly bill. They can tell you what they do with that money.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
reply to mikedz4

Franchise fees go to your local government and pays for coffee and such. In some cases it pays for your mayors grandaughter to paint the fire hydrents. Comcast has no control of what they spend it on. Comcast just passes the money on to them.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

mikedz4 is not correct- the others are. Franchise fees are actually a local, stealth tax that the franchising authority (your local government) forces Comcast to collect on their behalf. It is simply a tax, and can be used in whatever way the local government wants to. Clever, isn't it? You get taxed and don't even know it. It's not labeled as a tax, and the official tax collector doesn't collect it.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to Cablecharge

said by Cablecharge :

I have Comcast HD and new lines run to my house in Northern IL and channel 7 and 9 and a few others pixel to the point that I can't even watch these channels? Seems to me that the infrastrucure is not up to date. They just keep charging us fees and raising the cost of cable. Such a ripoff!

If by "7 and 9" you refer to local stations, then comcast is getting pixelated feeds from them and passing them on to you.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

1 edit
reply to owlyn

Not the case here. Franchise Fees are Comcast recouping the Cost of the License Fees paid to the Town for PEG programming which we provide operate and pay for.

It may not be spent for other purposes!

Read your franchise authorities license with the Comcast. It is a public Document.
--
- Bill

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by bgoodbody:

Not the case here. Franchise Fees are Comcast recouping the Cost of the License Fees paid to the Town for PEG programming which we provide operate and pay for.

It may now be spent for other purposes!

Read you franchise authorities license with the Comcast. It is a public Document.

Don't have to. I am on my town's CATV Board. I know all about it. Trust what I tell you. Comcast does not keep the fees- they are all passed on to the franchising authority.

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

I was too. Yes

Comcast pays a negotiated fee to the Town per License.

The town is required to segregate the $$ for use in PEG support, and we do.

We are also required to report to Comcast how we use it and they can protest.

ALL funds in our case are used to Support PEG access activities (Fees paid to non profit to run Public and Educational Access: Studio, Broadcast equip Salries & benefits, etc).

The balance is used by the town to support Gov't Access )Boradcast Equimpent, equipining a meeting room to tape meetions, salries and other similar expenses)

Comcast MAY charge a Francise Fee to offset their expense.

This is all goverened by terms of license.

If your town is using the funds outside the terms of the license perhaps you will be getting contacted soon
--
- Bill

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

No comcast doesnt charge a franchise fee to offset any costs. !00 percent of the fee get passed on to your local government. What your local government does with it is up to them and is in no way under the control of comcast. In my case there isnt any local peg channels and the funds go into whatever the local government wants it to go into. In no case does comcast control any of the franchise fees. Its 100 percent your local governments money to do with what ever they decide. thats the way it is in the USA. Not a 1 example where comcast gets even one red cent of that fee. A franchise fee is nothing but a rental fee to use the local ROWS.