All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

will mediacom let people out of contracts early with no ETF over this only seems fair

also yes fuck if where paying for overages till there is a meter thats approved by MO Weights and Measures

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

1 edit

MediacomChad

Premium Member

This will only take effect for new customers or customer who make account changes after August 1st. If you already were in a contract the data allowances do not apply to you. As this will not affect customers making a change before Aug 1, there will be no need for an ETF to be waived for this.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

at lest thats not to bad

the cap on Ultra seems fair but the 20mbit seems low compared any way

also if we renew our contract do we keep our grandfathered rates? ie no overage fees?

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
Chad, How long is this going to go on before "current" customers are made to go into this??
(Think AT&T with the Original iPhone plans which were unlimited then capped per month for first new accounts and THEN went to EVERYONE??

If something happens with speeds (or is THIS what you couldn't talk about til now)??? What is the point of having faster speeds if they should come down the road? So we can burn through our cap faster?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Currently we have no plan to add this to current customers. Speeds and data allowances increase with different data tiers. Even with higher download speeds, we are not seeing many go over this allowance as we have watched it. This allows us to increase speeds to better serve customers needs.

This affected residential customers who make internet changes on or after August 1. if you have questions specific to your business service account, please contact your account executive.

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1

So what happens when someone wants the 999GB capped plan but live in an area that Mediacom doesn't provide 50mb+ service?
Will Mediacom be doubling its efforts to bring those speeds to everyone?
Will Mediacom provide 999GB to those stuck at the lower speeds if the customer wants a higher cap?
kwbelt1

kwbelt1 to IowaMan

to IowaMan
From "Chris" in the Mediacom support forums.

"The new data allowances only apply to accounts that were created or changed after August 1st, 2012. Currently we are not changing accounts that were set up before then onto the new data allowances. This means you will maintain the 250GB threshold that existed beforehand."

elios
Springfield, MO

elios to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
so any chance of bumping all the old max people in the Ultra tier then at there current prices?
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to kwbelt1

to kwbelt1
said by kwbelt1:

From "Chris" in the Mediacom support forums.

"The new data allowances only apply to accounts that were created or changed after August 1st, 2012. Currently we are not changing accounts that were set up before then onto the new data allowances. This means you will maintain the 250GB threshold that existed beforehand."

And since there was no overage charge to go along with the pre Aug. 1 250GB cap then there still won't be overage charges going forward?

Chad, care to comment?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to kwbelt1

Premium Member

to kwbelt1
Currently we are working to expand out 50/5 service to new areas which will also allow us to expand the allowances out as well. The data allowances are based upon speed, and if the speed isn't available then the data allowances will not be available either. We are offering the ability to purchase additional data (50GB for $10) that will allow users to consume more data if they need to.
MediacomChad

MediacomChad to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
Chris was correct, any services added or changed before Aug 1, 2012 are not subject to usage fees at this time.

MediaCON
@mchsi.com

MediaCON

Anon

Another crap move by mediacon. Let's not tell anybody about what we're going to do until somebody on the forums outs us.

How about this. Mediacon should have given everybody at LEAST 2 weeks notice that these changes were going to happen, to give them the ability to change service, switch, cancel, whatever they wanted to do.

I stated before the buy-out that rosco owning this business outright was going to be a disaster.... just further proof.

Absolute shame that there isn't any decent competition in most areas mediacon is at... if there was, they'd be out of business within the year... and good riddance.

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1

I'm happy I signed a contract earlier this month. But just checking with Frontier they'll start offering bonded DSL to my neighborhood with 12/768 for $50 and upto 25/2 for $60. Supposedly without a cap.
pacmanfan
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Mansfield, MO

pacmanfan to MediaCON

Premium Member

to MediaCON
said by MediaCON :

Mediacon should have given everybody at LEAST 2 weeks notice that these changes were going to happen, to give them the ability to change service, switch, cancel, whatever they wanted to do.

Why? It has been repeatedly stated this doesn't affect existing customers under a contract, until they change their service level voluntarily.
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

DoctorX

or does it... it sounds like us with ultra50 have a 250G cap... if that is the case... that is wrong.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to pacmanfan

Premium Member

to pacmanfan
said by pacmanfan:

said by MediaCON :

Mediacon should have given everybody at LEAST 2 weeks notice that these changes were going to happen, to give them the ability to change service, switch, cancel, whatever they wanted to do.

Why? It has been repeatedly stated this doesn't affect existing customers under a contract, until they change their service level voluntarily.

Because people who were on the 3mbit service before the cap was announced will still be on the arbitrary 250 gig cap, while people who subscribe to 3mbit from now on will be on a cap that's 100gb lower. Informed change is always nice, whether it necessarily impacts someone directly or not. I'm sure there are some people out there who would have been impacted by that. I'd be really mad, for instance, if I'd downgraded to 3mbit or was a new subscriber, and would have made a different decision if I'd known this change was coming. And believe me, I could tear through more than 150 gigs back when I was on 1.5 mbit DSL, so it's not an impossibility.

Dave57
@mchsi.com

Dave57 to MediacomChad

Anon

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

This will only take effect for new customers or customer who make account changes after August 1st. If you already were in a contract the data allowances do not apply to you. As this will not affect customers making a change before Aug 1, there will be no need for an ETF to be waived for this.

Does this apply to change on the account (for example dropping phone or adding premium TV package) or only changes to the internet aspect (say upgrading to 50Mbps)?
Expand your moderator at work

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to Dave57

Premium Member

to Dave57

Re: Mediacom now charging for bandwidth?

Dave57 - This only applies to changes to the internet service. You can make changes to your television and phone service with no issues.

JTR - We expect the bandwidth usage monitoring tool to be online soon, and it will be located on the MediacomToday.com website.

evilpasta
@mchsi.com

evilpasta

Anon

Will the data measurement be applied to downstream, upstream, or both?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

The data usage takes into account both the download and upload bandwidth usage.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
whats pricing on the new Ultra 50 with the 999GB cap?
how much more would it be over what we are paying now? the 120/m deal you got us? were on the 20/2 now
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

If you all hate caps so much, why not call congress and express your feelings and have them create a bill that will make this 100 percent illegal. It's funny how business class don't have caps but we do. Not fair. Do something about it. Tell the telcos, mobiles and cable co's we do not want nor need caps

-Rob
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Chris was correct, any services added or changed before Aug 1, 2012 are not subject to usage fees at this time.

What data cap are pre Aug 1 customers subject to? 250GB for all tiers of service?
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL

JTR

(sorry for the double post, I'm used to forums that merge recent posts)

We are technically unlimited now.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
What's the point of the meter if it's this far behind?

From the caption under my usage that still shows 0 for this month...
Data usage above as measured by Mediacom as of 8/7/2012 02:20. Note that recent usage may not be included in this amount due to routine or other delays in data usage aggregation and reporting.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

Click for full size
And... Why since I have Ultra 50 does it say I ONLY have 250 GB to use??

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970

that's what mine says. but i'm grandfathered in on the old system since i haven't made any changes in my account. my usage is a little higher then yours though

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to IowaMan

Premium Member

to IowaMan
UNLESS YOU MADE CHANGES AFTER 08/01/2012 the cap will be set at 250 GB but it will NOT be enforced. So anyone with Internet service started before 08/01/2012 will not have to deal with overage charges and will see the 250 GB on their meter.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by Anonymous88:

UNLESS YOU MADE CHANGES AFTER 08/01/2012 the cap will be set at 250 GB but it will NOT be enforced. So anyone with Internet service started before 08/01/2012 will not have to deal with overage charges and will see the 250 GB on their meter.

So, they're only ripping off "new" customers.