spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14

[TV] What Shaw Direct Equipment do I need to get

What is the difference between these parts? And what should I get for the best HDTV experience?
Dish: 60cm vs 75cm
LNB: Quad or xKu
Receiver: Essential or Advanced (DSR600 vs DSR605)

Here is what I have: 5.1 Home theater system, 42' plasma 1080p TV.
So would I have to hook up the DSR600 or 605 from HDMI out to the HDMI in on the stereo receiver and the HDMI out to the TV? Or would it be better off to run component video out from the receiver to the component video in on the TV and an optical audio out from the receiver to the optical audio in on the stereo?
Also what is the phone jack used for on the DSR605?

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

2 edits

Unlike Optik TV, Shaw supports HDMI on their STB's. You can safely use HDMI between the STB and the HDMI receiver.

The DSR 600 doesn't have component out. It only has coax, RCA, and HDMI outputs. No front facing display on the 600 vs the 605.

The jack on the back is an Ethernet jack, not a phone jack. I think they are inactive, but they can used with media streamers such as the WD Live or be used with MoCA adapters.

As for the dish terminology, that's 'greek' to me. Maybe someone with that knowledge will answer. IMHO, you are better off asking these questions on the DH forums.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
I have anonymous postings turned off.

robman50

said by XT0RT:

As for the dish terminology, that's 'greek' to me. Maybe someone with that knowledge will answer. IMHO, you are better off asking these questions on the DH forums.

Yeah I know what you mean. I know nothing about the dish stuff either. I don't really like the DH forums. I find that they are to 'tight or strict' about their rules. Not as easy going as here on DSLR.

robman50

reply to XT0RT

said by XT0RT:

Unlike Optik TV, Shaw supports HDMI on their STB's. You can safely use HDMI between the STB and the HDMI receiver.

The DSR 600 doesn't have component out. It only has coax, RCA, and HDMI outputs. No front facing display on the 600 vs the 605.

The jack on the back is an Ethernet jack, not a phone jack. I think they are inactive, but they can used with media streamers such as the WD Live or be used with MoCA adapters.

So the DSR600 is basically like the DCX700 than. HDMI (a/v) to the stereo than HDMI out to the TV.

So is it worth the extra $100 to get the DSR605?

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

The DSR600 is pretty much like the DCX700, except the DCX700 has component connectors and a front display panel. No PVR capabilities in the DCX700 either. The HDMI will work either way; Standalone TV or with an HDMI receiver. The older HD units can work the same way as well.

Ask yourself this question: Do you need component connectors? If not, you can live with the DSR600.

--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
I have anonymous postings turned off.

TiberiusX
Premium
join:2011-01-05
Edmonton, AB
reply to robman50

The big difference between the LNBs is whether or not you will be able to receive the new MPEG4 channels when they come online sometime later this year. With the launch of Anik G1, Shaw Direct has all of the xKu capacity which should increase their channel capacity by about 30%. All of these new channels will be encoded in MPEG4, vs MPEG2 as they do now. From the Shaw Broadcast site, this capacity is equal to about 100 HD channels. »www.shawbroadcast.com/main/anikg···g4_e.asp

G1 will be slotted in with F1, which means there will be no need to repoint the dish to get the new channels in the future, just the new xKu LNB.

robman50

Well we plan to ditch Cogeco and get Shaw Direct in November anyway, so would the new xKu LNB be the standard by then or would they still use the older quad LNB?
As for receivers will both the DSR600 and DSR605 support the new MPEG 4?

robman50

said by robman50:

As for receivers will both the DSR600 and DSR605 support the new MPEG 4?

According to this »www.shawbroadcast.com/docs/bulle···EG_4.pdf it seems like the DSR series boxes won't be able to handle MPEG 4. Maybe they will swap the DSR series boxes to the DCX series? and give the customers with the DSR a chance to swap it in for a DCX for free?

TiberiusX
Premium
join:2011-01-05
Edmonton, AB

I would assume the info at the broadcast site would be more applicable to those who use SBS (Shaw Broadcast Services) to supply their channel feeds. Checking the spec sheets for the DSR600/605/630 from the SD site, they all mention MPEG4 capabilities. For confirmation I would contact SD and check with them. I would assume the 6xx units are MPEG4 capable based on what I have seen, but only time will tell.

Spec sheets:
600: »secure.shawdirect.ca/english/sto···heet.pdf
605: »secure.shawdirect.ca/english/sto···heet.pdf
630: »secure.shawdirect.ca/promotions/···cs_e.pdf

robman50

I wonder if the 600 and 605 hardware are MPEG4 compatible but SD would need to send an update to the STB's software enabling the MPEG4 decoder. That way they don't have to ship out new boxes to everyone. As for how they are going to get the current people who have the Quad LNB to swap it in for the xKu LNB, that I have no idea.

robman50

reply to robman50

I need some advice, when I do get Shaw Direct should I get it before or after the launch of the Anik G1?
My plan was to get it sometime in November or should I wait till after they setup the new MPEG4 system (sometime in December or January 2013?)

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

I believe they are giving out the new dishes now, for new installs, but someone else should confirm this.

The terminals are MPEG4 now, so it doesn't matter when they switch to MPEG4 transmissions, the system is ready.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

robman50

reply to robman50

I just received an email from Shaw Direct asking about the hardware and the Anik G1 with the MPEG4.
-----------------------
'Hello Rob,

Thank you for your interest in Shaw Direct services. All our current model of receivers and LNBs are compatible with the MPEG format but the older models will not. The older units will be able to pick up Anik F1 and F2 but will not be able to pick up anything from Anik G1. There are no upgrades or modifications for the older units and we recommend that you pick up the new receivers instead. For customers who have our DSR6XX series receiver but have older dishes, we do offer dish and LNB upgrades.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Please include any previous correspondence with your replies. Have a great day and thank you for choosing Shaw Direct'

--------------------------

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca

so robman50

that means you have to buy brand new receivers. so if that the case, customers will leave in droves.

i guareed you that.

robman50

said by bucko2012 :

that means you have to buy brand new receivers.

I'll just get the DSR600 and an new LNB and dish.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to bucko2012

Bell just did this, they sent customers with the older MPEG2 only HD receivers replacements for free.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.