[Parts Check] Replacing psu on dell studio xps 8100

i7 870
8gb ram
1tb hd
nvidia geforce 310
21" lcd
dvdrw

The original psu was a generic 350watt.

I'm looking to upgrade the gpu later on to a better nvidia card.

Would this corsair work, or is there another brand just as good but less expensive that is recommended?

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17139012
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

RavonTUS

join:2003-10-15
Lafayette, IN
Greetings,

I held my breath as I order a new PS for my XPS 8100 too. There's not much information about the size of the PS.

There are two issues I ran into. First, there are two clips, on the side where the internal cables come out, that hold the PS in place. Second, if your new PS goes past the two cllips, it then bumps into the cables for the USB/MEDIA slots in the top of the case.

I order a LSP650Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply. It was too long, however, with a pair of plyers & side cuts I was able to remove the clips. The cables are of course smashed a bit, but it is working OK.

»www.tigerdirect.com/applications···tId=1483

-Ravon

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Would I be better off getting a psu upgrade from dell instead?

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
reply to RavonTUS
I've never heard of ULTRA. Have they ever used a different name in the past?

Is Corsair at least as good?
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
Ultra is a house brand for Tiger Direct. Quality varies, but some units aren't too bad, though I'd get a higher end Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic, PCP&C, Enermax, or even Antec sooner.