spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

This is a good thing

NextWave was sitting on its spectrum, waiting for a buyer. So even if it's AT&T who's buying, there is some benefit there.

My big question is whether this purchase will result in AT&T using AWS for LTE after all, after giving T-Mobile a lot of its spectrum in that band due to the merger breakup.

WCS will probably end up being used in a similar fashion to Clearwire's 2500MHz spectrum: capacity augmentation in a small-cell context for areas where 700MHz or AWS can't provide enough capacity. Maybe AT&T will do some HomeFusion-esque offering but I wouldn't count on it.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer

said by iansltx:

NextWave was sitting on its spectrum, waiting for a buyer. So even if it's AT&T who's buying, there is some benefit there.

Everyone including AT&T has been sitting on their WCS spectrum because of the interference with SDARS (Sirius XM) concerns.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

NextWave also had AWS in some places. That's more of what I was referring to.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx
at&t offered Wimax before as fixed wireless. They did it in AK and if i'm not mistaken it was done in AR (BS) as well but was later shut down.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Yep, I remember AT&T's WiMAX based fixed wireless service in AK. Sprint had Sprint Broadband Direct too. Those are all gone, however. I'd be surprised if AT&T got back into the fixed broadband business within the next couple of years, using wireless anyway.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
It looks like they're trying to get it up to full power by giving the satellite radio guys 5mhz on either side of their band.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer

said by BiggA:

It looks like they're trying to get it up to full power by giving the satellite radio guys 5mhz on either side of their band.

That's it, give up using the unpaired C and D blocks so that the paired (5 MHz + 5 MHz each) A and B blocks can be used. AT&T is also asking the FCC to consider giving them permission to use the WCS spectrum just as downlink spectrum while using something else (perhaps Lightsquared spectrum) for the uplink. Uplink spectrum is generally less of an interference concern.