All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

DTS or PLII(movie/music/game) upmix

What is the best thing to use to upmix and 2.0 Stereo signal to 5.1 Surround?
I am trying to figure out the difference between these two settings.
The 2.0 stereo feeds that are coming in to my stereo are:
DVD (stereo encoded audio)
computer (mostly 2.0 PCM audio)
FM (2.0 stereo broadcast)
I find with DTS for FM you really need to crank the center speaker up to +5dB. Also I find that PLII Music is a lot more loud.
Relkin
join:2006-03-05
nightmare

Relkin

It really comes down to personal preference. Use the one that sounds best to you. For music I like the 5.1 stereo option that just copies the l/r channels straight to the rear and center. For other 2 channel stuff i use PL2 movie mode.
robman50

robman50

said by Relkin:

For music I like the 5.1 stereo option that just copies the l/r channels straight to the rear and center.

I guess that would be 'all channels stereo'?
Relkin
join:2006-03-05
nightmare

Relkin

Ya, different names from different manufactures. Denon calls it 5.1 stereo.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
pro logic 2 to simulate 5.1
robman50

robman50 to Relkin

to Relkin
My Onyko calls it 'all channels stereo' and my other Pioneer calls it 'EXT.Stereo'
robman50

robman50

Sometimes when I playback an video file on my computer with VLC media player that has DTS encoded audio, my receiver lights up the dts light.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
I like PLII.
Dustyn

Dustyn to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
said by robman50:

Sometimes when I playback an video file on my computer with VLC media player that has DTS encoded audio, my receiver lights up the dts light.

Is it not suppose to do that?

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
said by robman50:

Based on my experience, that's normal. You should get an indication on the Receiver for the type of signal that it is receiving. Should be indicators for DTS, DD5.1, PCM, etc.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
I use "All Channel Stereo" for stereo music sources and PLII Movie for two-channel TV and movie sources.
robman50

robman50 to Dustyn

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

said by robman50:

Is it not suppose to do that?

I think so. All though I never used an PC with HDMI on the receiver before.
robman50

robman50 to JimE

to JimE
said by JimE:

said by robman50:

Based on my experience, that's normal. You should get an indication on the Receiver for the type of signal that it is receiving. Should be indicators for DTS, DD5.1, PCM, etc.

PCM for everything. From the POST screen, to the desktop, and even for my games.