spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bolt1963

join:2011-07-19
Redondo Beach, CA

Thoughts on Verizon picking up the PAC 12 Network?

Since they are the only national carrier to carry the worthless Longhorn Network, been assuming they would carry the PAC 12 network which will have superior content at launch than even the B1G network.

I know these deals go to the last minute, but will definitely have to switch to Time Warner if no carriage deal is announced a week before kick off.

Any thoughts from you savvy FIOS customers? Last second deal? No carriage at all? What say you?

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

I should think they would get it at least in California in SD. As we know, HD is always an arm twister. May see similar situation to Longhorn, where the channel is national in SD, local in HD.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

As long as they carry it, will watch the HD feed online if they do that, no problem.

Just can't imagine them not carrying with how much content the network will carry. Having Tier 1 football content + all the BB coverage - really separates the P12. But damn if I am not getting antsy. I really don't want to switch to Time Warner - and I know the second I make the switch Verizon will agree to a carriage deal.

Ugh. Timing this out is going to suck.

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to Bolt1963

I just checked and got this (for VHO3)

Let Verizon FiOS hear your voice!
Just because Verizon FiOS doesn't carry Pac-12 Networks, doesn't mean they won't. Fill out the form below and let your voice be heard. Every request counts. Send yours in today!

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

Yeah, thanks Andy. I have been hammering that link for a month now. Called in yesterday and of course the rep had no idea what I was talking about.

For anyone on this board that wants to help out ... here is the link to send a request.

»www.pac-12.org/SPORTS/Pac12Netwo···der.aspx

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
reply to Bolt1963

I hope they do only SD if at all. I am tired of all these "regional" sports channels that people want because they were there and then moved. Bad enough that we got stuck with YES here in the Baltimore area. Got to think there are higher priority channels (the normal list BBC, G4, Cartoon, etc) that would garner more viewers.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to Bolt1963

I only hope that if FIOS adds new regional sports networks that they do not pass the cost on to other regions. They should either be included into the local sports channels for those regions (this way the cost is borne by those within the region) or part of the FIOS sports package.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

Its more than a regional sports network. People across the country are interested in Tier 1 college football content. The PAC 12 network gets first choice over ESPN and Fox three times a football season. So Oregon at USC could be on the P12 network.

HD was made for sports. I can't watch sports in SD and don't know anyone who can. Its intolerable.

As for pricing. For all the other providers with carriage deals, it is basic within the footprint and on a sports tier outside the footprint.

Sports content is king for a reason. Not only ratings - but they get LIVE viewership.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

2 edits

said by Bolt1963:

Its more than a regional sports network. People across the country are interested in Tier 1 college football content.

For all the other providers with carriage deals, it is basic within the footprint and on a sports tier outside the footprint

Thats why I wrote "or part of the FIOS sports package" for those outside the region. I do not want FIOS to mimic what they have done with BTN and Longhorn where they have included them within the ExtremeHD and UltimateHD packages outside their local region.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Bolt1963

The unending sprout of regional sports networks is just going to push subscriber fees to ridiculous levels. There's no reason for them. None. All the big games are on network or major cable channels. Not these regionals, especially for college.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

bohratom - was speaking more to the post above yours.

Greg - The P12 Network will carry up to 4 live college football games a week and has access to Tier 1, 2 and 3 content. They will replay all conference games throughout the week - whether it was broadcast on ESPN, FOX, FX or P12. It will have the biggest game in the P12 at least three times a year. The content is very much going to be in demand - especially in Los Angeles. If FIOS needs to add it to a sports tier for outside the footprint - would have no problem with it. I understand not everyone is going to watch P12 football and basketball (where every BB game will be televised).

A poster said there were higher priority channels like BBC and G4? I can say without any hesitation, I won't ever watch a second of those channels and don't know anyone else who will either. Different strokes.

FIOS will lose a TON of their Los Angeles market if they choose not to carry. Wasn't too worried since the P12 already has carriage deals with every major cable company and will sign DTV before launch. That leaves FIOS and U-Verse. I don't have any experience with FIOS and carriage deals - was hoping someone knew how they typically evolve.

webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to Bolt1963

Thanks for the link. I voiced my opinion, and will keep doing so, periodically.

I also do the same periodically for 3Net, on their site. I just figure that FiOS should/need at least a Second 3D Channel by now. And I think 3Net has some good programming.

I say 3Net because I know it is not tied down to DirecTV (like N3D is). It is just the 1st Provider to carry it.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Bolt1963

Bolt there's a difference between adding a regional sports network in certain home regions, and adding it nationwide. Versus had Pac-10 football for awhile, nobody on the East coast watched it.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

3 edits

There are plenty of PAC 12 alums living on the east coast. College sports aren't regional and with the P12 having Tier 1 rights, any college football fan is going to want to watch Oregon at USC this season. That's the competitive edge. At the very least, it needs to be available on a sports tier. B1G is nationwide and the P12 Net will have better quality content as well as quantity with over 35 live football games and 130 live basketball games.

There are 6 Regional Networks and 1 National. If they don't carry the regionals locally, they must carry the National.

FIOS will lose a significant portion of the LA market if they screw this up. Really not looking forward to switching to Time Warner, will give it three more weeks.

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

Bolt there's a difference between adding a regional sports network in certain home regions, and adding it nationwide. Versus had Pac-10 football for awhile, nobody on the East coast watched it.

...except for my daughter in Florida who is a huge USC fan!

xocsucram

join:2008-10-02
reply to Bolt1963

these specific conference channels are pointless, all the major games are on CBS, NBC or ESPN/ABC or any of the additional channels nobody even thinks of like CSPAN or some other channel that gets converted into a sportsnetwork for that 1 game.

the Texas OU game will never be on Longhorn Network

any other major Big 12 games including Texas wont be

if theres an actual B12 Network they dont carry any major OU/TTech/Longhorns..even Baylor when they got hot last year in the Heisman race

Michigan Ohio State will never be on Big10

USC Notre Dame game will never be on Pac10

Cal/UCLA USC will never be on Pac10

Oregon ect... major games will never be on Pact10

and the SEC which is the conference that matters is already on CBS or ESPN with 'sec network' shown on the boxscore, whether its even a real network or just something they negotiated during their games

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by xocsucram:

these specific conference channels are pointless, all the major games are on CBS, NBC or ESPN/ABC or any of the additional channels nobody even thinks of like CSPAN or some other channel that gets converted into a sportsnetwork for that 1 game.

Guess you didn't read the thread you were responding to.

Yes, USC vs. Notre Dame could be on the P12 Network. USC vs. Oregon. Any high profile P12 game could be on their network since they get first pick three times during the season.

And the P12 Network couldn't be more different than that worthless piece of crap the Longhorn Network. Not only is ESPN fully regretting the colossal mistake, that network destroyed the Big XII. Hell, the only reason the Big XII-IV+II still exists is b/c Texas only cares about their branding and having power over the little schools left with no other options. That and the P12 didn't take Oklahoma and their worthless little brother Lite.

But you are right, nothing content wise on LHN is worth a look unless you live in Texas.

The P12 Network on the other hand has TWELVE schools that are the flagship universities for the West Coast. Even when they don't have first pick, they will still be carrying 2-4 games a week that many CFB fans will watch. Washington vs. Arizona State may not be an elite match up, but will still draw decent ratings.

Bottom line - the P12 Network has raised the bar significantly being 100% conference owned with Tier 1-3 content. In addition 130+ live basketball games, olympic sports, academic showcase, etc.

And last note - ESPN and CBS over paid the SEC at the time so they wouldn't start a SEC Net. But that is why you saw them add TAMU and Missouri this year, so they can re-negotiate during their look in next year. Don't be surprised to see a SEC network soon.

lakerfan82

join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

Amen Bolt!

Verizon needs to understand that for many of us, FiOS is just a means to watch our favorite sports teams. We don't care about 90% of the channels we get as long as we can get ESPN, local RSNs, and channels that carry national sports such as TNT, MLB Net, NBA tv, NFL Net. If Verizon is going to prevent us from seeing the Pac-12 Network (UCLA & USC coverage will be switching from FSN to Pac-12 Net) and Time Warner SportsNet (Laker coverage and possibly Dodger coverage after 2013 will switch from FSW to SportsNet) then there is no point for many of us to subscribe to FiOS!

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

I called this morning and to no surprise the rep I spoke to hadn't a clue what I was talking about. Regardless, I asked she please take a note that if no carriage deal is announced by the 20th, I am switching to Time Warner.

Suggest you do the same. More calls can't hurt.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Bolt1963

Look my point is that if Verizon adds every one of these RSN's nationally, it's only going to increase the bills. It's bad enough we have to pay a ransom to ESPN. And to use an HD slot for a channel that will have a "few" Saturday's of moderately watched action? Same as the Big Ten channel, 99% of the time unless you have a Big Ten fetish, you're not watching that network. Let Pac-12 go the NHL or MLB route and offer the channel for next to nothing....

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

Greg,

I would tend to agree with you on the RSNs, I don't really have much interest in YES, SNY, or NESN, especially if out-of-market customers are blacked out of games.

The Pac-12 is asking for $.90/subscriber in Pac-12 markets and much less (MLB or NHL Net rates @ ~$.25/subscriber »paidcontent.org/2012/04/06/by-th···ramming/) for out-of-market subscribers. In addition, Verizon will likely put the Pac-12 National network on the Extreme HD tier in the out-of-market areas so not everyone will bear the cost of this channel. Pac-12 markets will bear the brunt of it, just as it should be.

You should also keep in mind that many people only subscribe to cable so they can watch their favorite teams, college & professional. Those "sports nuts" are also subsidizing the overwhelming majority of channels that they otherwise would not watch if they didn't have to subscribe to cable to watch their teams.

Obviously, the answer to all this is a la carte. Everyone has different tastes, so everyone would just subscribe to the channels they wanted, when they wanted them. MLB not in season? Why would I subscribe during the winter? Breaking Bad out of season? Stop subscribing to AMC. Unfortunately, you may be surprised that many (not all) of the non-sport channels would probably not survive very long...

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA
reply to Greg2600

I understand your point and said I would agree it should be presented on a sports tier.

Where you lose me however is arguing about taking up space on what will be a well watched channel. You may not watch it, but it will have a solid core audience of fanatics as well as peripheral viewers.

As lakerfan pointed out, I will watch many many hours of the P12 Network, regardless where I live in the country vs. 80% of the channels currently occupying my HD channels and BILL.

And a regional sports channel are the Fox Sports Channels. CFB isn't regional and we are talking about the 6 largest states in the West Coast with 8 of the top 33 TV markets in the country.

I have no allegiance to any B1G program outside of being a CFB fan and have watched plenty of that channel out here in CA. Understanding I am an exception, which is why I agree it needs to be on a sports tier. Something I believe the P12 will agree to considering CA is the only FIOS market within the footprint.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

greg - this Andy Staples article on CFB rights fees will probably make you sick, but its a good read. Long, but good.

»sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w···ter_feed

The fierce loyalty of college football fans was especially effective in helping ESPN hit the mother lode of subscriber fees. As the extended recent spat between Dish Network and AMC has shown, viewers aren't calling in droves to cancel their service if they miss scripted shows -- even shows as excellent as Mad Men and Breaking Bad. But if viewers think they might miss their favorite college football team's game, they'll threaten to cancel their cable service and install a satellite dish or cancel their dish service and hook up their cable. The same applies for fans of the professional leagues, and ESPN executives realized that by stockpiling rights for games viewers felt they couldn't live without, they could strong-arm carriers into paying inflated subscriber fees which would then be passed along to customers.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

Bryan Fischer of CBS Sports is reporting that DirecTV and Verizon are nearing deals for the Pac-12 Network. A teleconference is scheduled for later today and the network would be ready by the start of football season... »twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status···84078336

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state
reply to Bolt1963

What Verizon really needs to do is put all these RSN's into a dedicated package for those people who actually care about them, in the process they could move them all to MPEG4 or IP based and free up room for the channels people really want. BBC, Cartoon Network, G4 (Yea this one is a joke but some people want it) and several others are a lot more important to people then these idiotic out of market RSN's, yea they may be important to people in those markets but like crgauth why should those of us in Maryland be paying for YES or the other out of market RSN's when very few people here gives a crap about them.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

said by flashcore:

free up room for the channels people really want. BBC, Cartoon Network, G4

I can appreciate your point of view, but that is quite the assumption thinking people care about those channels. What the hell are they and why do you want them? If we ever go to ala carte programming, sports channels are the only ones I will bother subscribing to. If those channels you are talking about have original programming, aren't they on netflix or something? I have been watching full seasons of network shows on hulu or netflix for years at my own convenience.

Sports programming is LIVE TV. And P12 is nearly the entire west coast with a ton more programming than YES. (which I agree with you on).

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA
reply to lakerfan82

Thanks for the link lakerfan82.

The news wasn't as encouraging after the teleconference - but still solid.

* Regarding potential distribution deals with DirecTV, Dish, AT&T and Verizon, Stevenson said:

“There’s nothing I’ve heard that’s discouraging from any of them. I don’t expect them all on at launch, but we believe … over time our fans will get what they want.”

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1

PAC12 is scheduled for COMCAST....
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

Yeah, carriage deals are in place with the largest 4 cable companies. COX, Time Warner, Comcast and BrightHouse along with many smaller carriers. So we all are going to have options. Just waiting on the SATs and TELCOs

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to Bolt1963

What I wonder is if they will add this (whenever it happens) to Ultimate only or also Extreme.