Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to lakerfan82

Re: Thoughts on Verizon picking up the PAC 12 Network?

said by lakerfan82:

FiOS adds the HD Pac-12 Los Angeles Network as an RSN to their southern California customers (prime HD and above) on the day before the 1st football game. The Pac-12 National gets added as an SD channel to all customers subscribing to Ultimate HD or a sports tier.

I have no issue with what you layed out as long as they do not add the National feed to the UltimateHD tier. Longhorn network and Pac-12 both should be part of the sports tier. I have a strong feeling though that it won't as the Pac-12 is going to want a larger base to take carriage fees from.

Bolt1963

join:2011-07-19
Redondo Beach, CA

To be fair though, the PAC 12 Network is a completely different animal than the Longhorn Network. How ESPN pushed a single carriage deal outside of Texas is beyond me. Even if I were a Texas alum/fan, it would be limited IMO.

Cobbler - one area I really do not agree with the PAC 12 Network structure is their TV everywhere. They are requiring both your cable and internet providers to have carriage deals to have access. Up until that was announced a couple weeks ago, figured worst case I would switch to Time Warner for internet and watch the games streaming in HD on my computer or stream it to my TV. Unfortunate they are putting that limitation on us.

But to my point. If Verizon carries the channel in SD - if you have internet with FIOS too, at least you will be able to stream the games in HD.

lakerfan82

join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

Bolt, the Pac 12 will not require BOTH your Pay TV and Internet providers to have carriage deals with the conference, you only have to authenticate through your pay-tv provider and you must subscribe to the package that actually contains the channel (ie if Verizon only has the National Network on their Ultimate HD tier, then you won't get the TV Everywhere streaming unless you subscribe to Ultimate HD, or Prime HD in the case of Southern California subscribers assuming my scenario above is the case). They just want to make sure you are paying for the channel, preventing people from cutting the cord. Jon Wilner of San Jose Mercury News was able to get a clarification from the conference regarding exactly that point (»blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo···n-front/).

Regarding your comments on the Longhorn Network, what you say is true. Another scenario that makes sense is that since these channels will likely be released in MPEG-4 format, Verizon will broadcast the national channel in HD MPEG-4 format on their systems, which would take up less space and force the customers who want the channel to upgrade their boxes to the 7xxx series boxes, similar to what they do with the MLB Extra Innings channels. However, I still think the Pac-12 National will end up on Ultimate HD (or sports tiers in markets that have them).

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

Thanks for the correction, I misspoke. Was so caught up with the TV carriage I twisted it around a little.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

1 edit
reply to Bolt1963

said by Bolt1963:

To be fair though, the PAC 12 Network is a completely different animal than the Longhorn Network. How ESPN pushed a single carriage deal outside of Texas is beyond me.

You answered your own question.......ESPN has alot of clout as their carriage fees are the highest in the market, around $4.50/subscriber which allows them to pressure/entice providers regarding other channels.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

Yeah, I know. But Verizon is really the only carrier to cave -- will be interesting if ESPN ever really gets any penetration with the garbage content they have.

Obviously I am sports nut. But even I think ESPN is way too big. So big, they can afford a mistake as big as LHN.

xocsucram

join:2008-10-02
reply to Bolt1963

said by Bolt1963:

said by xocsucram:

these specific conference channels are pointless, all the major games are on CBS, NBC or ESPN/ABC or any of the additional channels nobody even thinks of like CSPAN or some other channel that gets converted into a sportsnetwork for that 1 game.

Guess you didn't read the thread you were responding to.

Yes, USC vs. Notre Dame could be on the P12 Network. USC vs. Oregon. Any high profile P12 game could be on their network since they get first pick three times during the season.

college teams and conferences require national exposure, not exclusivity.

they need it for media voters, its not a professional league where you can go 7-9 in a weak NFC West 2 years ago as the Seahawks and guarantee a playoff spot.

NCAA has a room of individuals who base it on how each team will impact ratings compared to a team that is on CBS or ESPN each week and will generate more revenue for the bowl game, and with the new playoff system that type of negotiating will be even heavier implied than the BCS system

the way the college system works doesnt work well with holding out viewers, like other leagues do, NFL network for example or NBA TV which have exclusive games but they arent marquee games, these conference channels are basically just secondary coverage for die-hard fans of those schools, outside of the actual marquee games.

USC or other Pac-12 schools wont help its recruiting if highschool kids on the east coast cant see their games start only appearing on the Pac-10 network which might not be carried by non-west coast providers

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

3 edits

Very much aware how CFB works. Having premium Tier 1 content is one reason they are launching with such big numbers and carriage deals. 48 million TV homes nationwide and counting. So whereas it's not OTA broadcast content, it will be available to most the country on either basic cable or a sports tier.

Direct TV deal is nearly done. If Verizon doesn't step up, will have Time Warner or Direct TV to switch to. Doubt Verizon is willing to take that kind of hit in Los Angeles (UCLA, USC and a crap load of P12 alumni) or the East Coast.

College Football fans are fanatical, providers know their customers will switch in a second.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

Time to email a few of the FiOS TV folks on this page and let them know we want the channel... »newscenter.verizon.com/media-con···ces.html

Expand your moderator at work

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA
reply to lakerfan82

Re: Thoughts on Verizon picking up the PAC 12 Network?

Network(s) are live.

Ugh, hearing from my friends how great it looks. MUST GET CARRIAGE DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

webcobbler

@verizon.net

Bolt,

I assume that your friends also have FiOS ?

If so, I can;t wait to get this channel in HD.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

Nope. Friends have Time Warner and Comcast - spread all over the country.

Only complaint is having to look at Skippy's (Rick Neuheisel) mug.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to Bolt1963

FIOSTV on twitter just tweeted

"Thanks for the requests for new channels.We are working to give you the best sports channel choices.Stay tuned for announcements"

Could it be.......

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

They could be referring to several different channels (CBSSN, PAC-12Net, BeIn Sports, GolTV, Lakers RSN) but it certainly doesn't hurt!

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

I imagine that VZ will do what they did with Longhorn - give the channel nationally to everyone in SD, and in HD to the regional areas (which I only think covers California).

The National SD channel went live on Comcast in my area this morning.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

JeepMatt - that would work for most IMO. There will be some P12 people on the East Coast and Texas who don't like it, but as I mentioned earlier, at least it would give them access to the P12 Digital Network which for me is just as good. Stream it to the TV or watch it on your monitor.... in HD.

PAC 12 Digital Network is a game changer for sports programming IMO. IPads/tablets are around the corner, then smartphones. Will never miss a game again.

»video.pac-12.com/#

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

Looks like DirecTV is close to a deal for the Pac-12 Network (»twitter.com/PAC12insider/status/···96389120 ; »twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status···39726848)... hopefully this puts some pressure on Verizon to finish up a deal before football season starts....

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

Yep - hopefully the remaining domino's fall after DirecTV gets it done.

Confident it will happen, but hate the wait with game day approaching.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

not that verizon actually cares, but here is the link that everyone who wants the channel can go and vote for Verizon to add the Pac-12 Network...»forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your···p/308043

And of course, as stated above, hammer the FiOS email addresses on this site as well...»newscenter.verizon.com/media-con···ces.html

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to Bolt1963

IMHO if Verizon doesn't have the bandwidth they need to pull the Longhorn Network and replace it with the PAC 12 Network, if that's their only option.

And it's not about area served, Los Angeles the 2nd largest city in the US is in the demographic which alone blows away Austin (much less Dallas) never mind adding San Francisco, Phoenix, Tucson, Denver & Salt Lake City.

Verizon needs to add it or replace a niche channel to add it in lieu of.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by Andy from CA:

IMHO if Verizon doesn't have the bandwidth they need to pull the Longhorn Network and replace it with the PAC 12 Network, if that's their only option.

And it's not about area served, Los Angeles the 2nd largest city in the US is in the demographic which alone blows away Austin (much less Dallas) never mind adding San Francisco, Phoenix, Tucson, Denver & Salt Lake City.

Dallas is DMA #5 we are close to being as big as Socal except our population is little bit smaller but I bet land mass is about the same DMA wise.

Here is what I think should be done with the PAC12 national SD/HD on verizon add them to the sports tier and make PAC12 HD MPEG4.

LA/Palm Springs should get PAC12 LA SD/HD and PAC12 national SD/HD.

I find it interesting that TWC is adding TWC Sportsnet and TWC Deportes in SD and HD in Dallas which will be a national version of the channel.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA
reply to Andy from CA

said by Andy from CA:

this... Pac-12 Network will be carrying 35 football games, many of which are tier 1 & 2 games and somewhere in the neighborhood of 135 basketball games. In comparison, the Longhorn Network has at most 1 or 2 football games against directional U and maybe a few basketball games, if that. The content on Pac-12 Net is far superior to that of the LHN...

I am, however, fully in favor of bringing these channels online as MPEG-4 channels and forcing those who care about it to upgrade their boxes. That goes for every new channel add.

celticpride

@verizon.net

I read on twitter that DIRECTV is close to getting the pac-12 network while DISH is not likely I predict verizon will have this network, I think it would be a big mistake not to carry it!

vectorvictor

join:2012-08-21
reply to lakerfan82

A point of order here--the Longwhorn Network does actually have other lesser FBS schools playing their games on their 'channel'.

Case-in-point, the upcoming Texas Tech vs. Texas State game, which Texas Tech has threatened to forfeit if the game will be broadcast live on the Longwhorn Network.

Otherwise, yes, the Longwhorn Network has nothing on the Pac-12 Network or the Big Ten Network...and at the rate of adoption and expansion, it probably won't be long for this world anyway.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

Anger. Is. BUILDING!

Come on Verizon, step your game up.

celticpride

@verizon.net

Its time for verizon to step up and get ALL the pac-12 network channels in HD! Its time for verizon to put pressure on directv for a change instead of the other way around. Oh well i dont know why i worry about it,the longer i go without the nba league pass in HD the more i think about leaving fios tv .

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

UCLA starts football Thursday night and USC starts on Saturday. Both games are on local HD stations here but it would certainly be nice if Verizon could step up to carrying the PAC-12 network this week.

And, yes, I've sent the e-mail suggested by the PAC-12 network web site.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

4 edits

Unfortunately, UCLA is on CBS Sports Network, which FiOS still does not carry in HD. At least next week they will be on FOX HD but after that I will be worried if Verizon still does not have a deal...

By the way here is another reminder to keep the pressure up by requesting the Pac-12 Network at this website: »pac-12.com/AboutPac-12Enterprise···der.aspx

Also, email the FiOS TV folks at this website and tell them you want the channel or you plan to cancel: »newscenter.verizon.com/media-con···ces.html

Finally, vote for the channel at Verizon's idea page here (currently 4,500+ views on this thread and only ~30 votes? Need to do better): »forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your···p/308043

Keep the pressure up!

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
reply to celticpride

There are plenty of us that would would prefer other channels than these local college network sports channels.