Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to Bolt1963

Re: Thoughts on Verizon picking up the PAC 12 Network?

IMHO if Verizon doesn't have the bandwidth they need to pull the Longhorn Network and replace it with the PAC 12 Network, if that's their only option.

And it's not about area served, Los Angeles the 2nd largest city in the US is in the demographic which alone blows away Austin (much less Dallas) never mind adding San Francisco, Phoenix, Tucson, Denver & Salt Lake City.

Verizon needs to add it or replace a niche channel to add it in lieu of.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by Andy from CA:

IMHO if Verizon doesn't have the bandwidth they need to pull the Longhorn Network and replace it with the PAC 12 Network, if that's their only option.

And it's not about area served, Los Angeles the 2nd largest city in the US is in the demographic which alone blows away Austin (much less Dallas) never mind adding San Francisco, Phoenix, Tucson, Denver & Salt Lake City.

Dallas is DMA #5 we are close to being as big as Socal except our population is little bit smaller but I bet land mass is about the same DMA wise.

Here is what I think should be done with the PAC12 national SD/HD on verizon add them to the sports tier and make PAC12 HD MPEG4.

LA/Palm Springs should get PAC12 LA SD/HD and PAC12 national SD/HD.

I find it interesting that TWC is adding TWC Sportsnet and TWC Deportes in SD and HD in Dallas which will be a national version of the channel.

lakerfan82

join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA
reply to Andy from CA
said by Andy from CA:

this... Pac-12 Network will be carrying 35 football games, many of which are tier 1 & 2 games and somewhere in the neighborhood of 135 basketball games. In comparison, the Longhorn Network has at most 1 or 2 football games against directional U and maybe a few basketball games, if that. The content on Pac-12 Net is far superior to that of the LHN...

I am, however, fully in favor of bringing these channels online as MPEG-4 channels and forcing those who care about it to upgrade their boxes. That goes for every new channel add.

celticpride

@verizon.net
I read on twitter that DIRECTV is close to getting the pac-12 network while DISH is not likely I predict verizon will have this network, I think it would be a big mistake not to carry it!

vectorvictor

join:2012-08-21
reply to lakerfan82
A point of order here--the Longwhorn Network does actually have other lesser FBS schools playing their games on their 'channel'.

Case-in-point, the upcoming Texas Tech vs. Texas State game, which Texas Tech has threatened to forfeit if the game will be broadcast live on the Longwhorn Network.

Otherwise, yes, the Longwhorn Network has nothing on the Pac-12 Network or the Big Ten Network...and at the rate of adoption and expansion, it probably won't be long for this world anyway.

Bolt1963

join:2011-07-19
Redondo Beach, CA
Anger. Is. BUILDING!

Come on Verizon, step your game up.

celticpride

@verizon.net
Its time for verizon to step up and get ALL the pac-12 network channels in HD! Its time for verizon to put pressure on directv for a change instead of the other way around. Oh well i dont know why i worry about it,the longer i go without the nba league pass in HD the more i think about leaving fios tv .

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting
UCLA starts football Thursday night and USC starts on Saturday. Both games are on local HD stations here but it would certainly be nice if Verizon could step up to carrying the PAC-12 network this week.

And, yes, I've sent the e-mail suggested by the PAC-12 network web site.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA

4 edits
Unfortunately, UCLA is on CBS Sports Network, which FiOS still does not carry in HD. At least next week they will be on FOX HD but after that I will be worried if Verizon still does not have a deal...

By the way here is another reminder to keep the pressure up by requesting the Pac-12 Network at this website: »pac-12.com/AboutPac-12Enterprise···der.aspx

Also, email the FiOS TV folks at this website and tell them you want the channel or you plan to cancel: »newscenter.verizon.com/media-con···ces.html

Finally, vote for the channel at Verizon's idea page here (currently 4,500+ views on this thread and only ~30 votes? Need to do better): »forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your···p/308043

Keep the pressure up!

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
reply to celticpride
There are plenty of us that would would prefer other channels than these local college network sports channels.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
Yes, these sports channels are getting out of control. Every week there seems to be a new one. How do they expect all the cable providers to carry them all?

skierrob

join:2012-08-13
Signal Hill, CA
reply to Bolt1963
Why should my bill keep going up because of all these new sports networks? Come on -- there wasn't enough room on Fox Sports for these games?

I hope Verizon and all the other providers fight tooth and nail against Time Warner's attempt to grab yet more dollars from my pocket by attempting to force Verizon to carry this channel in its basic tiers.

Either put the games back on the original sports networks, or provide these channels as ala-carte options only for the people who want to watch the games.

I mean -- in Los Angeles right now Verizon already has to pay about $4.80 for ESPN, another $2 - $3 for Fox Sports, and now there is a new PAC 12 network that wants about $1 a subscriber and also coming soon a new Lakers network that will also want more money?

Sports is killing the cost of cable. Completely ridiculous costs compared to non-sports programming.... it is my understanding that channels like History and Science Channel get paid less than 30 cents for each subscriber.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to Bolt1963
I have the same opinion of Pac-12 as I do beIN soccer, NO!! It's unfortunate for the fans, but it's getting way out of control. Let these channels be PPV like FSC Plus is. It's not Verizon or the customer's fault that the sports leagues continue to do this for monetary gain. Stop building their stadiums with tax money and stop allowing them to make billions off people who don't watch them.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA
As discussed previously, the large majority of sports fans only subscribe to cable so they can watch their favorite teams. I'd be up for a sports only package that included the local RSNs, ESPNs, League Sports Channels, TBS, TNT, & FX. No doubt it would still be pretty expensive. However, many of the 100s of other variety channels that the "sports nuts" are forced to subsidize wouldn't be long for this world...everyone has their own tastes. This thread is about the Pac-12 Network... lets try to keep it on topic if possible...

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA
And I don't understand why I have to pay for BRAVO, A&E, HGTV, MTV, TBS, etc.

Go complain on the thread about winning programming like Cartoons or BBC America. My lord. I am not in that thread whining about having to pay for that crap.

Sports programming drives the bus. Sorry.

skierrob

join:2012-08-13
Signal Hill, CA
No, you aren't because Verizon only has to pay Bravo, A&E, HGTV, etc. about 10 to 20 cents a channel.

We are whining because ESPN alone charges $5 a customer and all the other sports channels are also ridiculously expensive.

It's about the ridiculous cost of sports programming vs the much lower cost of other channels.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Bolt1963
Verizon should go back to using a sports package like the other providers often do. It's the only fair way. I'm thinking of lots of people who don't even watch ESPN and get raked over the coals because of them.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
They have a sports package for people on Prime & Extreme

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting
I have no problem with the PAC-12 network being on an extra-cost sports network. I just want to see FiOS add these channels. Supposedly they are in "negotiations" but the football season starts Thursday night.

As a college football fan I would sign up for these channels from September through November at least.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to Bolt1963
said by Bolt1963:

And I don't understand why I have to pay for BRAVO, A&E, HGTV, MTV, TBS, etc.

Go complain on the thread about winning programming like Cartoons or BBC America. My lord. I am not in that thread whining about having to pay for that crap.

Sports programming drives the bus. Sorry.

You are correct it drives the RATE bus, everyone pisses and moans when the rates go up, what is driving that, sports channels. As someone else pointed out, those channels you mentioned all cost $0.10 to $0.20 per subscriber (except for MTV, and if I could I would get rid of every single M(ORON)TV channel there is) while all the sports channels are anywhere frm $1.00 to $6.00 per subscriber.
--
Verizon is becoming the new Comcast

Those .tv channels have got to go!!!!!!!!!!

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

1 edit
said by Strommy:

You are correct it drives the RATE bus, everyone pisses and moans when the rates go up, what is driving that, sports channels. As someone else pointed out, those channels you mentioned all cost $0.10 to $0.20 per subscriber (except for MTV, and if I could I would get rid of every single M(ORON)TV channel there is) while all the sports channels are anywhere frm $1.00 to $6.00 per subscriber.

I threw out a few channels and could add 100 more, they add up. I don't watch TV other than Sports Programming.

You and others don't watch Sports. OK. Fair enough. Like I said, I could bitch and whine about every channel in my package for the most part and know many others who could too.

I understand sports programming is expensive and in high demand. Its viewership is live and in real time. Really the only reason people SHOULD have cable. As a matter of fact, I am completely at a loss why anyone would have cable that doesn't watch sports. Pick up a season of whatever show you watch on DVD or subscribe to HULU or something.

I do agree that sooner or later we will be at a breaking point with ala carte - but your favorite channels that are only costing .10 cents are going to cost much more once we can cut the chord. Same will go for sports obviously - but they will get it and survive.

Again, this is a thread about Verizon keeping subscribers. They are nearly out of time, so you guys won't have to worry about us if they don't carry. Of course they will be forced to carry sooner or later with the great content the network will have - but will be too late for many. Why these negotiations never make sense to me.

One last thing. I don't know how much I pay for YES, but there is definitely a channel that has no business being available nationally since no Yankee games are available outside NY. Now THAT is a waste, we can agree there.

lakerfan82

Corona, CA
Let's get back on topic guys, this is a thread about Pac-12 Network and whether or not Verizon has any plans to carry it. Mods, can someone please delete or move the posts related to sports vs variety channels and a la carte, etc to a new thread?

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA

1 edit
Wilner says no DirecTV deal this week. Less pressure on Verizon. We all know DirecTV is going to get done eventually, do not understand what is gained by dragging it out.

EDIT - another Wilner tweet.

Also: There will be no deals this week btwn Pac12 and Charter and Fios. (Checking on Dish and U-verse)

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Bolt1963:

Wilner says no DirecTV deal this week. Less pressure on Verizon. We all know DirecTV is going to get done eventually, do not understand what is gained by dragging it out.

EDIT - another Wilner tweet.

Also: There will be no deals this week btwn Pac12 and Charter and Fios. (Checking on Dish and U-verse)

$$$$$$'s

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to billhere
said by billhere:

I have no problem with the PAC-12 network being on an extra-cost sports network. I just want to see FiOS add these channels. Supposedly they are in "negotiations" but the football season starts Thursday night.

As a college football fan I would sign up for these channels from September through November at least.

You have no problem, but Pac-12 sure does! They don't want that. Again, what is Verizon's foothold in Pac-12 territory? Not much anymore, after selling off Oregon/Washington to Frontier. And boy, without DirecTV on board, even less pressure as was said. College football has become a total farce. There are a half dozen programs who can legitimately buy their way to the national championship, and that's about it. The rest of the teams are just playing for the sake of it, and the mega-TV deals are definitely part of it. The conference destruction of the last few years is ALL driven by Football TV money, and I feel it's going to ruin the sport.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
said by Greg2600:

The conference destruction of the last few years is ALL driven by Football TV money, and I feel it's going to ruin the sport.

Not to mention the collateral damage (e.g. Big East basketball).

rantanamo

@verizon.net
I guess everyone that goes to college in PAC 12 country stays there all their lives? Sorry, but these college channels are national channels, like it or not.

Bolt1963

Redondo Beach, CA
Regrettably, I made the switch and it turns out, Time Warner was less expensive. My bill all in with Verizon was $230 and some change- Time Warner I am down to $196. Just an added bonus to having access to the PAC 12 Networks.

For those who have the option, suggest you go ahead and pull the trigger. Screw Verizon.

dcowboy

join:2012-05-10
Stupid time warner doesnt have NFL Network or RedZone so forget it.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Bolt1963
PAC-12 network is not a good reason to switch to TWC, which is nationally panned as one of the worst services. To lose NFL Network/Red Zone to gain PAC-12, no thanks.

FYI, Frontier FIOS up in the Pacific NW have added PAC-12 Network in SD and HD, as well as PAC-12 Oregon and PAC-12 Washington.

Also, keep in mind that DirecTV, Dish Network, Verizon FiOS nor AT&T U-verse have added this network. Cablevision and I think Comcast don't have it either. So again like beIN sport I find it crazy that it's the provider's fault because the leagues went for a money grab.