uniqs

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to crgauth

Premium Member

to crgauth

Re: Thoughts on Verizon picking up the PAC 12 Network?

Yes, these sports channels are getting out of control. Every week there seems to be a new one. How do they expect all the cable providers to carry them all?
skierrob
join:2012-08-13
Signal Hill, CA

skierrob to Bolt1963

to Bolt1963
Why should my bill keep going up because of all these new sports networks? Come on -- there wasn't enough room on Fox Sports for these games?

I hope Verizon and all the other providers fight tooth and nail against Time Warner's attempt to grab yet more dollars from my pocket by attempting to force Verizon to carry this channel in its basic tiers.

Either put the games back on the original sports networks, or provide these channels as ala-carte options only for the people who want to watch the games.

I mean -- in Los Angeles right now Verizon already has to pay about $4.80 for ESPN, another $2 - $3 for Fox Sports, and now there is a new PAC 12 network that wants about $1 a subscriber and also coming soon a new Lakers network that will also want more money?

Sports is killing the cost of cable. Completely ridiculous costs compared to non-sports programming.... it is my understanding that channels like History and Science Channel get paid less than 30 cents for each subscriber.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Bolt1963

to Bolt1963
I have the same opinion of Pac-12 as I do beIN soccer, NO!! It's unfortunate for the fans, but it's getting way out of control. Let these channels be PPV like FSC Plus is. It's not Verizon or the customer's fault that the sports leagues continue to do this for monetary gain. Stop building their stadiums with tax money and stop allowing them to make billions off people who don't watch them.

lakerfan82
join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

lakerfan82

As discussed previously, the large majority of sports fans only subscribe to cable so they can watch their favorite teams. I'd be up for a sports only package that included the local RSNs, ESPNs, League Sports Channels, TBS, TNT, & FX. No doubt it would still be pretty expensive. However, many of the 100s of other variety channels that the "sports nuts" are forced to subsidize wouldn't be long for this world...everyone has their own tastes. This thread is about the Pac-12 Network... lets try to keep it on topic if possible...
Bolt1963
join:2011-07-19
Redondo Beach, CA

Bolt1963

And I don't understand why I have to pay for BRAVO, A&E, HGTV, MTV, TBS, etc.

Go complain on the thread about winning programming like Cartoons or BBC America. My lord. I am not in that thread whining about having to pay for that crap.

Sports programming drives the bus. Sorry.
skierrob
join:2012-08-13
Signal Hill, CA

skierrob

No, you aren't because Verizon only has to pay Bravo, A&E, HGTV, etc. about 10 to 20 cents a channel.

We are whining because ESPN alone charges $5 a customer and all the other sports channels are also ridiculously expensive.

It's about the ridiculous cost of sports programming vs the much lower cost of other channels.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Bolt1963

to Bolt1963
Verizon should go back to using a sports package like the other providers often do. It's the only fair way. I'm thinking of lots of people who don't even watch ESPN and get raked over the coals because of them.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

They have a sports package for people on Prime & Extreme
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

I have no problem with the PAC-12 network being on an extra-cost sports network. I just want to see FiOS add these channels. Supposedly they are in "negotiations" but the football season starts Thursday night.

As a college football fan I would sign up for these channels from September through November at least.
Strommy
join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA

Strommy to Bolt1963

to Bolt1963
said by Bolt1963:

And I don't understand why I have to pay for BRAVO, A&E, HGTV, MTV, TBS, etc.

Go complain on the thread about winning programming like Cartoons or BBC America. My lord. I am not in that thread whining about having to pay for that crap.

Sports programming drives the bus. Sorry.

You are correct it drives the RATE bus, everyone pisses and moans when the rates go up, what is driving that, sports channels. As someone else pointed out, those channels you mentioned all cost $0.10 to $0.20 per subscriber (except for MTV, and if I could I would get rid of every single M(ORON)TV channel there is) while all the sports channels are anywhere frm $1.00 to $6.00 per subscriber.
Bolt1963
Redondo Beach, CA

1 edit

Bolt1963

said by Strommy:

You are correct it drives the RATE bus, everyone pisses and moans when the rates go up, what is driving that, sports channels. As someone else pointed out, those channels you mentioned all cost $0.10 to $0.20 per subscriber (except for MTV, and if I could I would get rid of every single M(ORON)TV channel there is) while all the sports channels are anywhere frm $1.00 to $6.00 per subscriber.

I threw out a few channels and could add 100 more, they add up. I don't watch TV other than Sports Programming.

You and others don't watch Sports. OK. Fair enough. Like I said, I could bitch and whine about every channel in my package for the most part and know many others who could too.

I understand sports programming is expensive and in high demand. Its viewership is live and in real time. Really the only reason people SHOULD have cable. As a matter of fact, I am completely at a loss why anyone would have cable that doesn't watch sports. Pick up a season of whatever show you watch on DVD or subscribe to HULU or something.

I do agree that sooner or later we will be at a breaking point with ala carte - but your favorite channels that are only costing .10 cents are going to cost much more once we can cut the chord. Same will go for sports obviously - but they will get it and survive.

Again, this is a thread about Verizon keeping subscribers. They are nearly out of time, so you guys won't have to worry about us if they don't carry. Of course they will be forced to carry sooner or later with the great content the network will have - but will be too late for many. Why these negotiations never make sense to me.

One last thing. I don't know how much I pay for YES, but there is definitely a channel that has no business being available nationally since no Yankee games are available outside NY. Now THAT is a waste, we can agree there.

lakerfan82
join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

lakerfan82

Let's get back on topic guys, this is a thread about Pac-12 Network and whether or not Verizon has any plans to carry it. Mods, can someone please delete or move the posts related to sports vs variety channels and a la carte, etc to a new thread?
Bolt1963
Redondo Beach, CA

1 edit

Bolt1963

Wilner says no DirecTV deal this week. Less pressure on Verizon. We all know DirecTV is going to get done eventually, do not understand what is gained by dragging it out.

EDIT - another Wilner tweet.

Also: There will be no deals this week btwn Pac12 and Charter and Fios. (Checking on Dish and U-verse)
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

said by Bolt1963:

Wilner says no DirecTV deal this week. Less pressure on Verizon. We all know DirecTV is going to get done eventually, do not understand what is gained by dragging it out.

EDIT - another Wilner tweet.

Also: There will be no deals this week btwn Pac12 and Charter and Fios. (Checking on Dish and U-verse)

$$$$$$'s

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to billhere

to billhere
said by billhere:

I have no problem with the PAC-12 network being on an extra-cost sports network. I just want to see FiOS add these channels. Supposedly they are in "negotiations" but the football season starts Thursday night.

As a college football fan I would sign up for these channels from September through November at least.

You have no problem, but Pac-12 sure does! They don't want that. Again, what is Verizon's foothold in Pac-12 territory? Not much anymore, after selling off Oregon/Washington to Frontier. And boy, without DirecTV on board, even less pressure as was said. College football has become a total farce. There are a half dozen programs who can legitimately buy their way to the national championship, and that's about it. The rest of the teams are just playing for the sake of it, and the mega-TV deals are definitely part of it. The conference destruction of the last few years is ALL driven by Football TV money, and I feel it's going to ruin the sport.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by Greg2600:

The conference destruction of the last few years is ALL driven by Football TV money, and I feel it's going to ruin the sport.

Not to mention the collateral damage (e.g. Big East basketball).

rantanamo
@verizon.net

rantanamo

Anon

I guess everyone that goes to college in PAC 12 country stays there all their lives? Sorry, but these college channels are national channels, like it or not.
Bolt1963
Redondo Beach, CA

Bolt1963

Regrettably, I made the switch and it turns out, Time Warner was less expensive. My bill all in with Verizon was $230 and some change- Time Warner I am down to $196. Just an added bonus to having access to the PAC 12 Networks.

For those who have the option, suggest you go ahead and pull the trigger. Screw Verizon.

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy

Stupid time warner doesnt have NFL Network or RedZone so forget it.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Bolt1963

to Bolt1963
PAC-12 network is not a good reason to switch to TWC, which is nationally panned as one of the worst services. To lose NFL Network/Red Zone to gain PAC-12, no thanks.

FYI, Frontier FIOS up in the Pacific NW have added PAC-12 Network in SD and HD, as well as PAC-12 Oregon and PAC-12 Washington.

Also, keep in mind that DirecTV, Dish Network, Verizon FiOS nor AT&T U-verse have added this network. Cablevision and I think Comcast don't have it either. So again like beIN sport I find it crazy that it's the provider's fault because the leagues went for a money grab.
Bolt1963
Redondo Beach, CA

2 edits

Bolt1963

Watch my Charger games in full and the other NFL games in full. Personally have no use for NFL Redzone. Will miss NFL Network when my Chargers are on, but will bite the bullet and head to a bar.

Comcast, Time Warner, Cox and Brighthouse all carry the PAC 12 Network. DirecTV will get a deal done sooner rather than later, I just didn't want to wait for it to happen.

Verizon has already lost plenty Los Angeles area subscribers and that number will get much bigger in two weeks when USC plays CAL. They will eventually get a deal done, but by then they will have already lost plenty of affluent subscribers. That's the game of carriage deals, will never make sense to me.

CAL AD making the switch.

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· oRjRBpYc
thorhtpc
join:2012-05-10
Redondo Beach, CA

thorhtpc

Time Warner sucks in Redondo Beach. Heavily over compressed HD, horrible support, and your bill will balloon when your introductory period is over. It would take a Spanish Inquisition to get me to switch back.

Good luck.
Bolt1963
Redondo Beach, CA

Bolt1963

Was talking to the people in this thread who want the PAC 12 Network. If the channel isn't important to you, then stick with Verizon. I held out for as long as I could, did not want to switch. But would miss way too many good PAC 12 sporting events by staying with Verizon. Not only football, but looking forward to Basketball season too. A ton of games.
Bolt1963

Bolt1963 to dcowboy

to dcowboy
said by dcowboy:

Stupid time warner doesnt have NFL Network or RedZone so forget it.

Who would have thought, Time Warner finally getting a deal done with the NFL Network before Verizon and the PAC 12. Wonder how much of Los Angeles Verizon lost this week with USC vs. CAL on tomorrow.

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2 ··· one.html

darasdad
@verizon.net

darasdad to Bolt1963

Anon

to Bolt1963
I live in NYC-I dont care if the Pac 12 network is ever shown here.
Bolt1963
Redondo Beach, CA

Bolt1963

And I live in Los Angeles and couldn't give a **** less about the YES network, especially since they can't show the damn baseball games out of market.

But thanks for chiming in.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA

Premium Member

said by Bolt1963:

And I live in Los Angeles and couldn't give a **** less about the YES network, especially since they can't show the damn baseball games out of market.

But thanks for chiming in.

+1
dsl2fios
join:2005-07-26
Santa Monica, CA

dsl2fios

+1