This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit
reply to StuartMW

Re: Court Upholds Domestic Drone Use in Arrest of US Citizen

Many good posts in this thread.

This development is very alarming indeed. As a nation, I think our arrogance is our downfall. The government's encroachment on our liberties was accelerated by the events of 9-11. We are living in an age where paranoia gives way to federal justification for using any means necessary to relinquish our rights, freedoms, and Constitutional liberties all in the name of 'safety'.

I hate to say it, but if things don't change, I fear that we will end up in:

A Coup,

and/or civil war.
--
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." --- G. K. Chesterton

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to StuartMW
After reading the article, this particular use of a drone doesn't seem like such a big deal. If I was a cop in that situation, I'd want a drone watching my back too, especially if Brossart considers himself a sovereign citizen.

»www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ··· ght-case

...Douglas Manbeck, who is representing the state of North Dakota in the case, says the drone was used after warrants were already issued.
"The alleged crimes were already committed long before a drone was even thought of being used," he says. "It was only used to help assure there weren't weapons and to make [the arrest] safer for both the Brossarts and law enforcement."

--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to StuartMW
whats funny is i have been flying "drones" for the last 10 years
here are some videos

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwnVU7gW ··· VU7gW97E

and

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYJP51PP ··· P51PPBH8

and

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYxiwCtG ··· iwCtG5W0

Academy of Model Aeronautics flying 'Drones' since 1936
»www.modelaircraft.org/

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Do you know how many INNOCENT people have been killed by drone attacks?

On US soil? Maybe on military training exercises, possibly.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to wxboss

Re: Court Upholds Domestic Drone Use in Arrest of US Citizen

said by wxboss:

A Coup,

and/or civil war.

I think your right. Once the Oligarchy takes hold things will get pretty hot.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"I’m not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said, whatever it was.." - Mitt Romney

wxboss
Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

said by SparkChaser:

said by wxboss:

A Coup,

and/or civil war.

I think your right. Once the Oligarchy takes hold things will get pretty hot.

Ultimately, I see us headed down this road . I don't like to be so pessimistic, but as of late, I haven't seen anything that would make me optimistic.

I just don't see any real change coming from or within our government. It's reach will expand (as it already has) even more beyond the boundaries that were originally set for it.

This country was born from great principles and will be destroyed by small ones.

Subsidiarity is an option no longer available within our borders - that is because our government no longer recognizes borders.
--
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." --- G. K. Chesterton

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to StuartMW
after a few "drone strikes" pilots will be complaining, if they live, that is. as well as homeowners whose house was crashed into by a drone that malfunctioned.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
reply to elios
Its not the government's drones you should be worrying about, its my drones

Blake
Cyberdyne Systems

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
Are you a T101, T800 or T-X?

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
said by StuartMW:

Are you a T101, T800 or T-X?

T-Z but don't tell anyone.

Drones are within grasp of just about anyone as the level of technology available to the 'man on the street' is simply incredible and as elios See Profile as shown, a trip to youtube can prove it (and I wouldn't say that his examples were anywhere near the best examples, nor are mine). For example $730 gets you one of these:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkMiIT1V ··· embedded

»www.multiwiicopter.com/products/ ··· v-reconn

or a ELEV-8 Quadcopter for $600 »www.parallax.com/tabid/768/Produ ··· ult.aspx

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQFHaAo4 ··· HaAo4GdU

which as a 2lb capacity, know what you can build within 2lbs.

If you want something a little higher tech (by next year even the basic quadcopter will be at this level of technology)

»www.sensefly.com/products/swingl ··· glet-cam

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by jaykaykay:

And so it begins, although I am not certain that this first case isn't justified in a drone's use.

I disagree. Although this guy sounds like he's guilty once the precedent of using military surveillance technology (drones) for domestic law enforcement is set it'll soon become the norm.

Drones can, and probably will, have more than visible spectrum camera's on them. Law enforcement will be able to see through your walls (e.g. with infrared) and who knows what else.

Do you really want to go there?
(Probably too late now anyway...)

No. Of course I don't want drones being used by other than those in the military or pseudo military, such as on our border. Of course, the problem with any use of drones means that they will be used by anyone and everyone. As I noted, the privacy protection is of big interest to me. As I also said, it's a slippery slope. I have always believed in Franklin's comment: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".

In using them on our borders, which I approve of, living in a border state where I feel any way to stop terrorists from entering our country is fair game, but there I go...giving up essential liberty! It's a very slippery slope, and I certainly don't have the answer. I want my freedom back, but I assure you, none of us will ever see it again. Those things that are slipping away, some of which I agree with, are not temporary.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by jaykaykay:

I want my freedom back, but I assure you, none of us will ever see it again.

Not by any peaceful method...
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to StuartMW
i read on a link they want to have 30,000 drones patrolling the U.S. air traffic control is bad enough without having to worry about crashes with these things!. just crazy!.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to StuartMW
Army Tests Spy Blimp Over NJ
Manufacturer Northrop Grumman says the 302-foot long airship is designed to be a high altitude observation platform

The Army is testing its $517 million spy blimp in the skies over the New Jersey military base where the German airship Hindenburg crashed in 1937.

The Long Endurance Multi-Intelligence Vehicle spent more than 90 minutes around Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst in Ocean County on Tuesday.

Manufacturer Northrop Grumman says the 302-foot long airship is designed to be a high altitude observation platform.

It can be operated by a crew or by remote control.

Army spokesman John Cummings tells the Asbury Park Press the primary objective of the maiden flight was to perform a safe launch and recovery.

The airship is 100 feet longer than the Goodyear Blimp and is filled with helium.

The Hindenburg was filled with hydrogen when it burst into flames at Lakehurst, killing 36 people.

»www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Ar ··· 076.html
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

2 edits
There is nothing new in the use of airships by our military:

»www.military.com/slideshows/rise ··· ron.html

The Goodyear Blimp exists because Goodyear had a contract with the Navy during the Cold War under which Goodyear built blimps for anti-sub patrol. Added: OK, that's my opinion, but I don't think Goodyear would have been able to sustain their blimp operations without having had military contracts.

I believe the Army was working on airships back in the 1990s at the Yuma proving ground, but only because I saw an unmarked airship operating there around that time.

Here is something more to the point, from the CBO in November 2011.

»www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/ ··· hips.pdf

--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by jaykaykay:

Wonderful. And so it begins, although I am not certain that this first case isn't justified in a drone's use. I am personally happy with drones being used but ride the fence and am unhappy as well. It's a sticky slope we're in, as indicated by a statement made in this article.

Wondering what they would do if I deployed surplus camouflage netting over my back yard?

If I was in the country and not in town with neighbors with two story house's I could just walk around outside naked. That would stop any surveillance.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Domestic Spying: Mini-Drone Can Watch Neighbors From Above

WASHINGTON (CBS) – Your neighbors’ fences are no longer tall enough.

While President Obama takes flack for the US’s use of unmanned drone attacks abroad, there is a smaller, smartphone-controlled drone hovering above urban rooftops and suburban backyards: The Parrot AR Drone 2.0.

The Parrot AR Drone 2.0, listed on Amazon just below $300, is the best way to live out one’s fantasy of being a spy. The miniature drone is controlled through your iPhone or iPad and features multiple sensors, including a hi-definition front-facing 720-pixel camera and a vertical camera looking straight down from the bottom of the miniature quadricopter (four propellers).

»washington.cbslocal.com/2012/08/ ··· m-above/
--
Gladiator Security Forum

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Now that's pretty slick.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
Boeing Demonstrates Drones That Perform Like ‘Swarm Of Insects’

SEATTLE (CBS Seattle) — Boeing engineers and researchers from Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory successfully demonstrated a “swarm” of drones to be used in battle.

According to a Boeing press release, the researchers and engineers conducted the test flights in Oregon in June using two ScanEagle drones which performed like a “swarm of insects.”

The flight operator was able to connect with the autonomous drones using only a laptop and a military radio. Boeing engineers said the drones were able to complete tasks more efficiently by communicating with each other.

“This swarm technology may one day enable warfighters in battle to request and receive time-critical intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance information directly from airborne (unmanned aerial vehicles) much sooner than they can from ground control stations today,” Gabriel Santander, program director of Advanced Autonomous Networks for Boeing Phantom Works, said in the press release. “Swarm network technology has the potential to offer more missions at less risk and lower operating costs.”

»seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/08/10/ ··· insects/

Next time you can be the test dummy...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhZfFKwA ··· &list=UL

--
Gladiator Security Forum

wxboss
Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

Now that's pretty slick.

Right. Now that the government has violated our privacy with their drones, we can now access similar technology that allows us to easily violate the privacy of our fellow neighbors and community.

I don't know about you, but I just got a warm and fuzzy feeling.
--

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to Name Game
What happens if your "swarm" gets hacked?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

Now that's pretty slick.

Until one of those things is hovering over your back yard and/or looking through your windows,
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

What happens if your "swarm" gets hacked?

Imagine Hitchcock's "The Birds", only with hostile drone-bots...
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775