All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

With the other post about Stallman it looks as this could be a "game changer" for Linux. I certainly would switch to Linux only if it has all the AAA games. Do you guys think Valve and the Linux community could pull this one off?

»www.itproportal.com/2012 ··· ndows-8/

In the 21 years or so since its inception, Linux has gained some amazing enthusiast street cred, but failed time and again to enter the mainstream. This year, however, may afford it an opportunity it’s never had before: To gain the momentum necessary to join the big boys in the operating system world. If that happens, Linux devotees the world over – from users to developers to even Linus Torvalds himself – may have Microsoft and Windows 8 to thank.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

At least Windows 8 creates such opportunity. Will it be materialized, we will see...
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
Could it? Yes it could. Will it? I sincerely hope so! Sure with vista and DX10 OGL had and missed its chance to take off, but this is different/ This time Linux has valve backing it up, not only that but minecraft runs on linux with no modifications or porting needed(I can finally admit java isnt all bad, not sure how to feel about that). Its gonna have l4d2 and minecraft, two of my favorite games, on it hopefully by the time windows 8 launches. And blizzard has an unreleased wow client for linux, with any luck they will put it out about the same time as valve does steam/l4d2 to deliver a one two punch.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI to DarkSithPro

MVM

to DarkSithPro
Linux got a shot-in-the-arm at Vista time. I remember watching Linux development soar as if they were in a race and it heated even more when Windows 7 was announced.

But Linux seemed not quite ready, then, to take hold. Time will tell if this go around will cross a critical mass. I have to believe getting pre-installed Linux would be absolutely needed to make it take off so the right things have to happen.

Just my 2 cents.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

I certainly would switch to Linux only if it has all the AAA games.

So many people's sole reason for owning a computer is to play games. They should just get a XBox and stay off the 'net.
quote:
In the 21 years or so since its inception, Linux has gained some amazing enthusiast street cred, but failed time and again to enter the mainstream. This year, however, may afford it an opportunity it’s never had before: To gain the momentum necessary to join the big boys in the operating system world.

And uninformed comments like this will abound if Windows users did switch to some Linux distribution. Windows users think there is nothing beyond Windows while we sit here sending messages back and forth over a mostly Linux internet through our Linux based router after watching TV on our Linux based DVR all created by scientists using Linux based computers. And this guy thinks Linux needs "street cred" from Windows users?!

An aside: I used the term Linux because this poster has probably never heard of them but, as most here know, I include Unix/BSD in the mix. I, for one, am glad I'm a FreeBSD user and hopefully will never get involved in this.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

But Linux seemed not quite ready, then, to take hold.

I love this one. It's as if, for years Linux has been sitting right behind the finish line of "readiness", but never quite making it over.
Linux has been ready for years. So many things are already easier than Windows, and there's a lot of goodness coming that even OSX is not providing.
Will Windows 8 and Valve provide the missing pieces for mass acceptance. I'm not holding my breath.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
A couple of comments:

1. With Windows 8, Microsoft seems to be behaving as if the traditional desktop PC market is already saturated, and thus they're paying attention to tablet and mobile uses. If MS is correct there, there's little slack for Linux to pick up: the last major holdout of desktoip users, the office, is not about to switch from Win7 (or XP) to Linux. (There are of course computing aficionados, but Win8 isn't likely to change their minds one way or another, at least not in quantity. I for one will likely sit out Win8 unless I happen to buy a new computer, but that does not mean I'll change to Linux).

2. Be careful what you wish for. Do you really want hordes of the clueless using your OS and making demands? I think NT started to go downhill after the DOS/Windows crowd were moved onto it, and the OS started to become a home/entertainment OS.

3. No comment from me on games as driver for migration: don't know, don't care about them.
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy to Maxo

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

said by Bill_MI:

But Linux seemed not quite ready, then, to take hold.

I love this one. It's as if, for years Linux has been sitting right behind the finish line of "readiness", but never quite making it over.
Linux has been ready for years. So many things are already easier than Windows, and there's a lot of goodness coming that even OSX is not providing.
Will Windows 8 and Valve provide the missing pieces for mass acceptance. I'm not holding my breath.

So many things are already easier than Windows?

LOL! Thanks for the laugh ;p

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by Razzy:

So many things are already easier than Windows?

LOL! Thanks for the laugh ;p

Then why are you even here? This is a Unix forum. Of course people here believe in Unix technologies like Linux.
Razzy

Razzy

I'm using Linux....... I have a Gentoo box at the moment. I've been using Linux since the Slackware days in 1996. Slackware, Redhat, Debian, Gentoo and Arch Linux.

I use both but Windows as desktop obviously.
HoboJ
join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON

1 recommendation

HoboJ to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
Until you find linux pre-installed on computers sold at bestbuy, etc you'll never see it take off spectacularly. Most people don't care whatsoever about what OS their computer is running, they just want it to work right out of the pretty box they bought it in.

Of course this doesn't mean we wont have more people using linux on the desktop after Windows 8 failboats. It's just a little insane to think that linux will magically fly onto everyones computers should they severely dislike Windows 8.
DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

Why do I get the feeling a lot of Linux users don't want it to take off? Is Linux a hobby to tinker with, or just a reliable Operating System/s?

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro

(topic move) Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 10 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »OT
Razzy

Razzy to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

»linuxfonts.narod.ru/why. ··· ent.html
DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

Long list. ATi and nVidia really need to get their drivers working properly. The open source drivers are a joke and Ati and nVidia are not going to OS their compiler tech.

No_Strings

The OC

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

Why do I get the feeling a lot of Linux users don't want it to take off? Is Linux a hobby to tinker with, or just a reliable Operating System/s?

While I'm sure there are folks who fit that description, I don't think it's a fair generalization.

There are many people, like myself, who advocate the adoption of Linux and Open Source and think it would be great to have it showing up in greater numbers in everything from embedded systems, datacenters and desktops.

I'm also pragmatic about it, understanding that not everyone shares my interests. More importantly, I realize the in-your-face zealotry, often accompanied by childish derision of other choices that is sometimes wielded by OSS fanatics is counter productive. If I want someone to try my alternative, it's probably not a good selling strategy to start the conversation with "Your choice is stupid."

As for the thread topic, I suspect Win8 will bring some new Linux converts - a few more will test the waters and decide it's not for them. Mostly, enterprises will drag their feet, tech writers will postulate, enthusiasts will adopt early and alternatively praise and damn and consumers will mostly ignore it until their next device comes with it.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

Long list. ATi and nVidia really need to get their drivers working properly. The open source drivers are a joke and Ati and nVidia are not going to OS their compiler tech.

Strange, I have no problems using nouveau. Why is it a joke?
DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to No_Strings

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

said by DarkSithPro:

While I'm sure there are folks who fit that description, I don't think it's a fair generalization.

There are many people, like myself, who advocate the adoption of Linux and Open Source and think it would be great to have it showing up in greater numbers in everything from embedded systems, datacenters and desktops.

I'm also pragmatic about it, understanding that not everyone shares my interests. More importantly, I realize the in-your-face zealotry, often accompanied by childish derision of other choices that is sometimes wielded by OSS fanatics is counter productive. If I want someone to try my alternative, it's probably not a good selling strategy to start the conversation with "Your choice is stupid."

As for the thread topic, I suspect Win8 will bring some new Linux converts - a few more will test the waters and decide it's not for them. Mostly, enterprises will drag their feet, tech writers will postulate, enthusiasts will adopt early and alternatively praise and damn and consumers will mostly ignore it until their next device comes with it.

That sounds more like a reactive approach rather than a proactive approach. Creating a great distro and posting it online to spike peoples interests. That is the extent of what's being offered on the table? Rather than finding other creative ways to spike interest and adoption. Now I know It's possible for Linux to gain a large amount of market share based on what happened with Fire-Fox. They designed a browser that overtook IE, by making it better with plug-ins, extensions, standards, and better privacy and security. Like I've said in other posts Gretzky once said a good player plays where the puck is, a great player plays where the puck will be.
DarkSithPro

DarkSithPro (banned) to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:

said by DarkSithPro:

Strange, I have no problems using nouveau. Why is it a joke?

I want more than basic 3d acceleration. I want all the features offered on the 400 dollar box I payed for.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Not very informative.

No_Strings

The OC

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

That sounds more like a reactive approach rather than a proactive approach. Creating a great distro and posting it online to spike peoples interests. That is the extent of what's being offered on the table? Rather than finding other creative ways to spike interest and adoption.

There is plenty of marketing, which is what you're describing, of Linux. It's fragmented, though. Red Hat is chasing a different demographic than Canonical is with Ubuntu, etc. There's no single, inclusive entity driving a common goal of choking Microsoft or Apple.

Open vs. proprietary, "free" vs. commercial. Different approaches.

As for trying to get ahead of the game, Canonical seems to be setting its sights on the tablet/mobile market just like Microsoft, and are developing accordingly. I'm not smart enough to predict the next big wave.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
Just a general response to the OP:

I think Win8 will have a similar effect on Linux that Vista did, it's going to be pretty bad, and will generate a lot of interest in Desktop friendly Linuxes like Mint, Ubuntu, and others...

This time around though, I think would an excellent opportunity for "Desktop Linux" (if I can make up that term) to polish a product that would be non-intimidating to non-technical people that don't have friends who can walk them through the basics of getting started on Ubuntu.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

With the other post about Stallman it looks as this could be a "game changer" for Linux. I certainly would switch to Linux only if it has all the AAA games. Do you guys think Valve and the Linux community could pull this one off?

I hope so. I also have doubts that the other pieces needed will come together quickly enough to capitalize.

Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 comes to mind, it was a Linux native AAA title with an engine that other studios could use. Many, many titles used the Unreal engine, almost none of them released a Linux version

2004 saw a MAJOR title that was native to Linux about to be released. It turned out to be the world's most popular game, ever, in the history of mankind. World of Warcraft was Linux native until patch 0.6, the support was yanked before it graduated from alpha to closed beta. A shame, really, it ran very well for me. Wine is actively supported today, though, so while not "Native" it is unofficially supported by the developers (Warden does indeed look for Wine and support it).

2012 sees talk of porting 2-3 year old mediocre selling games to Linux by a publisher/studio, Valve, and an engine with nice benefits and real AAA potential existing, Heaven. A boost no doubt, but realistically looking at the situation, it may not "trickle" to the explosion many hope. It is still VERY positive and exciting for Linux!

What differs between now and 2003/4? Hopefully that can be figured out and this isn't another "fizzle-pop" moment

I also question the "exodus" due to Windows 8. Vista should be remembered, it emboldened the previous Windows version, not Linux. With the time separation between 7 and 8 so tight (in relation to the gap between XP and Vista) and XBox 720 coming in 2013 with tighter integration (DirectX 11.1) between it and Windows game development, the likes of DICE, IW, Treyarch, Bethesda, Activision, Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, etc. fully adopting Linux in 2013 is quite the stretch.

Game changer? Perhaps! That would be cool, competition is sorely lacking. Excuse me if I laugh at those claiming 2013 to be "the year of Linux", though. Too soon. The "public" doesn't move that fast. If 2013 continues to grow in Linux support, 2014/2015 may see the gains some have long sought for.
Razzy

Razzy to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I think Win8 will have a similar effect on Linux that Vista did, it's going to be pretty bad, and will generate a lot of interest in Desktop friendly Linuxes like Mint, Ubuntu, and others...

This time around though, I think would an excellent opportunity for "Desktop Linux" (if I can make up that term) to polish a product that would be non-intimidating to non-technical people that don't have friends who can walk them through the basics of getting started on Ubuntu.

Except the fact there IS desktop in Windows 8.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Razzy:

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to tell me.
Razzy

Razzy

Ah nm I misunderstood you I guess. Sorry.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Razzy:

Ah nm I misunderstood you I guess. Sorry.

No problem

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to Razzy

Premium Member

to Razzy
said by Razzy:

said by El Quintron:

Having a "start screen" isn't new to Linux users, Gnome 3 and Unity predate Windows 8

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to No_Strings

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

*nix already DOMINATES all those (except the desktop) and Windows is virtually non-existant.
Razzy

Razzy

said by howardfine:

said by No_Strings:

*nix already DOMINATES all those (except the desktop) and Windows is virtually non-existant.

Really? My brand new touchscreen credit card machine has Windows CE. All of businesses here have Windows Servers.