Flagger
Premium
join:2001-08-10
Weimville

What do u do when you get a grey market camera

Click for full size
Canon PowerShot A720 IS
5.8mm 1/60th F2.8 ISO160

Ordered a new Nikon D7000 from buy.com that was fulfilled by BIGVALUEINC. Nothing on the order page or description page indicated it was a grey market camera. Arrived today and you can tell this was for the German market.

The plug for the charger is quite obviously european and won't work at my home in the good ole USA.

Neither buy.com or buyvalueinc will return my calls or emails. I will be disputing this purchase, but I am just slightly pissed!

WWYD?
--
Follow us on twitter * Become our friend on Facebook * Read our BLOG

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
I always check www.resellerratings.com before buying and if they look shady, I wont use them. Looks like the ratings are pretty bad for buy.com

did you purchase with a credit card? Have them deal with them if you did.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Flagger
Did you get a good deal over as US version?
Does it really matter that it was originally sold in germany?
(Does it mean you get no warranty or did you even expect a warranty from Nikon on the camera?)
You can buy the US ac cord for like $2 or just get a euro to us adaptor for like $2.
»www.amazon.com/1-5M-2-Slot-Stand···d_cp_p_3
Radioshack sells the us plug for $10.
»www.radioshack.com/product/index···=3875428

I guess it comes down to did you get a really good deal over buying the US market camera. If so then just keep it and buy a new plug or adaptor for cheap.
The camera is the same if you buy it in germany or the us.

Now if you lose out on the warranty then it could be a problem.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
reply to Flagger
said by Flagger:

Neither buy.com or buyvalueinc will return my calls or emails. I will be disputing this purchase, but I am just slightly pissed!

WWYD?

Two words charge-back.

I have found merchants suddenly become a bit more cooperative whence they have had the payment frozen pending a resolution of your dispute.

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits
reply to Flagger
Decide to live with it or return in in sellers return time frame, as unused as possible.

And yes if CC can't hurt to start a dispute. If you can still access the sales page, copy it as evidence if it does not state somewhere as not being US market product.

Did that with a TV once posted to be 1080p when actually only 1080i capable, meaning up scaled 720p and no 1080p.
Never went to the CC. Was home at delivery I refused delivery (as box was clearly marked as 1080i capable), and having the page,

Actually corrected before my complaint which got my suspicions up having rechecked it for some reason, but still had the original page in my browser cache and after saving it and checking other sources and seeing two very similar models but at cost I paid was the 1080i. Why when home for the delivery instantly checked the box for specs. Sent them the original page with my complaint and time frame, and they swapped it out for the proper claimed spec model free of all shipping costs.

Only person not happy was the UPS guy it was a bulky 42", and of course the seller that I caught them (don't remember who, and someone really had no other problems with over time, likely was an honest mistake)
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to mromero
Lol. That is pathetic attempt to say we really, really want you to buy the camera for more money from your country not from one where we sell the exact same camera for cheaper. It says they still honor the warranty if you ship to the country it was bought in.

The only reason to return the camera is you would dont want the slight hassle to ship it back to germany for warranty repair (if it does not have one anymore then it wont matter). If you got a really, really good deal like half price then who cares.
It really comes down to what you paid vs US version.
If they wont refund, then do a chargeback.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
said by r81984:

The only reason to return the camera is you would dont want the slight hassle to ship it back to germany for warranty repair (if it does not have one anymore then it wont matter). If you got a really, really good deal like half price then who cares.
It really comes down to what you paid vs US version.
If they wont refund, then do a chargeback.

Which raises the question of whether the camera has a valid European Warranty. Even if it does, shipping a camera back and forth to Europe isn't cheap and can take some time. This Spring I considered shipping my scanner back to Nikon in Long Island and, with insurance at the current replacement cost, it would've cost over $100 via UPS. Just imagine what it would cost to send a similar item to Europe!

Once you add in the cost of a US plug for the charger, an English Language Manual, decreased resale value, and the hassle of getting any kind of warranty work, this camera might wind up costing more than its US Warranty counterpart.

Pin
Premium
join:2002-06-19
The Dungeon
reply to Flagger
You simply need to decide if the $50 to $100 cheaper grey market price for Nikon is worth the 1 Yr Warranty ( grey ) or 5 Yr Warranty ( USA ). The only difference , besides power receptacles, is the warranty offered. All the US Nikon distributors offer the grey market versions also, but they tell you that you are only getting a 1 yr warranty.

I've used the Nikon warranty 5 times now, 2 with a 3rd party Nikon warranty outfit and 3 times with Nikon in New York. The 2 times with 3rd party I paid to have Nikon New York actually fix it after the 3rd party made it worse for free under warranty. Plus Nikon New York had reasonable prices for repair and did the repair correctly compared to the Nikon repair facility Peachtree "blank" in Atlanta, GA.
--
time nor tide wait for no man...

JTM1051
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
Moorpark, CA
reply to Flagger
The "reputable" on-line stores clearly label items that are "Grey Market" and post their policies/support for Grey Market Products:
»www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCe···Grey.jsp

As noted previously, do some research a on-line retailer's reputation prior to placing an order: »www.resellerratings.com/store/buy

Hope it works out OK for you.