spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stephan_S

@rogers.com

Rogers New Ultimate Package

Hey guys i just heard that the new Ultimate package is 150 Mbits Download!!, also the upload will be 10 Mbits, not updated in Rogers.com but im thinking its not going to cost $99 anymore, seems like only some area are capable of receiving these speeds. Hopefully my area is ready!

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14

250GB limit at 75Mbps means you reach your cap at full speeds in approximately 7 and a half hours.

So now you can do that in under 4 hours. Yay?

Pesterd

@rogers.com
reply to Stephan_S

Could you provide a little more info? Where did you hear this and anything else?

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to scubascythan

said by scubascythan:

and remember that the overage is now $100 not $50

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to Stephan_S

So let's say, for the sake of argument, that the new price is $125 plus the $100 for overage = $225 + $29.25 HST = $254.25 per month for Internet?? ARE PEOPLE FRIGGIN' NUTS!!!!!

Raptor
Not a Dumptruck

join:2001-10-21
London, ON
reply to Stephan_S

said by Stephan_S :

Hey guys i just heard...

Source...?
--
....where's my fiber?

Jhero
Premium
join:2003-10-10
Ottawa, ON
reply to Stephan_S

I'm definitely been benchmarking faster lately (90mbit+) in Kanata

Maybe there's hope

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

reply to scubascythan

said by scubascythan:

250GB limit at 75Mbps means you reach your cap at full speeds in approximately 7 and a half hours.

Ridiculously low caps aside, I still don't get why people keep saying stuff like "at this speed you'll reach your cap in so much time". That makes no sense unless, I don't know, you download torrents 24/7 at full speed, which is kind of unlikely for most, if not all users.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to Pesterd

It's definitely true and is only available in certain areas. Just like the higher upstream, your account must have a "105 mbps downstream available" tag for you to receive it. Not sure if there is any price difference. Between the 105 and the current ultimate tier. Seems kind of frivolous to me. Very few people need such fast download speeds and Bell can't even come close to matching their current downstream tiers. What Rogers really needs to focus on is increasing the upstream on their current tiers. Bell offers 10 up on their Express competitive offering while Rogers only offers 2 up.

ABCarr

join:2012-08-03

1 edit

I found this out yesterday. I had called to see if my area is capable of 10Mbps uploads, was told it is, and was told I should expect (up to) 150Mbps downloads as part of the new package. Same price as the old Ultimate.

Raptor
Not a Dumptruck

join:2001-10-21
London, ON

And where are you located?
--
....where's my fiber?

ABCarr

Richmond Hill......near Yonge and 19th/Gamble Rd.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to ABCarr

said by ABCarr:

I found this out yesterday. I had called to see if my area is capable of 10Mbps uploads, was told it is, and was told I should expect (up to) 150Mbps downloads as part of the new package. Same price as the old Ultimate.

That is incorrect. Just double checked with my sources. There is a package that is literally called "New Ultimate" and will offer those speeds but it will be $122 a month. The current ultimate package with 75mbps will remain as is until further notice.

ABCarr

said by yyzlhr :

said by ABCarr:

That is incorrect. Just double checked with my sources. There is a package that is literally called "New Ultimate" and will offer those speeds but it will be $122 a month. The current ultimate package with 75mbps will remain as is until further notice.

If what you say is true, it is contrary to what customer service told me yesterday. I asked them more than a couple of times if the cost would change, and was assured it would not. If they try to increase my monthly charge, I will have more than a few things to say to them.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

said by ABCarr:

If what you say is true, it is contrary to what customer service told me yesterday. I asked them more than a couple of times if the cost would change, and was assured it would not.

Perish the thought. Somebody actually thinking a Rogers CSR would lie on the phone about customer billing. Unbelieveable. If you can't trust the Saints at Rogers, well........we all know Rogers isn't in it for the money. They just love making customers happy......

yyzlhr

@74.198.9.x
reply to ABCarr

Your monthly charges will not increase, your download speeds will remain at 75mbps. 105mbps is offered through a new tier called "new ultimate", will likely change to a different name when it is more widely available. The current ultimate tier remains unchanged.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
reply to MichelR

said by MichelR:

Ridiculously low caps aside, I still don't get why people keep saying stuff like "at this speed you'll reach your cap in so much time". That makes no sense unless, I don't know, you download torrents 24/7 at full speed, which is kind of unlikely for most, if not all users.

+1^

Also is it 105 Mbit/s or 150 Mbit/s?

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
reply to Stephan_S

In all seriousness, I have never understood why Rogers packages are not say, 20/20, 30/30/, 50/50 etc. And why is there only a 4mbps difference between Extreme and Extreme Plus. When you step back and look at things, it's way out of sync. As far as the "new" Ultimate goes, 150/10 is so far out of whack it doesn't make sense. 150/75 would be reasonable for that kind of cash. Most folks these days spend half their time uploading.
And with bandwidth costing Rogers next to nothing these days (forum news) why not return to Unlimited status? I mean, if Rogers can give away $700 IPads, $400 XBoxes etc. Surely they're not making that big of a buck on Overage charges. As it stands now, it's just nickel and diming the customer.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to scubascythan

said by scubascythan:

lmao i love comments like these. It's shit like this that make every internet user a target for piracy as if we all download 24\7 day and night.

My wife has Ultimate setup for work, but of course i use it for downloading, netflix etc. Though the cap could be better, i don't download day and night.

Point in speeds like that is like last night when i wanted something on our 75 meg line that runs at 101 easy we downloaded it in 2 minutes and were able enjoy our night. For our household we do hit the 250 gig cap each month with about 3-4 gigs to spare.

Though we should be offered UNLIMITED in Canada and join the times, speeds don't HAVE to match caps.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

In all seriousness, I have never understood why Rogers packages are not say, 20/20, 30/30/, 50/50 etc. And why is there only a 4mbps difference between Extreme and Extreme Plus. When you step back and look at things, it's way out of sync. As far as the "new" Ultimate goes, 150/10 is so far out of whack it doesn't make sense. 150/75 would be reasonable for that kind of cash. Most folks these days spend half their time uploading.
And with bandwidth costing Rogers next to nothing these days (forum news) why not return to Unlimited status? I mean, if Rogers can give away $700 IPads, $400 XBoxes etc. Surely they're not making that big of a buck on Overage charges. As it stands now, it's just nickel and diming the customer.

Cable is upstream constrained. The frequency split on HFC networks is such that upstream resources are limited. That's why you don't see 20/20, 30/30 and 50/50...
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

elitefx

London, ON

4 edits

said by HeadSpinning:

Cable is upstream constrained. The frequency split on HFC networks is such that upstream resources are limited. That's why you don't see 20/20, 30/30 and 50/50...

Yea, apparently + currently in N. America Rogers and the rest of them are using the lower end of the spectrum (5-23mhz) to pump out their so called digital uploads. It's actually a digital over analogue network. All this high def cable/Docsis 3 nonsense Rogers is passing off as Digital is really the same old analogue system used for the past 60 years or so. They get away with it using QAM. QAM stands for Quadrature Amplitude Modulation. QAM is used to transport digital information over an analogue transmission network. Quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) which is both an analog and a digital modulation scheme. It conveys two analog message signals, or two digital bit streams, by changing (modulating) the amplitudes of two carrier waves, using the amplitude-shift keying (ASK) digital modulation scheme or amplitude modulation (AM) analog modulation scheme. The two carrier waves, usually sinusoids, are out of phase with each other by 90° and are thus called quadrature carriers or quadrature components — hence the name of the scheme.

Our upload speeds will always be crippled until Rogers comes out of the stone age and actually delivers real digital cable internet/television. Once again I feel sorry for all the hapless victims out there paying an arm and a leg for a Rogers Digital terminal etc. when it's the same ole cable analogue network they've had for years.
On the Internet side, that's why there's no channel bonding and 2 of my 4 upload channels are shut down by Rogers. Rogers would need to use up to 65mhz to deliver the goods.
Some networks are not yet equipped to enable upstream transmissions up to 65 MHz, they have a “low split” which stops at a lower frequency, e.g. 23 MHz.

Always wondered why Rogers was so anxious that everybody get one of their boxes. All the terminal does is take a digital signal and convert it to run on an analogue network but in a high resolution format so folks will think it's true digital TV. If you want real Digital then switch to satellite because Rogers aint where it's at.

Facts courtesy of:
"Cable Network Handbook
Date: October 1, 2009
Version: 4.3"

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

And what technology do you suppose Rogers and other MSOs use? QAM is used by practically every cable provider in the world in some way, shape, or form.

Cable Dude 5

@rogers.com

Man, his info is very erroneous at best. First of all the standard bandwidth used for upstream traffic in North America is 5-42 MHZ, not 5-23 MHZ. Europe uses 5-65 MHZ approx. In Fact, FIOS uses QAM as well and that's delivered over Fibre. Cable cannot deliver Ethernet in its pure form over cable. Square wave for digital is not possible over CATV, but QAM does a very effective job of delivering 1's and 0's, or digital data, it's just not square wave. Yes, it's an analog representation of digital data, but its still digital. CATV is NOT an analog network, it's an RF Network that uses RF signals modulated at many different frequencies to deliver tv signals and internet. Another fact, most of the large MSO's already have FTTN architectures in place, with short runs of coax to the home. That could be eventually expanded to deliver fibre to the home, or in select buildings that already have optical nodes, the spare bandwidth on existing fibre can be split off to deliver 1Gbps services over ethernet, bypassing any RF connections. CATV systems are far from obosolete.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Once again I feel sorry for all the hapless victims out there paying an arm and a leg for a Rogers Digital terminal etc. when it's the same ole cable analogue network they've had for years.

I admit I don't fully understand the point of this rant. Signals are a function of amplitude, phase, and frequency. Digital signals are encoded using these attributes. OK. And this is bad, particularly to the fools who are not aware, why exactly?

Maybe I impress easily but the advancement in low level encoding technology and the resulting gain in usable bandwidth is really impressive. If there is anything to complain about its the lack of investment in packet buffering and queueing technology so that voice and video applications are consistanty smooth and usable. I believe some of the foot dragging is because fixing these issues will lead to cannibalizing existing voice and video infrastructure. The cash cows have been milked. It's time for the telcos to move more quickly.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
reply to Cable Dude 5

said by Cable Dude 5 :

Man, his info is very erroneous at best.

Well, don't let the truth and cold hard facts sway your opinion in any way. I didn't write the handbook. And as far as "Yes, it's an analog representation of digital data, but its still digital" well....if people choose to believe that a "representation" of something is the same as the real thing that's their choice. I just reported the facts as presented to me.

The Cable Network Handbook can be downloaded here: »docbox.etsi.org/Etsi_Cenelec/PUB···v4-3.pdf

Rayson

join:2004-01-01
Canada
reply to Cable Dude 5

said by Cable Dude 5 :

Man, his info is very erroneous at best....

Square wave for digital is not possible over CATV, but QAM does a very effective job of delivering 1's and 0's, or digital data, it's just not square wave. Yes, it's an analog representation of digital data, but its still digital. CATV is NOT an analog network,

+1

Almost every "digital" signal used in the real world is an analog representation of digital data.

Rise time & fall time can't be zero, and so we can't get a perfect square wave.

elitefx

London, ON

said by Rayson:

Rise time & fall time can't be zero, and so we can't get a perfect square wave.

Well, to layman like myself I find this whole issue a revelation. I'll bet 99% of Rogers Digital subscribers had no idea that they were purchasing a "simulated/representative" Digital Package. Would it have affected their decision to choose Rogers over satellite, who knows? But they should have been aware of this info when making their decision.
Is this important? It would be to me. Let the customer decide.
Thanks to all the members here that actually know about this stuff. You make this forum a great place to learn.

Pesterd

@rogers.com

Went from Rogers bringing higher download speeds to 'Digital vs Analog'

>_>

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Pesterd :

Went from Rogers bringing higher download speeds to 'Digital vs Analog'

>_>

Pissing contests and debates are the norm on these forums these days

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Well, to layman like myself I find this whole issue a revelation. I'll bet 99% of Rogers Digital subscribers had no idea that they were purchasing a "simulated/representative" Digital Package. Would it have affected their decision to choose Rogers over satellite, who knows? But they should have been aware of this info when making their decision.

All digital signals are "simulated" using analog waves over a physical medium. The analog waves are measured using amplitude, phase, and frequency. This includes cable, satellite, ethernet, wireless, fibre, ... everything.

Rogers and Bell take compressed feeds from a content provider via satellite, decode, re-encode for their purposes usually compressing even more than the source feed, send to the consumer where the signal is decoded and re-formatted for display. The constant decoding, and re-encoding causes all kinds of digital artifacts that makes content look like shit ... particularly compared to a better quality source like BluRay.